Mainly for Those who play The Villages Championship Courses

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-05-2021, 11:48 AM
Polish Golfer Polish Golfer is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: 1024 San Antonio Lane, Hacienda West
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 7 Posts
Default Mainly for Those who play The Villages Championship Courses

The Golf Administration has made a change to the number of ambassadors on the Championship courses. They are decreasing the number of ambassador's to make more money, that is the only reason I was told by other ambassadors. Now with the hotter summer months coming when we used to see the ambassador 2 (two) times while playing 9 holes and getting cold water each time we saw them. Well now you will be lucky to see the ambassador 1 (one) time in 18 holes. Well there goes the "Florida"s Friendliest Hometown" Golf out the window. Here is why: (1.) The pace of play is recommended around 4 hours and 15 minutes, give or take a few minutes either way. Now with the ambassador being stretched out can't check on the pace-of-play, we may be seeing 5 hour plus rounds..and that's no fun! (2.) Fresh cold water for the golfers..forget this, the ambassador will not have time to make water runs and help the golfers...now we have to be careful! (3.) Golf course conditions, the ambassadors used to check each teeing area and fill any divots with sand. The would also check the sand traps and place the rakes where the belong. The may also ask golfers to rake the sand trap after hitting out of them. Golfers know that they need to rake the traps after hitting out of them, the non-golfers don't know this. It's not fun playing from and un-raked sand trap, and that's the condition of most sand traps in The Villages! I think they should delete the number of Pro's here, maybe one Pro for three championship courses along with two or three executive courses. And bring back the ambassadors for at least 1 (one) for each 9 (nine) holes. If this bothers you, call golf administration and encourage them to have one ambassador for every nine. Golf Administration phone number is (352) 753-3396. Let's make golf fun again in The Villages!
  #2  
Old 06-05-2021, 12:01 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,904
Thanks: 508
Thanked 5,032 Times in 1,899 Posts
Default

Wow.
You appear really upset.

With or without Amb's, people will or will not rake traps.
If you hit into a trap & it's not raked......rake it & replace Ur ball........it's not a PGA Tourney.

There is water on the course.......tastes fresh to me & it's always cold.
(there's always discussions about if you should even drink provided water)

In ten (10) years an Amb has never impacted my round of golf.

My last four rounds of golf (maybe more, old with limited memory) have been sub-4 hours.

Stop by Walgreens and get a chill pill.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #3  
Old 06-05-2021, 01:05 PM
Mortal1 Mortal1 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 519
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,165 Times in 240 Posts
Default

As much as I dislike agreeing with 88 he's spot on. As a former Ambassador I can tell you the water on the course and in the Amb cart are filtered and from the same source. The ice makers they use also use the filter the water.

Since almost all golf carts come with a small cooler why not fill it with ice and your beverage of choice. Don't need more Amb. Need golfers with more common sense and courtesy/etiquette.

I've played with whiners a few times....I remember them and avoid playing with them at all costs.

Bunkers...I rake my area and another close by....quite similar to fixing your pitch mark and one or two others. So if we are losing ground in being "the friendliest hometown" it's due more to whiners and those with complete lack of common sense..or "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" school of upbringing than a lack of Amb.

You seem to equate good business/capitalism and greed. I find that a common mistake in many from the upper east coast who feel they deserve respect in lieu of earning it. Quite sad really.
  #4  
Old 06-05-2021, 01:18 PM
alwann's Avatar
alwann alwann is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Village of Gilchrist
Posts: 626
Thanks: 1
Thanked 328 Times in 114 Posts
Default

I think the increased minimum wage is part of the reason for cutting back on staff as well. The change probably won't make much difference in my game, except I may not get as many "good golfer" coupons since no one will see me rake, fix divots and put my trash in the appropriate receptacle. Now, if they raise the price of drinks at the starter shack, we'll know the real motive. The price of a pitcher of beer is already up to a point where I may order water with lemon. That'll teach 'em.
  #5  
Old 06-05-2021, 02:03 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15,378
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2,076 Times in 946 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
As much as I dislike agreeing with 88 he's spot on. As a former Ambassador I can tell you the water on the course and in the Amb cart are filtered and from the same source. The ice makers they use also use the filter the water.

Since almost all golf carts come with a small cooler why not fill it with ice and your beverage of choice. Don't need more Amb. Need golfers with more common sense and courtesy/etiquette.

I've played with whiners a few times....I remember them and avoid playing with them at all costs.

Bunkers...I rake my area and another close by....quite similar to fixing your pitch mark and one or two others. So if we are losing ground in being "the friendliest hometown" it's due more to whiners and those with complete lack of common sense..or "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" school of upbringing than a lack of Amb.

