Golf etiquette

Old 04-18-2024, 08:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,328 Times in 601 Posts
Default Golf etiquette

The last two times I’ve played, people fill out their scorecards right after holing out. They stand on the green or on the edge of the green which slows down pace of play.

I was taught to get off the green as soon as everyone is finished and to record your score on the next tee box.

This is from the Villages website.

When the play of a hole has been completed, players should immediately leave the putting green.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:06 AM

Lots of new golfers unaware of golf etiquette: the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group.
"the rules of etiquette are changing".

Or, People who won't remember what they scored by the next Tee.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:13 AM
Gold member

It's a lack of awareness. My Dad was insistent that I always think about the people playing behind me, always. And that included moving to the next tee before writing down scores.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
It's a lack of awareness. My Dad was insistent that I always think about the people playing behind me, always. And that included moving to the next tee before writing down scores.
I think that is true. Lots of folks who play the executive courses, especially now during high ‘bird season, just don’t know. I recall some time back I saw a guy with a pull cart on the green (we were playing behind them). We caught up to them waiting on the next tee and I mentioned, good-naturedly, that if an ambassador saw him doing that it would be pointed out that such an act is verboten in TV. He was honestly surprised; apparently he was not a permanent Villager and honestly didn’t know that such was not allowed. For the rest of the round, at least, he kept his pull cart well off to the side of the greens.

But, of course, there are those who think that doing things like fixing ball marks or raking traps is somehow beneath them…
Old 04-19-2024, 09:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I think that is true. Lots of folks who play the executive courses, especially now during high ‘bird season, just don’t know.
I agree with you. Many people have never played golf until they moved here and just don’t know golf etiquette. The real problem is fighting out how to teach them.

Do you think people should be required to take a one hour course on golf etiquette before being allowed to play??

Or just putting up signs at the starter shacks? And also giving cards to ambassadors who can hand them out??
Old 04-19-2024, 11:12 AM

My favorite are people that don't move their cart. motorized or walking in the right spot. Leaving it short of the green or the opposite side of where the next hole is so they have to walk back to it... I would love to walk onto a green and only find my ball mark or those from my group on it. I will admit that its not as bad as following the State High School championship where no one knows how to fix a ball mark....
Old 04-19-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I agree with you. Many people have never played golf until they moved here and just don’t know golf etiquette. The real problem is fighting out how to teach them.

Do you think people should be required to take a one hour course on golf etiquette before being allowed to play??

Or just putting up signs at the starter shacks? And also giving cards to ambassadors who can hand them out??
how about the ambassadors DO THEIR JOB.....
Old 04-19-2024, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,088 Times in 5,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I think that is true. Lots of folks who play the executive courses, especially now during high ‘bird season, just don’t know. I recall some time back I saw a guy with a pull cart on the green (we were playing behind them). We caught up to them waiting on the next tee and I mentioned, good-naturedly, that if an ambassador saw him doing that it would be pointed out that such an act is verboten in TV. He was honestly surprised; apparently he was not a permanent Villager and honestly didn’t know that such was not allowed. For the rest of the round, at least, he kept his pull cart well off to the side of the greens.

But, of course, there are those who think that doing things like fixing ball marks or raking traps is somehow beneath them…
Seems like a lot of this is common sense. Would they want to wait while group ahead of them stands on green to write down their scores?
Old 04-19-2024, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
how about the ambassadors DO THEIR JOB.....
What, exactly, is their job? Open my beer? Fix my divot? Rake my foot print out of the sandtraps? What is their job description?
Old 04-19-2024, 01:45 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,786 Times in 3,651 Posts

Quote:
The last two times I’ve played, people fill out their scorecards right after holing out. They stand on the green or on the edge of the green which slows down pace of play.
That's not the cause of slow play.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I don’t know if there is one single cause of slow play but this is one of them! And this can easily be remedied!
Old 04-19-2024, 02:42 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,786 Times in 3,651 Posts

Quote:
I don’t know if there is one single cause of slow play but this is one of them! And this can easily be remedied!
Old people need to write down their score before they forget.

15 seconds per hole, max................four & one half minutes per round.
(if more than 15, they are doing something else)

Old 04-19-2024, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,099 Times in 2,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
What, exactly, is their job? Open my beer? Fix my divot? Rake my foot print out of the sandtraps? What is their job description?
It’s entirely unclear what their job is on the Executives. On the Champs it is to be sure nobody sneaks onto the course without paying green fees. Before Covid they actually seemed to have a job, they would offer you sand and water and make a half hearted effort to keep up the pace of play. Since Covid, they really don’t seem to have a meaningful function?
Old 04-19-2024, 06:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Agree. How long does it take to write down one digit on a score sheet.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:26 PM

Quote:

I was taught to get off the green as soon as everyone is finished and to record your score on the next tee box.

This is from the Villages website.

When the play of a hole has been completed, players should immediately leave the putting green.
Same goes for those who insist on cleaning their clubs and putting them back in their bag prior to going to the next hole. Go to the next tee box and take care of this there.

Tags
green, play, box, tee, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.