How did you learn to golf?

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp
Default How did you learn to golf?

I was wondering how different folks first learned how to golf. For me, it was an old book by Jack Nicklaus called "Lesson Tee'. It had hand drawn illustrations on how to grip the club, the set up, backswing, etc. I am guessing some folks started out by caddying at country clubs or learning from dad. How did you learn?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Sage

I invested in 20 45min lessons, never developed bad habits, never hurt myself.

Drove balls 3x a week

After that I try to do 100 swings 2 or 3 days a week.

Also got good clubs not hand me downs or flea market stuff.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:21 PM

You mean I can actually LEARN to play?
Never thought about that...
Old 04-21-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1130 View Post
It is an interesting concept. Isn't it?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1130 View Post
That made me laugh out loud.

I took lessons for $99 from a golf pro at a course where we live North Carolina. I think it was 1-2-3-4-5 GOLF or something like that. My husband has played for nearly 30 years and refused to show me how to play. He told me about three years ago if I wanted to play and we wanted to stay married, I'd have to take lessons. I did. We are still married.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts
Default Sebring, Fla. Golf School

About thirty years ago we spent a week at the school....Every day, 4 hours was our morning lesson at range, afternoon lesson on course...We are both left handers but pro recommended that we play right handed because he said it would be to our advantage....

Golf lessons before taking up this game would be our recommendation...
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,324 Posts

My dad started me at a young age then when I was about 14 let me play with the guys if i slowed them up i had to stop. Brings new meaning to play from the mens tees, or you slow us up, learned lots and love it when I get to the tee box and someone mutters Just great a women. I always hit last, then smile, and say my dad taught me well.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
My dad started me at a young age then when I was about 14 let me play with the guys if i slowed them up i had to stop. Brings new meaning to play from the mens tees, or you slow us up, learned lots and love it when I get to the tee box and someone mutters Just great a women. I always hit last, then smile, and say my dad taught me well.
Love it!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In 1962 when I was 12 and for whatever reason I started watching golf on TV and was somewhat a fan of Arnold Palmer. Growing up in St. Petersburg we had a 9 hole Par 3 downtown next to the Vinoy Hotel (big pink building by the pier). My parents would drop me off on Saturday and for $3 you could play all day, I would meet another kid there named Eddie.

About a year later i graduated to playing championship size courses and my parents joined Sunset Country Club (only $275 a year). I could play there all I wanted, golf was very cheap back then and by high school I was shooting in the low 90's.

In 1969 I joined the Army and life became busy and I never played again for forty years. In 2009 being retired and looking for something to occupy my time and to get healthy I rediscovered golf. Now I'm an addict and play as much as I can and have spent thousands on clubs, bags, etc. It was funny after not playing for 40 years it was like riding a bicycle, it all came right back. Everyday I work out, ride a bike, walk and do whatever I can to improve my strength and distance off the tee. Finally broke 80 here at Havana two weeks ago with a 78 from the blue tees. It all runs full circle.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
That made me laugh out loud.

I took lessons for $99 from a golf pro at a course where we live North Carolina. I think it was 1-2-3-4-5 GOLF or something like that. My husband has played for nearly 30 years and refused to show me how to play. He told me about three years ago if I wanted to play and we wanted to stay married, I'd have to take lessons. I did. We are still married.
Your hubby is a smart man!
Still learning after 20+ years! Slow, I guess!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.