Golf Rules question

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2023, 04:42 AM

I run two championship golf groups. In this exact situation we use the closest to the pin for the CTP winner, and each group chooses which ball they want to putt, regardless of whether it is the actual closest one or not. Our rationale is four balls were hit to the par 3 green, all are in play so any one of them can be chosen as CTP, but the group chooses which one to actually putt to the hole. They don't have to be the same ball in the groups I run.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:42 AM

My understanding of a scramble is that the team members decide which shot for them is best, not the farthest or the closest. On the other hand, closest to the pin has only one interpretation. The contest is not "closest to the pin used as the "
'best' shot". As others have said, they are two separate competitions. So, unless the tournament has a specific rule that the winner of the individual contest is the "closest to the pin tee shot used", the winner of the closest to the pin doesn't have to be a shot that's used by a team.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:58 AM

A CTP only counts if the putt is executed and scored as no worse than par.

Playing another ball instead would deem the shortest location as one that effectively didn't exist.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmspla1952 View Post
I've searched and searched and cannot find the answer.

A round of 4-person team scramble/best ball.
On the designated "closest to the pin (KP)" hole, there are 2 balls on the green. One is 3 feet away from the pin and has a very undulated putt. But it is closest to the pin. The other ball on the green is 5 feet away and has a straight in putt.
Can the players mark the 3 foot putt as closest and then play the 5 foot putt because it has a better lie?
Just asking the pros that know. (Not me)
Yes. These are two separate contests. The "closest to the pin" is an individual event within the "scramble" which is a team event. The person who hit that "closest" shot should be rewarded for it, should he win the event. But which putt to hit is a team decision and it's up to the team to decide which shot is most advantageous for them.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful if this was the toughest issue you had to deal with every day? Sounds like a local decision. In best ball you wouldn't always think closest to the hole must be used unless that is the local rule. Check with the boss. Go with the flow.
A little off topic, but:

You are confusing "Best Ball" with "Scramble".

"Best Ball" is when each player plays his own ball all the way through the hole and which ever team member has the lowest score that score is the score for the team.

"Scramble" is where each player hits a shot. Whichever shot has the best result or is most advantageous for the team, each team member takes their next shot from that point, regardless of where their previous shot landed.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:12 AM

Not sure if you’re asking about a 4 man scramble or a 4 man best ball ? No I don’t believe you can use the 5 ft putt if you take the 3 ft putt as closest to the pin . Best ball someone would be putting
both balls where as a scramble you would all be putting from the same spot . And be careful where you put the closest to the pin marker/pole as to not
impede another group behind path to the hole on a par 3 . Move it equal distance behind the hole .
Old 07-17-2023, 09:15 AM
Default The Rules of Golf Cover all situations

Rule #1-- the Tournament Committee has the right to set local rules for a competition as long as those rules don't break an existing rule of golf.

A scramble is a local rules event. So everyone is right here IF you are the committee. If you are not you are just dust in the wind.

If I were on the committee, I would not allow anything to count that wasn't the ball used. If your on the committee and feel otherwise it is your right under the rules.
The reality here is that the player who hit the 3 foot shot would take credit for it and the team wouldn't tell anybody they used another ball. Golfers, you know!

There is a good read on Amazon Books, Golf Murder Mysteries-Breaking the Rules
There are 9 stories of golfers getting murdered for breaking a rule of golf. Two of the stories occur in the Villages. A fun read. And the guy who lost the closest to the pin to the three foot guy, once he found out the situation, and depending on the value of the prize, could be driven to murder.

Bottom line here is when your running a tournament, you can set some local rules....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
"Local Rules" apply.

1) The 3 foot because it was the closest shot PERIOD.

or

2) The 5 foot because the 3 foot shot was not used and "never existed".

Have seen it both ways.............same with long drive.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:03 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
Rule #1-- the Tournament Committee has the right to set local rules for a competition as long as those rules don't break an existing rule of golf.

A scramble is a local rules event. So everyone is right here IF you are the committee. If you are not you are just dust in the wind.

If I were on the committee, I would not allow anything to count that wasn't the ball used. If your on the committee and feel otherwise it is your right under the rules.
The reality here is that the player who hit the 3 foot shot would take credit for it and the team wouldn't tell anybody they used another ball. Golfers, you know!

There is a good read on Amazon Books, Golf Murder Mysteries-Breaking the Rules
There are 9 stories of golfers getting murdered for breaking a rule of golf. Two of the stories occur in the Villages. A fun read. And the guy who lost the closest to the pin to the three foot guy, once he found out the situation, and depending on the value of the prize, could be driven to murder.

Bottom line here is when your running a tournament, you can set some local rules....
I think that's what I said.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:06 AM
Default Rules

You were right!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I think that's what I said.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:

On the designated "closest to the pin (KP)" hole, there are 2 balls on the green. One is 3 feet away from the pin and has a very undulated putt. But it is closest to the pin. The other ball on the green is 5 feet away and has a straight in putt.
Can the players mark the 3 foot putt as closest and then play the 5 foot putt because it has a better lie?
Closest to the pin is an individual award given during a team event. Doesn’t matter what shot you selected to play.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Had this happen a few weeks ago. I was lining up a putt on El Diablo and a gust of wind blew the ball backward, striking my putter. Clicking around I found what happens if the wind blows your ball into the hole, off the green, into the water, etc., but nothing about what the ruling is, if the wind blows the ball into your putter.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapbas View Post
Closest to the pin is an individual award given during a team event. Doesn’t matter what shot you selected to play.
Opinion.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:59 PM
Default Good reference

GO TO THE USGA WEBSITE, THEN GO TO RULES,YOU CAN ASK A QUESTION AND THEY WILL ANSWER YOU WITHIN 48 HOURS...pretty cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Had this happen a few weeks ago. I was lining up a putt on El Diablo and a gust of wind blew the ball backward, striking my putter. Clicking around I found what happens if the wind blows your ball into the hole, off the green, into the water, etc., but nothing about what the ruling is, if the wind blows the ball into your putter.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

good ?. Closer one should be used for the closest to the pin. Generally in a scramble we take the ball which we feel has the best chance for a lower score. Treat it like 2 separate contests.
Closed Thread

Tags
putt, closest, pin, feet, green

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.