Long time TV Residents & Golf

Old 03-03-2024, 04:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,097 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
The developer should follow in a common theme they go by and create their own golf maintenance company. They could take advantage of the huge economies of scale involved in owning specialized equipment that might only be used once a month on each course.

I honestly don't know how some of the smaller muni courses up north can maintain fairly good conditions just using a small team of seasonal golf maintenance workers and limited equipment.
The way it's usually done Mr.Chip, is either a "sharing" among friendly, nearby courses or out-sourcing certain specialized work.

For example, the club I belong to up north, is a stickler for conditioning. We're probably one of the best conditioned courses in NH. In September of last year, we aerated the entire golf course, greens, tees & fairways. We sub-contracted that work out, to a large firm that could do the entire job in 3 days, which minimized "down time" for the members. My entire premise, is given the concentration of golf courses here in TV, a single-source maintenance operation, could afford the best equipment and personnel, as the equipment and people would be utilized every day.

A friend of mine, was an Assistant Professional at the Robt. T. Lynch golf course, in Brookline, MA. This course is located next to the famed The Country Club. When the public course superintendent needed a specialized piece of equipment, he'd walk next door and borrow it from TCC ... they had everything, cost was no object. They actually borrowed one piece of equipment years ago and as of 4 years later, they still had it ... TCC never missed it and didn't ask for it back.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:15 PM
Sage

So BrianL99 did you call the golf division or powers-that-be and talk to them?? I know frustrations are about venting on social media BUT this golf-course convo is getting rather old. It's discussed several times on social media sites. Maybe if you speak to the people who are "in charge" that would help. I realize this is a community and you were "promised" something that you feel you aren't getting. Back in the day some years ago---maybe 10 or 12, on this site---someone constantly was complaining (I don't recall about what) and the question was asked---"then why don't you move if you're unhappy?" His answer was, "I like the life-style!!!"
Old 03-03-2024, 05:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erider View Post
Brian, first thanks for all your comments, it's obvious that you know what you are talking about about.

It appears to be a problem of the blind leading the blind. People without necessary turf management expertise are directing maintenance performed by glorified lawn care companies.
Thank you for the kind words.

I think you're right. The person leading the operation doesn't need to be the world's expert on turf management, but he needs to know what real golfers expect, know who to hire and then hold that person accountable or make a change if his choice can't handle the job.

In the case of Mr. Leininger, he apparently reports to: https://www.linkedin.com/in/captainbrown/. Captain Brown was in the Coast Guard for 36 years and retired as a Captain. I didn't find any golf experience on his LinkedIn.

A guy named David Williams is in charge of "Golf Course Operations" and has an entirely different chain of command. He's a PGA Professional, but has no LinkedIn page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erider View Post

I believe that it would be of great benefit for a person with your resume to have a chat with the two gentleman named in this thread. I am a retired PGA professional with over 30 years in the business. Perhaps I could send them an email introducing them to you and suggesting a meeting. DM me your contact info if you'd like to try this.
Thank you for the offer. I live in TV and play golf most every day. If I have any insight of value to the golf community at large, I'm happy to do whatever. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm more than a little bored.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-03-2024 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:26 PM
Veteran member

Attached? "Evergreen foothills of San Jose on the site of a former vinyard?" Doesn't sound like around here!
Old 03-03-2024, 07:03 PM

There has been a lot of discussion as to what the Vccdd or Developer owns or controls. As it relates to the golf courses, the Vccdd owns and operates 36 of the 41 executive golf courses. The five executive golf courses south of Hwy 44 are still owned and maintained by the Developer. At some point in the future the Developer will probably sell them to the Districts. All of the Championship courses are owned and operated by the Developer.

As to who controls everything in The Villages. It is the Developer.

The Vccdd is a governmental body. There is a contract among all of the different districts that allows the Vccdd district to run everything in The Villages. The board that runs the Vccdd are elected. They are elected by the property owners within the district. The Vccdd is a commercial community develop district centered in Spanish Springs. Since the Developer owns all of the commercial land in the Spanish Springs area the Developer simply puts his own people into those board positions.

I don't understand why the Developer hasn't demanded that the maintenance contracts be complied with. I would think that well maintained executive golf course would help sell houses.

