New to Golf

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Default New to Golf

My husband and I are completely Golf virgins. Any suggestions for beginner lessons?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TednRobin View Post
My husband and I are completely Golf virgins. Any suggestions for beginner lessons?
Hi Robin. I know Arnold Plamers gives a week lessons. My wife took them and it works well. Good luck
Old 11-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Start by reviewing the information on this site.
http://golfthevillages.com/
Old 11-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Gold member

The Villages Golf Academy has a "new to golf" program that is pretty good. Cost for 7 1/2hrs is $225 per person.

Tree Tops Golf in Lady Lake also has a new to golf program that is 7 1/2hrs for $150.

Not sure what the difference is between them as far as instruction is.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Gold member

I started in 1984 and I am just starting to understand the game. Keep your head down and swing slow. It is never the ball or the club, its always your fault when you mess up and like most of life, if you can not laugh at your mistakes, DO NOT PLAY GOLF as it will win in the end.

I love to play golf.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Once you have taken the beginners lesson series, go to the driving range and hit balls. The more the merrier. Most of us will be happy to play with you. Everyone has to start sometime and hopefully your first rounds will be with someone who understands. If not, don't let that stop you. We all sucked when we started.
Irish
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions and words of encouragement.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
Once you have taken the beginners lesson series, go to the driving range and hit balls. The more the merrier. Most of us will be happy to play with you. Everyone has to start sometime and hopefully your first rounds will be with someone who understands. If not, don't let that stop you. We all sucked when we started.
Irish
Absolutely true.....and some of us (me) haven't gotten much better even after years of playing. My suggestions.....1. learn golf etiquette and 2. play quickly. I have found that I enjoy playing golf with golfers of all skill levels. But what can ruin an outing very quickly is a golfer that makes no effort to keep pace and does not know golf etiquette. Welcome to a wonderful game!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Thanks for all your suggestions and words of encouragement.
My wife and I will be in TV starting January. If you need someone to help you get started with golf, I'll be happy to play a round or two with you guys.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:39 AM

50 years ago my Dad taught his 4 sons how to play golf on Saturday afternoons at the Country Club. Needless to say, we learned "waving through", "never hit into the group in front of you", and "ready golf" at an early age.

Great decision to learn the game but get someone to better explain what I'm talking about and you will absolutely love the game (conflict free).
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager II View Post
I started in 1984 and I am just starting to understand the game. Keep your head down and swing slow. It is never the ball or the club, its always your fault when you mess up and like most of life, if you can not laugh at your mistakes, DO NOT PLAY GOLF as it will win in the end.

I love to play golf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
Absolutely true.....and some of us (me) haven't gotten much better even after years of playing. My suggestions.....1. learn golf etiquette and 2. play quickly. I have found that I enjoy playing golf with golfers of all skill levels. But what can ruin an outing very quickly is a golfer that makes no effort to keep pace and does not know golf etiquette. Welcome to a wonderful game!!!
These two posts are spot on. Golf is one of the few games that one can play with another person who's skill level is vastly different, and still enjoy the game. The key is, as brostholder stated, golf etiquette and speedy play. Don't be afraid to pick up your ball if you are struggling and go to the next hole - don't spend a lot of time looking for a lost ball, throw down another and keep moving, your score is unimportant when learning to play, just try to make good contact, and celebrate your successes. Golf is a game you must be willing to be bad at, before you will ever get better.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Sage

Years ago a teaching pro told me "Golf is a game of misses. Celebrate your good shots, and don't berate yourself for those that aren't."

Remember, it's a GAME. Enjoy!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Don't forget to go to the "Good Golf School" it's free at different rec centeres and will show you how to use the tee time system. They also spend some time on golf etiquette.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.