You seem to equate good business/capitalism and greed. I find that a common mistake in many from the upper east coast who feel they deserve respect in lieu of earning it. Quite sad really.
Well said!
  #6  
Old 06-05-2021, 02:09 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,534
Thanks: 4,294
Thanked 4,825 Times in 1,652 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Golfer View Post
The Golf Administration has made a change to the number of ambassadors on the Championship courses. They are decreasing the number of ambassador's to make more money, that is the only reason I was told by other ambassadors. Now with the hotter summer months coming when we used to see the ambassador 2 (two) times while playing 9 holes and getting cold water each time we saw them. Well now you will be lucky to see the ambassador 1 (one) time in 18 holes. Well there goes the "Florida"s Friendliest Hometown" Golf out the window. Here is why: (1.) The pace of play is recommended around 4 hours and 15 minutes, give or take a few minutes either way. Now with the ambassador being stretched out can't check on the pace-of-play, we may be seeing 5 hour plus rounds..and that's no fun! (2.) Fresh cold water for the golfers..forget this, the ambassador will not have time to make water runs and help the golfers...now we have to be careful! (3.) Golf course conditions, the ambassadors used to check each teeing area and fill any divots with sand. The would also check the sand traps and place the rakes where the belong. The may also ask golfers to rake the sand trap after hitting out of them. Golfers know that they need to rake the traps after hitting out of them, the non-golfers don't know this. It's not fun playing from and un-raked sand trap, and that's the condition of most sand traps in The Villages! I think they should delete the number of Pro's here, maybe one Pro for three championship courses along with two or three executive courses. And bring back the ambassadors for at least 1 (one) for each 9 (nine) holes. If this bothers you, call golf administration and encourage them to have one ambassador for every nine. Golf Administration phone number is (352) 753-3396. Let's make golf fun again in The Villages!
So. You are repeating gossip?
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #7  
Old 06-05-2021, 02:11 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,534
Thanks: 4,294
Thanked 4,825 Times in 1,652 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
As much as I dislike agreeing with 88 he's spot on. As a former Ambassador I can tell you the water on the course and in the Amb cart are filtered and from the same source. The ice makers they use also use the filter the water.

Since almost all golf carts come with a small cooler why not fill it with ice and your beverage of choice. Don't need more Amb. Need golfers with more common sense and courtesy/etiquette.

I've played with whiners a few times....I remember them and avoid playing with them at all costs.

Bunkers...I rake my area and another close by....quite similar to fixing your pitch mark and one or two others. So if we are losing ground in being "the friendliest hometown" it's due more to whiners and those with complete lack of common sense..or "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" school of upbringing than a lack of Amb.

You seem to equate good business/capitalism and greed. I find that a common mistake in many from the upper east coast who feel they deserve respect in lieu of earning it. Quite sad really.
Well said. VERY WELL SAID.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #8  
Old 06-05-2021, 02:13 PM
Marathon Man Marathon Man is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,687
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,420 Times in 520 Posts
Default

It doesn't bother me and I won't be calling.

1) Play will slow? Not really. Many golfers have complained for years that the ambassadors have little to no control over slow play.

2) No water? Really? They didn't provide water for several months. What did you do then?

3) Course conditions will deteriorate? Maybe. Perhaps you can help educate those beginner who do not understand what is expected of them.
  #9  
Old 06-05-2021, 02:15 PM
karostay's Avatar
karostay karostay is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Conn/Maine /
Posts: 2,724
Thanks: 110
Thanked 1,297 Times in 495 Posts
Default

No one to complain too Just may play a round
__________________
Don't take life Too Serious ..It isn't permanent
  #10  
Old 06-05-2021, 02:16 PM
Marathon Man Marathon Man is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,687
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,420 Times in 520 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Golfer View Post
The Golf Administration has made a change to the number of ambassadors on the Championship courses. They are decreasing the number of ambassador's to make more money, that is the only reason I was told by other ambassadors...
So, you believe that when the ambassadors were let go, they were told it was so the course could make more money. That's what someone says when they are unhappy to lose their job. The job that gave them discounts on golf.

Last edited by Marathon Man; 06-05-2021 at 02:48 PM.
  #11  
Old 06-05-2021, 10:31 PM
Woodbear Woodbear is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 23
Thanks: 30
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Is there a place on TOTV or other for a new to the area person to understand how the golf works in The Villages? From afar it seems there is a lot to understand how one even gets a tee time. It would be my expectation to spend most of the time on the Executive courses. Thanks in advance for the help.
  #12  
Old 06-06-2021, 04:03 AM
stanley's Avatar
stanley stanley is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: The here and now
Posts: 597
Thanks: 713
Thanked 1,047 Times in 354 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbear View Post
Is there a place on TOTV or other for a new to the area person to understand how the golf works in The Villages? From afar it seems there is a lot to understand how one even gets a tee time. It would be my expectation to spend most of the time on the Executive courses. Thanks in advance for the help.
You can start here...click on "Golfing in The Villages"


Golf The Villages
__________________
'1984' was meant to be a warning, not a guide book

Last edited by stanley; 06-06-2021 at 04:09 AM.
  #13  
Old 06-06-2021, 05:03 AM
chenault55 chenault55 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 20
Thanks: 427
Thanked 24 Times in 6 Posts
Default good golf

you can take the good golf class. it should be required so everyone will at least be aware that there are rules and etiquette for playing golf.
  #14  
Old 06-06-2021, 05:04 AM
thevillages2013 thevillages2013 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 279
Thanks: 197
Thanked 324 Times in 118 Posts
Default

What about beverage carts? That would be a money maker for them. Personally I bring my own water.
  #15  
Old 06-06-2021, 05:08 AM
donassaid donassaid is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 206
Thanks: 373
Thanked 550 Times in 127 Posts
Default

Sadly, many (but not all) Ambassadors have taken advantage of tge job. Gone are the days when they would stop by every group, refill your sand bottles, get you a cup of water and write up a commendation card if they see you filling multiple divots or fixing multiple ballmarks or raking traps. Now they sit in tge shade, reading a book and drive right past without even checking. One of the Ambassadors on tge Riley Grove (Palmer) nine was the best. He filled divots on tee boxes, raked traps and fixed ballmarks. It is little wonder TV is cutting back. A great many of the Ambassadors have become worthless and we can bring our own coolers and refill our sand at tge turns. Works for me.
Reply

Tags
golf, ambassador, sand, ambassadors, courses

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.