Mallory Hills Caroline No. 5

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Gold member
Default Mallory Hills Caroline No. 5

Last week while playing at Mallory Hill we were talking to the ambassador while waiting to play our seconds shots on Caroline No. 5 (the difficult par 5 over water). We probably had to wait for 5-7 minutes for the fairway to clear. The ambassador told us that The Villages is going to redesign this hole by filling in the water hazard at the far end of the fairway to the right of the bridge (not the water hazard on the left side). He said that this hole is the main cause of slow play on Caroline, and eliminating that part of the hazard will speed up play by giving players the option to lay up their second shots to a "safer" place.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

That hole sure slowed me down. Happy for the change.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thumbs up Good news for many...

That sounds great. IMO, it was a poorly designed hole for just that reason. It has no way for someone to play safe, except to hit a 100 yard layup.

In addition, while some players cannot get over the hazard in two, longer players can reach the green in two which makes it unfair.

I have many friends that will be glad to hear that.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:37 PM

If the purpose is to speed up play, I don't see that happening. Having played that hole many times and laying up most of the time, the balls that go in the water are hit in the pond nearer the green. I enjoy the challenge it presents as most of the men who play in our group do. Good to have a challenge now and then.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:58 PM

I would build a new green to the right of the bridge and turn #5 into a par 4. Then make number 6 a par 5 by make the #6 tee box where the green is now for # 5.

Does that make sense?
Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Sage

Sounds like a good idea. For players that don't feel they can carry the pond, they risk going into the water if they try to lay up near the bridge because the slope will take the ball into the water. If they play conservatively to avoid that, they are left with a very long third shot.

For those who like the challenge, nothing is changed.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Gold member

If they had a level landing area, (with grass) I think you would have more golfers make it over the water.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:14 PM

I agree. A significant challenge to getting over the water is hitting off such a tight lie. A little grass under the ball would help.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.