Golf GPS System - recommendations?

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 PM

Callaway UPROMX is brand new with 25000 courses no annual fee and costs $199 we have 2 and a sky caddie 2.5 will be selling
Old 07-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

I just bought a new Garmin Approach G3 for less than $200 after rebate. Rebate expires at the end of this month. Has all Villages courses. Free updates. No subscription costs.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmca View Post
Callaway UPROMX is brand new with 25000 courses no annual fee and costs $199 we have 2 and a sky caddie 2.5 will be selling
Doesn't all of Callaway's GPS's have a one time activation fee? How much is this fee?

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schotzyb View Post
Doesn't all of Callaway's GPS's have a one time activation fee? How much is this fee?
Nope....only for one of the features which shows graphic of green, any hazards and distances to hazards, front, middle and back of green. It's $50 one-time for all courses...it was free for one course when i bought it so i have my home course on that program. Nice feature...may consider upgraded to all courses in the future.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Thumbs down NO on the Callaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleMN View Post
I got a super deal on a Callaway UPro Go. No annual fee. Had all the Villages courses, including the executive. Paid $150 on Ebay and got $50 rebate. That's a while ago so probably not still availabe.
They have redone their website and it is a total mess. You may get a download, but the next time you go there online it may delete all of your courses and then not let you download anything. Stay away! I have one and I can't even log on!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:35 AM

I'm sure that sky caddie is the only company that employ golf pro's to actually walk all of the courses and plot them via gps this makes them all accurate yardages
Old 10-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I recently downloaded an interesting app for my Android phone. It's called CaddieDroid. What's different is that it has no courses to download and simply uses a satellite view of the course. Since it is only using GPS and the satellite view, it will show any course you happen to be standing on.

Rather than give you yardages, it allows you to input how far you hit each club in your bag. On the display, there is a stick pin where you are standing. When you select a club, it draws a circle to show how far you hit that club. You can tell if you'll hit the green or if your normal distance will put you into a bunker, etc. You can also track you club distances and it will present you with an average for that club and a circle.

The link to the app is below. It's free and again, there are no courses to download....

Enjoy....

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts
Default Skycaddie

The most remarkable thing about some of the GPS units, is when you have two identical units in the same foursome, BUT different yardages....This happened three times (different days) with skycaddie.....For the average Joe, probably doesn't matter but they do advertise that theirs is the MOST accurate....
Old 10-31-2011, 09:40 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
The most remarkable thing about some of the GPS units, is when you have two identical units in the same foursome, BUT different yardages....This happened three times (different days) with skycaddie.....For the average Joe, probably doesn't matter but they do advertise that theirs is the MOST accurate....
And I have a Callaway Upro and it's just as accurate as the SkyCaddie. I don't think that walking the courses as SkyCaddie advertises makes them any more accurate than the other gps's

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I recently downloaded an interesting app for my Android phone. It's called CaddieDroid. What's different is that it has no courses to download and simply uses a satellite view of the course. Since it is only using GPS and the satellite view, it will show any course you happen to be standing on.

Rather than give you yardages, it allows you to input how far you hit each club in your bag. On the display, there is a stick pin where you are standing. When you select a club, it draws a circle to show how far you hit that club. You can tell if you'll hit the green or if your normal distance will put you into a bunker, etc. You can also track you club distances and it will present you with an average for that club and a circle.

The link to the app is below. It's free and again, there are no courses to download....

Enjoy....

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
That sounds interesting. Downloading all these golf courses sounds archaic to me. There should be some sort of measuring device where you could just point to the tee flag and get accurate yard readings. Maybe laser beam?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:57 AM

There is...... they are Laser rangefinders, I had a bushnell one it was good, but only if you can see the flag, sometimes it picked up other things , the sky caddie's are much better.....especially if you are like me and spend some of your time in the trees, bushes etc
Old 10-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveithere View Post
That sounds interesting. Downloading all these golf courses sounds archaic to me. There should be some sort of measuring device where you could just point to the tee flag and get accurate yard readings. Maybe laser beam?
Downloading the courses lets you see distance to bunkers and other hazards. Allows you to plan your shots better. Now if we could just download a better swing...
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Default Golf GPS Systems

It appears I am in the minority and I love gadgets but I think they are a waste of money for most golfers. I wonder how many would say that a GPS system helped their game( saving strokes). If a person who shoots 90 then shoots 85 great, but I would guess it has no positive impact on scores.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones190 View Post
It appears I am in the minority and I love gadgets but I think they are a waste of money for most golfers. I wonder how many would say that a GPS system helped their game( saving strokes). If a person who shoots 90 then shoots 85 great, but I would guess it has no positive impact on scores.
The man who dies with the most toys wins!
My sins are old cars and they don't help much on the golf course.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:45 AM
Veteran member

Had the skycaddie but it became obsolete quickly. Played a number of times here and the guys I was with had various devices. When I played in a group where nobody had one my game suffered horribly. I went out and got the Golf Buddy. Pound for pound it is the most accurate and easiest to use. Quickest to get an accurate measurement, uses more satellites to triangulate and knows where you are. I have tried the phone apps but they hardly last 9 holes before draining my battery. Golf buddy has 10 hours on a charge.

There are many devices as I have used/demo'd SkyCaddie, UPro and Freecaddie (IPhone free App). They are all god but I love my Golf Buddy and went to Market Night to get a nice faux leather holster for it (perfect fit)

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.