Golf Rules question

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2023, 02:53 PM
Default Golf Rules question

I've searched and searched and cannot find the answer.

A round of 4-person team scramble/best ball.
On the designated "closest to the pin (KP)" hole, there are 2 balls on the green. One is 3 feet away from the pin and has a very undulated putt. But it is closest to the pin. The other ball on the green is 5 feet away and has a straight in putt.
Can the players mark the 3 foot putt as closest and then play the 5 foot putt because it has a better lie?
Just asking the pros that know. (Not me)
Old 07-15-2023, 03:03 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

"Local Rules" apply.

1) The 3 foot because it was the closest shot PERIOD.

or

2) The 5 foot because the 3 foot shot was not used and "never existed".

Have seen it both ways.............same with long drive.

Last edited by dewilson58; 07-16-2023 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-15-2023, 03:36 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmspla1952 View Post

On the designated "closest to the pin (KP)" hole, there are 2 balls on the green. One is 3 feet away from the pin and has a very undulated putt. But it is closest to the pin. The other ball on the green is 5 feet away and has a straight in putt.
Can the players mark the 3 foot putt as closest and then play the 5 foot putt because it has a better lie?
You can't find the "rule", because there isn't one. Scrambles are an unofficial format and the sponsors can make up the rules as they go along. In the specific case, there's an argument both ways: The 3' shot was made by someone in the group and should count for "closest to the pin". The other argument of course, if you didn't "use" that shot for scoring, it didn't really exist.

If I was the referee, I'd come down on the side of the "if it wasn't used, it didn't count".
Old 07-15-2023, 04:48 PM
Location: Currently York PA and vacations at our Villages home in Belvedere whenever possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmspla1952 View Post

I have run a charity golf tournament for 7 years. We have always played the skill prize holes as individual competition, regardless of whether the team selects to hit from that particular spot on the next shot. But, as already stated, there is no set rule that it must be played that way.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:03 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

No certain rule. Team would pick the best shot depending on the strength of the members of the team.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
No certain rule. Team would pick the best shot depending on the strength of the members of the team.
You misunderstand the question.
Old 07-15-2023, 08:38 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this was the toughest issue you had to deal with every day? Sounds like a local decision. In best ball you wouldn't always think closest to the hole must be used unless that is the local rule. Check with the boss. Go with the flow.
Old 07-16-2023, 05:59 AM

As closest to the pin and long drives are “extra contests” within the ‘scramble’ they have in my experience always been stand alone added prizes from the scramble match.
Old 07-16-2023, 06:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patn61 View Post
I have run a charity golf tournament for 7 years. We have always played the skill prize holes as individual competition, regardless of whether the team selects to hit from that particular spot on the next shot. But, as already stated, there is no set rule that it must be played that way.
///

Last edited by Papa_lecki; 07-16-2023 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:41 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
No official rule, but it’s this.
If closest to the pin is a new car, the person who hit the shot gets the car, thus individual competition.
Car is not shared.
Closest to the pin wins a car????.......no insurance company would do that.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:06 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful if this was the toughest issue you had to deal with every day? Sounds like a local decision. In best ball you wouldn't always think closest to the hole must be used unless that is the local rule. Check with the boss. Go with the flow.
"Best Ball" & "Scramble" are 2 separate and distinct formats.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
You misunderstand the question.
No. I'm pretty certain he asked if the ball measured at 3 feet documented as such had to be used by the team. The team can decide whether to use that shot or not. Until someone comes along and lands one 35 inches from the hole his is closest to the pin for the day. There is not existing rule the team must use the closer shot. Most only require at least one tee shot from all four players. Is that not what he asked?

Last edited by DonH57; 07-16-2023 at 09:32 AM. Reason: correction
Old 07-16-2023, 09:49 AM

She.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:10 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
No. I'm pretty certain he asked if the ball measured at 3 feet documented as such had to be used by the team. The team can decide whether to use that shot or not. Until someone comes along and lands one 35 inches from the hole his is closest to the pin for the day. There is not existing rule the team must use the closer shot. Most only require at least one tee shot from all four players. Is that not what he asked?
I believe he was asking if the shot that was 36" from the hole counted as "closest to the pin", even if they choose to use the 5' shot as their "Tee Shot" on the hole.

In other words, does using the ball that was 5' away, negate the "Closest to the Pin" shot, that was 3' away.

I suppose the question would be the same, if the situation were on the "Longest Drive" hole. If you don't use that particular drive, is it still the "longest drive"?

Again, there are no official rules for this situation. As someone else mentioned, the "Closest to the Pin" might be an "individual" competition rather than a "team" competition. (As I think about this, I'll bet that somewhere in the marketing or instructions for the tournament, it mentioned "individual prizes" for Closest to the Pin & Longest Drive. I think that would unequivocally answer the question. Whether you use the shot or not, the individual achievement qualifies for the prize.)

It could be interpreted either way, which is one of the many reasons I refuse to play in Scrambles of any sort. There are no real rules and everyone cheats.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I believe he was asking if the shot that was 36" from the hole counted as "closest to the pin", even if they choose to use the 5' shot as their "Tee Shot" on the hole.

In other words, does using the ball that was 5' away, negate the "Closest to the Pin" shot, that was 3' away.

I suppose the question would be the same, if the situation were on the "Longest Drive" hole. If you don't use that particular drive, is it still the "longest drive"?

Again, there are no official rules for this situation. As someone else mentioned, the "Closest to the Pin" might be an "individual" competition rather than a "team" competition. (As I think about this, I'll bet that somewhere in the marketing or instructions for the tournament, it mentioned "individual prizes" for Closest to the Pin & Longest Drive. I think that would unequivocally answer the question. Whether you use the shot or not, the individual achievement qualifies for the prize.)

It could be interpreted either way, which is one of the many reasons I refuse to play in Scrambles of any sort. There are no real rules and everyone cheats.
Yes. That's true. Different groups have or use different rules for a Best Ball or Scramble. I play in the ones our group do every summer because I like meeting and playing with different people. You are correct about scrambles subject to cheaters. I believe they are referred to as "Sandbaggers"
Closed Thread

Tags
putt, closest, pin, feet, green

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.