Leahy's Golf Academy - Leahy has gone

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Veteran member
Default Leahy's Golf Academy - Leahy has gone

I've been taking lessons from Patrick Leahy at his academy at Buffalo Ridge Driving Range, behind the Walmart on Rt. 466. I found out the other day that he has left town and moved to south Florida. My spouse got left holding the bag on a batch of lesson time he had purchased. I had purchased a range ball membership which the new management said they will honor. Pretty dodgy on Leahy's part if you ask me. He must have known he would be leaving. They could have notified clients so that people could use up their lesson time. I was in there about a month ago and nothing was said. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
I've been taking lessons from Patrick Leahy at his academy at Buffalo Ridge Driving Range, behind the Walmart on Rt. 466. I found out the other day that he has left town and moved to south Florida. My spouse got left holding the bag on a batch of lesson time he had purchased. I had purchased a range ball membership which the new management said they will honor. Pretty dodgy on Leahy's part if you ask me. He must have known he would be leaving. They could have notified clients so that people could use up their lesson time. I was in there about a month ago and nothing was said. Oh well, live and learn.
If he took your money and didn't deliver the lessons, he has violated the contract you had with him and I would sue him in small claims court.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Default Will Friends Be Able to Help Each Other Now?

Many people left that range because of Leahy's insistence that even spouses could not help one another with their swing. Does anyone know if the new management is continuing the 'No coaching, no teaching' policy that had been posted? The Village's ranges are far better in allowing friends to look and comment about each others swings.

Last edited by charlie49; 11-18-2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

Actually, Buffalo driving range had a separate section where spouses could hit from or where you could do coaching. Personally I think that was one of the best things about that driving range - you could count on being able to hit balls without a bunch of distractions, and you could focus on your own swing. I went to Sarasota the other day, and listened to some guy trying to help his wife. He was loud and distracting, and it really ruined my time at the range. In addition there was a group of 4 ladies talking back and forth about what restaurant they wanted to go to for lunch. A lot of newbies don't realize there is a certain etiquette on driving ranges. Excessive chatter is a no-no.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
If he took your money and didn't deliver the lessons, he has violated the contract you had with him and I would sue him in small claims court.
My thought as well - up to my spouse to decide.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie49 View Post
Many people left that range because of Leahy's insistence that even spouses could not help one another with their swing. Does anyone know if the new management is continuing the 'No coaching, no teaching' policy that had been posted? The Village's ranges are far better in allowing friends to look and comment about each others swings.
I hope the "No coaching", stays in effect.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I stopped going to that range quite a while ago. No Coaching turned into No Talking! If I can't talk to my wife somewhere, I just stop going. Plus, the woman that works there is one of the rudest persons I have encountered in The Villages. Although, not golf cart accessible, I prefer Tree Tops, if going off campus.

You should be able to focus and cancel out all distractions around you [wind, cars, train, conversation, etc.], when addressing the ball. So, maybe the coaching, talking and constant chatter could actually help your game...
Old 11-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

Here is a link from Golfsmith.com that describes courtesy on driving ranges. One of the biggest culprits is cell phones - I've seen people on The Villages ranges that think nothing of having a long conversation on their phone while everyone else is trying to hit. Unbelievably rude.http://golftips.golfsmith.com/golf-d...ette-1808.html
Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 AM

That mean lady was his wife. Anyway, What happens is other teaching professionals use their range to give lessons without pahing rent. Leahy"s main source of income was lessons. The villages won't let outside professionals teach at their ranges either. I was at Palmer few years ago where there was a outside lady professional giving lessons and there was big confrontation asking her to leave. It's obvious who is a teacher and who is someone helping there spouse.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmen View Post
That mean lady was his wife. Anyway, What happens is other teaching professionals use their range to give lessons without pahing rent. Leahy"s main source of income was lessons. The villages won't let outside professionals teach at their ranges either. I was at Palmer few years ago where there was a outside lady professional giving lessons and there was big confrontation asking her to leave. It's obvious who is a teacher and who is someone helping there spouse.
Whew.... I had to read your post a couple times. I thought you were going to say the mean lady was your wife... Glad that wasn't the case.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Wow!

surprised at exit! BUT not surprised by some posters....When they didn't allow assistance from spouse at range that did it for us....No one knows my golf swing better than the "ole boy"....
Old 11-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Whew.... I had to read your post a couple times. I thought you were going to say the mean lady was your wife... Glad that wasn't the case.
Laughing....my wife is always in a great mood. She can do no wrong.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmen View Post
Laughing....my wife is always in a great mood. She can do no wrong.
LOL.... Be sure you let her read that post!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I normally practice a Buffalo Ridge as I liked their combination of "hitting off the grass" driving range and the short game area which includes a large chipping area and large putting green and sand trap practice.

The "mean woman", who's name is Deanna if you ever talked to her, was always pleasant with a sly sense of humor that I appreciated. She's was always generous to me and even once while I was hitting late and she was the only one there and going to scoop up the hit balls, she took the time to bring me out a cold bottle of water on the house, as she saw I was perspiring and she was worried about me. I was touched by that.

I guess I'll have to go down there and see what's up. I also have an uncompleted range ball card.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

I too found Deanna to be friendly and courteous, and yes, she is Patrick's wife. She always had a friendly smile, remembered my name, and gave me extra golf balls for the price of a small bucket. And she was an incredibly hard worker. If she wasn't answering the phone, doing things on the computer, she was out picking up range balls, or you name it. I imagine if you weren't playing by their rules, and got spoken to for it, it might color your perceptions about the staff there, but my spouse and I found her to be terrific. As far as spouse coaching, mine would assist with my swing, but we'd do it at the end of the range, where they had a section marked off for that type of thing, where no one was around and we wouldn't bother anyone. I hope the new owners/managers continue with that practice.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.