The male ego....

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Sage
Default The male ego....

Can anyone tell me why men have to play the black tees when they only hit the ball to the ladies tees???? On more than one occasion, we have been behind four male golfers who hit from the black tees. It is clear that they should be playing on the forward tees. Playing a par 4 is painful when they hit from the black. Just hit forward so we don't have to watch you struggle and hold up the game. It must be a male ego thing.....
Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Gold member

Hate to admit it but you are probably right.

My group plays from the white (#4) tees down here in our local CC.
Always amazes me when I see guys hitting from the 3's or even 2's and don't even hit it 150 yards. Yes, everyone has bad drives but when you watch them, every drive is bad. By bad, I mean no criticism of the length of their drive, just where they are playing from.

Of course these are the same guys who take 5 minutes looking at a putt.

If you can hit far then by all means play those tees but if not. . . TEE IT FORWARD!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

If a potential stroke per hole, is not a problem for them it certainly should not be for anybody else.
btk
Old 08-13-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Can anyone tell me why men have to play the black tees when they only hit the ball to the ladies tees???? On more than one occasion, we have been behind four male golfers who hit from the black tees. It is clear that they should be playing on the forward tees. Playing a par 4 is painful when they hit from the black. Just hit forward so we don't have to watch you struggle and hold up the game. It must be a male ego thing.....
Certain course layouts actually score better from tees that put you out of range of the built in hazards for a "normal" drive. That being said the black tees are not usually those tees. I know that the I can score as well from the brown tees as the blues, the whites are like a candy shop, driver wedge rinse repeat. I did play the Daly/Woods tee up at Lopez just once to see what it was like. I hit the best drive I could muster and just made it past the forward tee. I bogeyed the hole.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:03 AM
Sage

I believe Happi was primarily talking about the Exec courses, where you do get more inexperienced golfers. And, yes, quite often see golfers (mostly men) playing from the back/black tees whose swings/results would indicate that they should move up to at least the gold tees. To be fair, I have seen some women playing from the gold tees who would do much better from the forward/green tees.

I would hope it's less of a problem on the championship courses where golfers tend to be more experienced. The "after 5" crowd may be the exception.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:45 AM
Gold member

As long as they pick their ball up after a reasonable amount of strokes(6/par3, 8/par4, 9/par5)they should be fine.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Sage
Default "Playing white is like wearing a skirt"

It is a matter of course for me to watch from my home viewing from the friendly tee of a par 4 hole on a championship course:

Men hitting balls from all but the friendly tee into my birdcage or yard and into neighbors' on both sides. This is not rare, it happens several times a day from white, blue and black. What is extremely rare is for the ball to be left out of bounds, no matter if it's 20 feet up on the lawn.

On the other hand, women on women's and friendly tees help each other by fetching botched shots. Friends bring the ball back and the girlfriend tries again. I wish the guys would do this but they suffer the effects of testosterone poisoning.

this article says teeing from white feels like wearing a skirt.
Colorblind?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I believe Happi was primarily talking about the Exec courses, where you do get more inexperienced golfers. And, yes, quite often see golfers (mostly men) playing from the back/black tees whose swings/results would indicate that they should move up to at least the gold tees. To be fair, I have seen some women playing from the gold tees who would do much better from the forward/green tees.

I would hope it's less of a problem on the championship courses where golfers tend to be more experienced. The "after 5" crowd may be the exception.
I live on Glenview and unfortunately this happens all the time, my husband calls it "playing their ego's". These are usually the guys who get up on the tee, do all their exercises to loosen up, swing the club back and forth and then blow the shot ................. But, sometimes in the evening, the young pros from the various championship courses will come through and they are a pleasure to watch.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 AM

Many feel the number one problem with golf is slow play. Men not playing the correct tees for their ability level is a definite cause (testosterone poisoning?). Women playing more strokes than double par is another cause (estrogen poisoning?). There are other causes, but rather than accusing either sex, we should all strive to do what must be done to maintain pace of play.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnonne View Post
Many feel the number one problem with golf is slow play. Men not playing the correct tees for their ability level is a definite cause (testosterone poisoning?). Women playing more strokes than double par is another cause (estrogen poisoning?). There are other causes, but rather than accusing either sex, we should all strive to do what must be done to maintain pace of play.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 AM

I'm not a golfer...yet...but isn't that the rule? Men and women T from different spots? There are men's T and women's T areas...right? It's like getting another handicap if you get to pick. You couldn't compare scores accurately if one man used a T much closer than the other. It's that way to "equalize" the women and elderly with the men who are usually much better. It's the only way to compare men accurately. All have to use the same T.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnonne View Post
The Village courses maintain pace of play better than any other course(s) I've played in many areas of the country. And the ambassadors don't even try to make people move faster. It's amazing.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Can anyone tell me why men have to play the black tees when they only hit the ball to the ladies tees???? It must be a male ego thing.....
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head.
I need a video camera with a zoom. The men and the ladies alike are highly entertaining to watch...are they still doing that game show where you win a prize for making people laugh?

One day I'll be a Golf Clown too...just you wait!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Sage

whoa. news flash. four golfers (two couples), champion course, 4 par hole, white tee. one man went in the neighbor's yard to get his ball just past friendly, one woman picked her ball up from just past the friendly tee and they drove with it in the cart to the green. dang. I don't have the video camera yet.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.