Golf frustration

Old 01-24-2024, 09:40 AM

You should put as many courses as possible and a long time frame! 5 pts is a lot! Go in and pick up open times!
Old 01-24-2024, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,349 Times in 2,861 Posts

It amazes me that people keep talking about how the Villages has more golf holes than any other retirement community. The place is also by far the largest retirement community with by far the most homes. How is it that people don’t understand the concept of holes per rooftop and recognize the importance of that statistic and how it affects availability of t times? Compare the holes per rooftop north versus south of 466A or before and after ground was broken south of 44. Those statistics don’t lie.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:43 AM
Default Golf course conditions

I agree with your thoughts about the golfers coming north to play due to the lack of courses south... Another issue is the condition of the courses. the greens are only green because the paint the dirt to make them look better.
I would rather pay a few dollars more to have nice courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natjos View Post
Well I have finally experienced the difficulty getting a Tee time that others have complained about. It has everything to do with the golfers in all of the new developments coming north because of the lack of courses in the south. I have been here for 10 years and have never been constantly shut out of getting a time. I went on 6 days before and asked for a starting time within a four hour spread. I had 4 points at the time. Didn't get any of the three days requested. I think that groups are forming leagues down south and rotating request so that there are request with only 1 or 2 points. I have golfed with people who are traveling an hour by cart to get to the north end to golf. My reason for owning in the Villages is quickly fading.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:45 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,951 Times in 3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlundberg View Post
Got shut out twice last week with only 0ne point. Put in for 9 different courses and a wide time frame. Living the dream is fading.
Wow............looking at your prior posts...................a lot of complaining posts.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,681 Times in 980 Posts

When the area south of 44 and the turnpike was being planned, golf participation was declining, until 2020.
From 2010 to 2019, participation dropped from 26.12 million to 24.3 million - almost 10%. In 2022, it was 25.6 million, almost recovered to 2010 level (back to 2011 level). No one could have predicted that.

Golf participation US 2022 | Statista
Old 01-24-2024, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,349 Times in 2,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
When the area south of 44 and the turnpike was being planned, golf participation was declining, until 2020.
From 2010 to 2019, participation dropped from 26.12 million to 24.3 million - almost 10%. In 2022, it was 25.6 million, almost recovered to 2010 level (back to 2011 level). No one could have predicted that.

Golf participation US 2022 | Statista
Any idea how that statistic looked for the 55+ age demographic living in an active retirement community compared to a national average? Relevant statistics matter.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWhiskers View Post
...They aren't keeping up with free golf demand any longer. But hey at least there is disc golf now in the Hogeye Preserve, so tee up, that'll fix the lack of golf courses being built.
Just like horseback riding, croquet, and tennis, some activities just fade away after a few generations.

Golf is one of those. I am one among many in the 55 and under group that give zero $hits about golf - the only thing I like about it is the green open space it creates in a neighborhood is scenic and better than high density housing. I hope you and others continue to rabidly chase that little white dimpled ball so they will keep building the courses and forcing in the open space.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 01-24-2024, 10:37 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
You mentioned that you had "4 points at the time." I'm assuming you are playing executive (you didn't mention.) It's not about having points 6 days before tee time, it's how many points you have when the algorithm is run, which is usually 3 or 4 days before tee time.
Having four points means you have played four times in the past seven days. That's a lot. I would vote that golfer's be limited to three days a week executive. There are some that play every day; one can usually get a tee time if one if a single.
I play executive twice a week and can't remember the last time I had a problem. I'll play Championship if I play more.
I agree with your overall complaint though. These worthless pitch and putts are to blame.
Played the pitch and putts and I am a 13 handicap. They were fun and conditions were better than some of the executives.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne&Wynn View Post
I don't play golf in TV, haven't for several years, not worth the hassle. I'm willing to drive 30 minutes, plus or minus, to other courses in the area, there are many. Really, I often do the same when playing golf back in the Detroit area.
Appears problem is getting a tee time on exec courses. Very few, if any "exec" courses outside of TV. Champ courses different story. Some of the outside courses around TV are not worth traveling to.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:51 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclas View Post
Not quite true. There are way more courses in Myrtle Beach
And a lot more 5 hour rounds. Was there in August. Played a very nice course behind a group of guys who were there for a bachelor party. On bright side they did not bring their "entertainers" with them
Old 01-24-2024, 10:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justputt View Post
Not even close to accurate on several levels. Myrtle Beach has more (as do other locations mentioned), but the REAL difference is in TV most people are retired or semi-retired, which means they can play golf all day. In Myrtle Beach most people are still working jobs, etc. and leave golf mostly to tourists. Thus, the competition for tee times is much higher among TV residents. IMO, this will be self-correcting. Once the complaints get loud enough, negative golfing posts prolific enough, TV age retiree reviews start calling into question the lifestyle as pertains to golf, etc. Have some bad reviews show up in Golf Digest, etc., and retirees concerned about golf will look elsewhere, and new homes will sit unsold or price cuts. The damage will be done and will take years to correct.

I want to start playing golf again, since work had consumed the last decade plus of my time. But I didn't move here just for golf. Had I moved for golf, I would be in Myrtle Beach where there are over 100 18-hole courses (some being redeveloped) and not just a bunch of executive courses. They overbuilt, IMO.

Posts here are mostly preaching to the choir. Taking your complaints outside TV and TOTV to where it impacts the desire of people to move here for "free golf" will have a much greater impact. Post to retirement and golf heavy websites.

FYI, HUGE homes for the same or less money on golf courses in Myrtle Beach Myrtle Beach Homes for Sale | Find Myrtle Beach Area Homes
Myrtle Beach and other areas of S. Carolina do have a lot of good/great golf to offer. Problem is that they are resort courses aka 5 hour round courses, unless you play at a private course.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgary View Post
thanks for all the input here,, ii just go up for a single in the morning and get in most days,, and also play with womens groups alot ,, in the afternoon,, just fyi not all bad ,,
I couldn’t do that to Women playing. I’m sure 99% of women playing don’t want an unfamiliar man joining them.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
I couldn’t do that to Women playing. I’m sure 99% of women playing don’t want an unfamiliar man joining them.
I've played in women's groups where a strange guy joined up. And within 10 minutes or so the man started giving us all "lessons". I was an 11 handicap at the time. Couldn't wait till the round was over. Luckily I didn't have to ride with the jerk.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
We don’t go up north to bother you. We go up north because the developer built most of the courses up north.

There are 41 executives and 3 pitch and putts. 36 of the executives are north of 44 and 29 are north of 466A.

There are 5 executives south of 44 and all 3 pitch and putts are south of 44.

I would love not to have to drive 30-45 minutes to play an executive course. I played with a group the other day and they said that they have 4 executives and 1 championship within a mile of their house.

I am about two miles from a pitch and putt.

Once Eastport is built out, things should get better but since there are also 14 new Villages planned for Eastport, I expect tee times will still be difficult!
Nice reply to the somewhat negative response.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
The developer DID listen to the priorities of the residents south of CR44! Everyone was connectivity, connectivity, connectivity! It takes a lot of money, resources, and TIME to get the state permitting to build 2 bridges over CR44 and especially 1 over the Florida Turnpike!!! The residents south of CR44 set the priorities and the developer complied! It appears to me that a lot of residences south of CR44 think their wishes can happen at the wave of a “Magic Wand “!!! “Patience Grasshoppers”!!!!!
You have to connect to the north if there is NOTHING built in south! The bridges are great and impressive. A few executive courses where you DONT need a bridge would be nice

Tags
time, days, request, south, north

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.