Green Fees Explode

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2019, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Golf courses, like any other business, will set their prices based on what's best for them.

Prices will rise if people keep coming and eventually will come down if business drops off. The general rule is "what the market will bear."

Again, this is no different than any other business.

There are fewer people playing in the summer months so fees go down. It's difficult to get in a full eighteen holes after 5:00pm in the summer so fees drop way down in order to attract more people. If the courses got too crowded last winter, then prices will rise.

If you owned a for profit golf course, why would you not get the most money that you can per round. If you sold hot dogs, you'd get the most you could for each hot dog. It's not different.

I think that a lot of Villages resident feel that they should get some kind of a break because they are residents. Unfortunately, these are not private country clubs with membership, they are simply public golf courses that are open to everyone.

If you don't like the product or the price, don't buy.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

People just want to bad mouth the Morse family whenever they can. If you can’t afford the average $4 increase then play the free courses or move as you obviously over bought to live here.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Golf courses, like any other business, will set their prices based on what's best for them.

Prices will rise if people keep coming and eventually will come down if business drops off. The general rule is "what the market will bear."

Again, this is no different than any other business.

There are fewer people playing in the summer months so fees go down. It's difficult to get in a full eighteen holes after 5:00pm in the summer so fees drop way down in order to attract more people. If the courses got too crowded last winter, then prices will rise.

If you owned a for profit golf course, why would you not get the most money that you can per round. If you sold hot dogs, you'd get the most you could for each hot dog. It's not different.

I think that a lot of Villages resident feel that they should get some kind of a break because they are residents. Unfortunately, these are not private country clubs with membership, they are simply public golf courses that are open to everyone.

If you don't like the product or the price, don't buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
People just want to bad mouth the Morse family whenever they can. If you can’t afford the average $4 increase then play the free courses or move as you obviously over bought to live here.
Yep and yep.

This is Florida. All prices go up in the winter. Avoid hotels, Disney, and golf if you don't like high prices. Wait for spring. All is good.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

So after 78 posts, we agree that some are going off camp to play golf, many will pay the extra and play in the bubble, and Publix beef is to expensive.
Glad we cleared that up!
Old 12-17-2019, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Yep and yep.

This is Florida. All prices go up in the winter. Avoid hotels, Disney, and golf if you don't like high prices. Wait for spring. All is good.
That's a good point. The same could be said about courses in the north but instead of seasons, it's weekends. One of my favorites was The Wetlands behind Cal Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, Maryland right off I-95. When I played as a senior (over 50) it was $33 on weekdays and on weekends it was $57, guess when I didn't play?

The 18th Hole at Wetlands, it's a dogleg right. In this picture is the green and the corner, the tee is off to the far left out of sight. It's full 90 degree dogleg.

The Villages Florida
Old 12-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,796 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
That's a good point. The same could be said about courses in the north but instead of seasons, it's weekends. One of my favorites was The Wetlands behind Cal Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, Maryland right off I-95. When I played as a senior (over 50) it was $33 on weekdays and on weekends it was $57, guess when I didn't play?

The 18th Hole at Wetlands, it's a dogleg right. In this picture is the green and the corner, the tee is off to the far left out of sight. It's full 90 degree dogleg.

The Villages Florida
Beautiful! I personally feel it’s hard to beat a northern golf course but not in the winter⛱.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Sorry golf is now unaffordable for some. It takes a ton of money to run a golf course, tons. I am glad to have them available, beautiful and ready to play whenever I am ready to play.
If you're a resident of the Villages, then playing golf is 100% affordable. You just have to play the exec courses and hoof it instead of taking the golf cart. The cost is included with your amenity fee, no extra charge.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
So after 78 posts, we agree that some are going off camp to play golf, many will pay the extra and play in the bubble, and Publix beef is to expensive.
Glad we cleared that up!
Off topic, but.....I once asked the butchers where they get their meat from
Winn Dixie------Mexico
Publix-----------Mexico
Fresh Market---Kansas

So, like golf, you decide what is worth a few extra bucks
Old 12-17-2019, 02:21 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Off topic, but.....I once asked the butchers where they get their meat from
Winn Dixie------Mexico
Publix-----------Mexico
Fresh Market---Kansas

Don't believe everything you are told.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Don't believe everything you are told.
They're ordering the beef, they should know where they ordered it from
Old 12-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
They're ordering the beef, they should know where they ordered it from

Actually, corporate orders the product.

Old 12-17-2019, 02:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Actually, corporate orders the product.

my mistake
Old 12-17-2019, 10:55 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Golfing Eagles and Dewilson 58. I think you're both great....
Old 12-17-2019, 11:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If you're a resident of the Villages, then playing golf is 100% affordable. You just have to play the exec courses and hoof it instead of taking the golf cart. The cost is included with your amenity fee, no extra charge.
Mini golf versus real golf, not the same. And many seniors can't hoof it, knee and hip replacements require riding in ones golf cart.

Sure, my wife and I occasionally play an executive and have fun if we don't get stuck behind some really slow groups, but I don't feel like we played any real golf. 18 holes on a par 72 Championship course is real golf. And during the winter months, when you are paying for two resident members, real golf in the bubble has become really expensive.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:21 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I researched prices at country club courses in and around Orlando. The Villages could be doubled and it would still be great pricing.
Closed Thread

Tags
green, fees, imagine, thing, increasing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.