Down to Earth is one of three companies handling the maintenance. They have improved the quality of their work within the last 6 months. The other two contractors, ASG and Brightview don't seem to care. ASG actually blocks my emails from getting to their Management.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Attached? "Evergreen foothills of San Jose on the site of a former vinyard?" Doesn't sound like around here!
Sorry, you're right. It came up in Google Search for "The Villages", FL and I didn't read it carefully enough, obviously.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletommy View Post
There has been a lot of discussion as to what the Vccdd or Developer owns or controls. As it relates to the golf courses, the Vccdd owns and operates 36 of the 41 executive golf courses. The five executive golf courses south of Hwy 44 are still owned and maintained by the Developer. At some point in the future the Developer will probably sell them to the Districts. All of the Championship courses are owned and operated by the Developer.

As to who controls everything in The Villages. It is the Developer.

The Vccdd is a governmental body. There is a contract among all of the different districts that allows the Vccdd district to run everything in The Villages.
You sound like you understand the structure fairly well. A couple of questions if you don't mind::

I was told (or read) that there are (2) different entities that own golf courses & amenities, the SLCDD and the VCCDD. Is that incorrect?

I read today in the ************* (& we all know they never get anything wrong), the Amenity Authority Committee handles north of 466 and the Project Wide Advisory Committee, handles south of 466.

I know the Developer controls the entity (VCCDD) that manages everything and that puts the Morse's into the position of being the Benevolent Dictators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletommy View Post

I don't understand why the Developer hasn't demanded that the maintenance contracts be complied with. I would think that well maintained executive golf course would help sell houses.

Down to Earth is one of three companies handling the maintenance. They have improved the quality of their work within the last 6 months. The other two contractors, ASG and Brightview don't seem to care. ASG actually blocks my emails from getting to their Management.
So ASG, Brightview & Down to Earth, do all the maintenance at the Developer owned Championship courses & they're contracted by the Developer controlled VCCDD to maintain the various Executive courses, too?

[Now that's a new one on me. I typed the name of a fairly well known Villages' Newspaper and it was automatically replaced with asterisks when it posted. Is there a TOTV prohibition about mentioning that name?]

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-03-2024 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Sorry, you're right. It came up in Google Search for "The Villages", FL and I didn't read it carefully enough, obviously.
Sir, you NEED a hobby! Maybe I'm wrong..... but I think you need a hobby.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4$ALE View Post
Sir, you NEED a hobby! Maybe I'm wrong..... but I think you need a hobby.
Ever since Paige Spiranac dumped me as her boy toy, I just seem lost.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Ever since Paige Spiranac dumped me as her boy toy, I just seem lost.
Lexie dumped me!
Old 03-03-2024, 08:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4$ALE View Post
Lexie dumped me!
That's too bad. Any chance she'll take you back?

She's an absolute sweetheart, with the best legs in the USA.

I spent 5 hours with her one day. The first 2, I didn't realize who she was. (She was following her brother Curtis at the LECOM K-F event and a friend of mine was in his group.)
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Brian & Lexi copy.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	103181  
Old 03-04-2024, 05:49 AM

I just wish people would take the time to understand how the round about work. Where anyone gets off thinking you can be in right hand lane cross the line to turn left is beyond me. 3 X last week happened to me fortunately I was ready ! almost got the second driver though he followed the first. Unbelievable
Old 03-04-2024, 06:33 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickim View Post
I just wish people would take the time to understand how the round about work. Where anyone gets off thinking you can be in right hand lane cross the line to turn left is beyond me. 3 X last week happened to me fortunately I was ready ! almost got the second driver though he followed the first. Unbelievable
The roundabout near the Starter's shack, off the 1st Tee of Laurel, at Palmer Legends?
Old 03-04-2024, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,992 Times in 4,159 Posts

Quote:
TDS isn't maintained by the Developer, based on what 2 different employees told me, in the last 2 weeks. According to what I was told, the "contractor" who maintained TDS, GV & Lopez has been moved down "south" to help with construction and/or grow in. The contractor that maintains Palmer & others, has taken over GV, TDS & LL.

The information flow in TV isn't always credible, but the people who told me this, *should* know the facts.

[Just read your correction. That follows what I've been told. Thanks for posting it]
That is probably true---3 months ago when conditions at Southern Oaks weren't all that good, the manager told me they were getting the maintenance staff from Glenview.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,992 Times in 4,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickim View Post
Unless the vehicle described drove out of the RB and across a golf course green, you are on the wrong thread

Tags
golf, villages, equipment, staff, courses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.