Golf Newbie Seeking Advice

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Golf Newbie Seeking Advice

Looking for advice as it relates to purchasing a set of men's right hand golf clubs.

I am a "novice" player and was planning to enroll in the Palmer Academy "Into to golf" course.

Seeking advice on where is the best place in The Villages or surrounding area to purchase a set of golf clubs and what type would you suggest purchasing?

Thanks for your serious input.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.

Last edited by AriaGrandparents2013; 09-21-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Typo corrections
Old 09-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Sage

Ping
Old 09-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

If you are going to the week long class at Palmer, they will let you borrow clubs. At the end of the course, they fit you and enroll you in a program where you can try clubs for three days at a time prior to buying This program lasts for a year. This way you do not spend a lot of money on clubs that may not fit correctly
Old 09-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 View Post
Looking for advice as it relates to purchasing a set of men's right hand golf clubs.

I am a "novice" player and was planning to enroll in the Palmer Academy "Into to golf" course.

Seeking advice on where is the best place in The Villages or surrounding area to purchase a set of golf clubs and what type would you suggest purchasing?

Thanks for your serious input.
I'd recommend that you purchase a used set of clubs as a starter 9ASSUMING THAT YOU ARE BRAND NEW TO THE GAME). Should you decide that golf is not your "thing", you would not have laid out a larger investment. You can always upgrade to a new set.

You also might want to look into going to a "demo day" (if you are thinking of purchasing new clubs) where you can usually try out different brands of golf clubs for free. I tried different iron sets at a demo day and Cleveland seemed to feel/work best for me, whereas another name brand felt like I was swinging a cement block on the end of a stick. Each manufacturer may have different iron sets available and they usually identify which type of player would benefit from a particular set (low to high handicappers).

Good luck and welcome to the game!
Old 09-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Sage
Default New to golf

Do you mean the "New to golf" program at the Academy. I just looked it up and see it is some instruction and even a fitting. The brand of the club is not important at all. It has more to do with the shaft and loft to fit your game.

I suggest you ask who ever is helping you with your swing, especially as you are starting out and taking lessons. Your swing and speed may change dramatically in the first few weeks.

If the folks at the academy seem pricey, I would check out the guy at golf liquidators on 466 east of Morse. He will fit you with 'knock offs'. Do not dismiss knock offs when starting out .....

good luck. The only other advice I give to folks starting out is DON'T! Run now before the game wraps itself around you and you cannot stop

Last edited by ajbrown; 09-21-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

Thanks for all the input.......very helpful.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobh521 View Post
If you are going to the week long class at Palmer, they will let you borrow clubs. At the end of the course, they fit you and enroll you in a program where you can try clubs for three days at a time prior to buying This program lasts for a year. This way you do not spend a lot of money on clubs that may not fit correctly
I attended the "New to Golf"program at Palmer. I did later find a used starter set at a garage sale for a nominal price that fits me. A very small investment so if I decide it's not for me I haven't dumped a whole lot of coin. Good luck.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.