High season Championship Golf Rates are out

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2022, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
That's an apple to oranges comparison.

Brantingham is a PUBLIC golf course and only 5300 yards. It's $26/round for a golf cart, doesn't provide any amenities and at least according to the reviews I read, it's condition doesn't compare with the Championship Clubs in The Villages.
Again I can offer assistance - Brantingham is privately owned - The owner and myself are friends. No subsidy money. Open to the public. Just like our Champ Courses. Also look up our Championship Courses and you will find they are all approx 5400 yds for 18 holes from the white tees which appear to be in my observation the most common set of tees used in TV

Last edited by rustyp; 12-15-2022 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Again I can offer assistance - Brantingham is privately owned - The owner and myself are friends. No subsidy money. Open to the public. Just like our Champ Courses. Also look up our Championship Courses and you will find they are all approx 5400 yds for 18 holes from the white tees which appear to be in my observation the most common set of tees used in TV

Perhaps you might consider playing the Executive Golf Courses, which seem to be a fairer comparison to you're used to? Better deal, too. FREE, instead of paying $500/year.

Last edited by BrianL99; 12-16-2022 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
As usual, the new golf rates are out now that we are almost a couple weeks away from when they will take effect. In general, the rates for a resident member are up $3 from the January through May 2022 rates, or a little less than a 5% rate increase. Not bad given the inflation levels on everything else. That being said, it’s gonna cost $67 before taxes for one person to play 18 holes at most courses while using their own cart. To put that in perspective, it will cost my wife and I almost $145, including taxes, to use our cart for a round of golf that takes approximately 4 hours. That’s dam close to what an entire month of amenity fees costs. It’s no wonder the Executive courses are so flipping crowded during the high rate season for Championship golf. Golf on : )
You can save 25% on Championship Golf by playing at Continental. Their course was just renovated and has new greens. Their price also includes a cart

Old 12-16-2022, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
There is a HUGE difference between a private country club and a public golf course that is privately owned. Apples and oranges. Heck, when I was 16, I could play Bethpage Black on a weekday for $1.75---much less total than $500 year as well......but.......3 hour waits, 7 hour rounds, and at the time, deplorable conditions. My club in Central NY ran close to $10,000 each year, but......no wait, pristine condition, practice area, tennis courts, clubhouse with social events and restaurant. No comparison.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:11 AM
Default Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Those numbers simply don't meet the common sense test.

Any 18 Hole Golf course in reasonable decent condition, is going to spend at least $600,000, just to maintain status quo on the grass. Which means, at $500/person, it would take 1200 "Members" just to maintain the course to minimum standards. A typical Private course would have somewhere between 300-450 Members. Semi-Private, possibly 400 - 700.

Then the course has to figure out how to pay other staff, taxes, utilities, insurance, etc.
Also he forgot to mention they can only play 5 months out of year be cause of cold or snow!
Old 12-16-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
Nice course. We used to belong to the Watertown golf course. Can't beat the prices and conditions for golf in northern NY. Golf in the Villages comes in a poor second.
I suggest you go play in UPPER NEW YORK in January !
Old 12-16-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I tried to make a tee time January 4th 2023 but couldn't since they will have a foot of snow!
Old 12-16-2022, 07:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
There is a HUGE difference between a private country club and a public golf course that is privately owned. Apples and oranges. Heck, when I was 16, I could play Bethpage Black on a weekday for $1.75---much less total than $500 year as well......but.......3 hour waits, 7 hour rounds, and at the time, deplorable conditions. My club in Central NY ran close to $10,000 each year, but......no wait, pristine condition, practice area, tennis courts, clubhouse with social events and restaurant. No comparison.
Speaking of apples and oranges Beth Page is a New York State Park. Subsidized by every NYS taxpayer. No comparison to a course owned by a private individual but open for public play. The Championship Courses here in TV are exactly the same - privately owned opened to the public.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
Nice course. We used to belong to the Watertown golf course. Can't beat the prices and conditions for golf in northern NY. Golf in the Villages comes in a poor second.
I grew up in Watertown, graduated in 78.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickaslin View Post
I tried to make a tee time January 4th 2023 but couldn't since they will have a foot of snow!
Well of course you couldn't play golf on Jan 4th at Brantingham. The owner makes and grooms cross country ski trails. He welcomes the locals to ski on the course free of charge as a good neighbor. How community minded is your local country clubs ?

Last edited by rustyp; 12-16-2022 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
As usual, the new golf rates are out now that we are almost a couple weeks away from when they will take effect. In general, the rates for a resident member are up $3 from the January through May 2022 rates, or a little less than a 5% rate increase. Not bad given the inflation levels on everything else. That being said, it’s gonna cost $67 before taxes for one person to play 18 holes at most courses while using their own cart. To put that in perspective, it will cost my wife and I almost $145, including taxes, to use our cart for a round of golf that takes approximately 4 hours. That’s dam close to what an entire month of amenity fees costs. It’s no wonder the Executive courses are so flipping crowded during the high rate season for Championship golf. Golf on : )
I lived on a 7400 yard city course in Colorado where the Colorado Open was held. I compare it to Palmer/Glenview/Lopez. I lived in the city and green fees + cart was $75-$88 depending on the day. I’m an EM here (mainly to get tee times - the discount might be a wash probably save me a few bucks over the year) Comparing conditions in FL vs up north is hard because the soil/temp/grasses are so very different. I grew up in PA and worked the course in high school. Getting the grass to grow was easy. The biggest difference I see is 4 hours to play here here vs 5.5+ on these public courses at least on the ones in Colorado.

And the crowds on the executive probably has to do with the 60k+ snowbirds that flock to TV every January for 4 months.

I’m happy to pay for our championship courses 2x a week where I can drive to the course in 5-15 min in my cart and be back home in 4.5 hours. In Colorado I could just be starting the back nine.

Last edited by Janie123; 12-16-2022 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Added one word
Old 12-16-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Check the prices at Harbor Hills - the course is in great shape- only a short ride (by auto)!!
Old 12-16-2022, 08:30 AM
Default Better Math

Quote:
Golf for a RM increases from $38 + tax to $42.50 + tax. That's more like ab12% increase.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:34 AM

With all due respect, if you're paying 13,000 back home, it must be a pretty nice private course. That would figure out to be $65/round. Now you paid for your own cart, but figure in approx $20 of that cart/round. now you up to $85, figure into that your priority membership, roughly another $4/round, or $8/round if you only play twice a week, or 100 rounds, so now your at $90 plus or minus a little. Now figure into that that a portion of your amenity fee is for golf, all be it executive golf, but you're still paying wether you use it, or not. Not sure what that amounts to, maybe $100/ month, or $1200/year. So let's add $6/round to your rate, or $12 if you only play twice /week at 100 rounds/years. So, now your average round is about $100/ +-/round. You're actually putting out about $20,000/ year. I've golfed all my life, belonged to private clubs and public courses. Good private course are around 5,000 to $10,000 today, about 1/4 to 1/2 of what you are paying. Public course's are about $60 to $80/round with a cart. Bottom line is TV golf is very expensive. I am not complaining, just saying, in response to your analogy.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
My club at home for 2022 was $500 single membership, $1050 family, $130 student. 18 holes and their conditions beats winter conditions on the champ courses here in TV. Added bonus I can call my lunch order in and have it ready at the turn. Many weekend tournaments , member guest, and club championships.
And I bet your club at home consisted of one 18-27 hole golf course. And how often did you play golf in the winter back home?
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, rates, rate, season, high

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.