Mikey Lee

Old 04-11-2024, 08:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave951 View Post
It's disappointing to see all the open tee times for pitch-n-putt Obviously it's not as popular as they expected it to be. A better choice would have been executive golf
2 of the 3 pitch n putts are located in places where an executive would not fit. Would you be happier if they just added more homes there instead of adding a pitch n putt? Don't forget that the pitch n putts offload some of the demand for executives.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,333 Times in 603 Posts

A lot of people say that there wasn’t room for executive courses on the NE side of the turnpike.

However, they have never explained how there was room for a championship course in the area. Instead of building Southern Oaks, they could have built 2 or 3 executives. From my experience, most people play executive courses and prefer to live closer to executive courses.

If they had, they probably wouldn’t have the problem that they are having selling homes in Lake Denham or Dabney. Those homes would be a short ride from Sawgrass and two executive courses!
Old 04-12-2024, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,299 Times in 4,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
A lot of people say that there wasn’t room for executive courses on the NE side of the turnpike.

However, they have never explained how there was room for a championship course in the area. Instead of building Southern Oaks, they could have built 2 or 3 executives. From my experience, most people play executive courses and prefer to live closer to executive courses.

If they had, they probably wouldn’t have the problem that they are having selling homes in Lake Denham or Dabney. Those homes would be a short ride from Sawgrass and two executive courses!
Considering there were exactly ZERO Championship courses south of 44, Southern Oaks made perfect sense (there were already 5 executive courses south of 44).

If they hadn't built Southern Oaks, people would be complaining that there were STILL no championship courses south of 44. Plus, they wanted to put the pro shop in Sawgrass, and have the putting course there...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-12-2024, 03:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Considering there were exactly ZERO Championship courses south of 44, Southern Oaks made perfect sense (there were already 5 executive courses south of 44).

If they hadn't built Southern Oaks, people would be complaining that there were STILL no championship courses south of 44. Plus, they wanted to put the pro shop in Sawgrass, and have the putting course there...
That is a totally different argument. However, from the people that I speak to, most of them would have preferred two or three executives rather than a championship course. Also, there were about 908,000 rounds played on championship courses (324 holes) last year and 2,564,000 rounds on the executive courses (369 holes).

The demand is for executive courses - not the championship courses. And I think they are building two or three championship courses in Eastport.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
That is a totally different argument. However, from the people that I speak to, most of them would have preferred two or three executives rather than a championship course. Also, there were about 908,000 rounds played on championship courses (324 holes) last year and 2,564,000 rounds on the executive courses (369 holes).

The demand is for executive courses - not the championship courses. And I think they are building two or three championship courses in Eastport.
Actually the announced plans so far call for 3 championship and 4 Executive and 1 pitch and putt west of the turnpike.

I think we’re going to be just fine over here.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,299 Times in 4,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Actually the announced plans so far call for 3 championship and 4 Executive and 1 pitch and putt west of the turnpike.

I think we’re going to be just fine over here.
And the first championship, executive and pitch & putt courses scheduled to open (later this year) will be just over the new Bexley Bridge that just opened...

All quite close to Southern Oaks...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-13-2024, 12:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

They really should've added an executive as well as building Southern Oaks. There was plenty of room there to do it at the sacrifice of a few less homes being built. They could've easily got their money back by selling golf course lots anyways.

Some people likely don't realize that the 5 executives that are "south of 44" are nowhere near the villages that are "south of 44" AND East of Morse Ave (Hawkins, Citrus Grove, Lake Denham, etc), more like a 30-40 minute golf cart ride for most of those folks. So that area around Sawgrass has to be the most isolated area of TV when it comes to proximity to an executive course.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
So that area around Sawgrass has to be the most isolated area of TV when it comes to proximity to an executive course.
That is correct. The only good news is that they are building courses in Eastport. This will help those in Hawkins, St. Catherine, Cason Hammock, Citrus Grove, and Newell. However, if you live in Chitty Chatty, Bradford, Lake Denham, or Dabney, you will still have a long ride to the Eastport courses.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
They really should've added an executive as well as building Southern Oaks. There was plenty of room there to do it at the sacrifice of a few less homes being built. They could've easily got their money back by selling golf course lots anyways.

Some people likely don't realize that the 5 executives that are "south of 44" are nowhere near the villages that are "south of 44" AND East of Morse Ave (Hawkins, Citrus Grove, Lake Denham, etc), more like a 30-40 minute golf cart ride for most of those folks. So that area around Sawgrass has to be the most isolated area of TV when it comes to proximity to an executive course.
Some people purchased realizing the areas is under development and those courses and all the new ones will be less than 15 min away once McNeil and Corbin are open.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

The demand is for executive courses - not the championship courses. And I think they are building two or three championship courses in Eastport.[/QUOTE]

Both Executive and Championship courses give the developer high priced "golf view" lots to sell. But the execs are maintained like public parks, while the championship courses are profit making private property. Like Southern Oaks in the beginning, I would not be surprised to see these new championship courses to have the highest greens fees in The Villages. Perhaps close to $100 per round in the high season?
Old 04-13-2024, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Some people purchased realizing the areas is under development and those courses and all the new ones will be less than 15 min away once McNeil and Corbin are open.
Agreed. The new Laurel Oak exec that is well underway will be 5 minutes over the Bexley Bridge. Belleaire, next to Eastport, another 5-7 minutes further. Another 10 minutes will get you to the new Beautyberry and Honeysuckle execs that are under development. True a little further from Chitty Chatty, but you can always go north and take advantage of those courses (oh way, 7 of them are closed at the moment....)
Old 04-13-2024, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,144 Times in 2,775 Posts

Quote:
Don't forget that the pitch n putts offload some of the demand for executives.
More executives would do an even better job of offloading the demand on the existing ones.

Tags
executive, lee, mikey, putt-n-play, pitch-n-putt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.