New Golfer Looking for a Group or Starting a Group

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Default New Golfer Looking for a Group or Starting a Group

Just took up golf again after more than 20 years. This time I did it right; took some lessions, had a fitting, go to the range regularly.

That said, I am still not very good (don't want to scare anyone off). Looking for some people who want to have a regular game at least twice a week. I live in Pennecamp so I am looking for action south of 466. Post your response(s) or PM me.

Thanks
Bob

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM

I manage 2 groups. They play Tuesday and Saturday afternoon on the championship courses. We do require you to be priority. Check us out at www. tsagg.com
Old 02-10-2012, 11:13 AM

Thanks Regor.....sadly I am not yet ready for Championship level courses.

Bpb

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Default New Golfer

My wife and I have just started to golf. We took lessons at Arnold Palmer...never held a golf club before. We have been practicing at the range and went out on the course with some friends 1x at Turtle Mound. That seemed like a good course to start with. We are so anxious to get out there again but want to go with new golfers. Let us know if you still want to go out, we'd be glad to join you. Maryanddoug
Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Default Beginning Golfer

I am really surprised that in such a golf-centric community as the Villages, there is no organized play structure for beginners golfers (similar to the highly organized playtime structure for pickleball).

I took the 5-day class at Palmer last year. When I asked them about ongoing practice, they suggested I just schedule myself at the executive courses. Since then, every time I have played, I have been paired with three "expert" golfers who were generally impatient with my lack of expertise. I felt I was holding up the game.

Is there a beginning golfer club or group(s), or structured play time for golfers with similar (high) handicap ? If one doesn't exist, should we consider starting one ? I would give it a shot, but I am a snowbird resident, and these clubs take a while to get started.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to gooeyg

I am not an expert by any stretch but love to get out and play and I am very patient. I am here in The Villages (village of Poinciana) for 3-5 week stretches for now. E-mail me at gooeyg@optonline.net if you want to go out on an executive course sometime.

Dan
Old 08-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Doesn't Pennecamp have a social group. I lived in Tamarind Grove which is newer village, it's only about a year and 1/2 old. We have a woman named Rosie that emails news letters weekly plus updates all the time. They have organized executive golf groups for newbies, couples, experienced golfers and we also have groups that play the championship courses. I got an email just last week that they are organizing a gun club, they have a lot of groups.

I play on our softball team and we play against Pennecamp and they seem to be organized squad. Maybe you should check in at your rec center or the next village over, Buttonwood. I know they have several groups for golf, go to the Fish Hawk Rec Center on Buttonwood Run.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 PM

I live in Sanibel Village south of Morse and is a beginner golfer. I would love to team up with a ladies beginner group that plays at Turtle Mound. I tool the week lesson at Palmer's and they said that Turtle Mound was one of the easiest courses to start off with. I would love to hear from anyone that would like to play as a beginner. Please email me at connieclinard@bellsouth.net if you know of a group. Thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 AM

I live in the Village of Sunset Pointe and would like to find a group of ladies to play executive golf. Also interested in a couples group. Teresa
Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2villages View Post
I am really surprised that in such a golf-centric community as the Villages, there is no organized play structure for beginners golfers (similar to the highly organized playtime structure for pickleball).

I took the 5-day class at Palmer last year. When I asked them about ongoing practice, they suggested I just schedule myself at the executive courses. Since then, every time I have played, I have been paired with three "expert" golfers who were generally impatient with my lack of expertise. I felt I was holding up the game.

Is there a beginning golfer club or group(s), or structured play time for golfers with similar (high) handicap ? If one doesn't exist, should we consider starting one ? I would give it a shot, but I am a snowbird resident, and these clubs take a while to get started.

Thanks.
This is a very delicate area. Holding up the game even new golfers can avoid and it may be the reason that new golfers playing together is not encouraged. If a new group who does not feel familiar with the premise of keeping moving at a certain pace plays together and is not keeping up with the group ahead of them, which hopefully is keeping the pace, than a golf course can be slowed down for the whole day and ruins the good time for all that follow the slow players..

You don't have to be good or experienced to keep the pace and that is why you really should be playing with more experienced people. If you take more than six or seven shots on a par three, you should pick up the ball at six..

When I began to play 40 years ago, I was told that you don't have to play well to be on the golf course but you do have to keep the pace of golf. If you are not aware of this you will not find many who want to play with you. It is embarassing to hold up play.

There are those that because they are new will say, I am retired, I don't want to rush, but unfortunately the pace of play is very important to all golfers, and very soon it will be easier and more fun to play. Playing the forward tees on the executive courses is not too challenging. If you hit an errant shot into the weeds or the water, don't look for it for more than a minute. Get a bunch of old balls that you don't mind losing. We all have been there.

My husband and I have played with many new golfers and we are not critical and not mean, but we have explained this to our children and our grandchildren too. I am saying this to all beginning golfers because it is hard to hear but very much needed.

http://goarticles.com/article/How-to...ourse/6483465/

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-04-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This is a very delicate area. Holding up the game even new golfers can avoid and it may be the reason that new golfers playing together is not encouraged. If a new group who does not feel familiar with the premise of keeping moving at a certain pace plays together and is not keeping up with the group ahead of them, which hopefully is keeping the pace, than a golf course can be slowed down for the whole day and ruins the good time for all that follow the slow players..

You don't have to be good or experienced to keep the pace and that is why you really should be playing with more experienced people. If you take more than six or seven shots on a par three, you should pick up the ball at six..

When I began to play 40 years ago, I was told that you don't have to play well to be on the golf course but you do have to keep the pace of golf. If you are not aware of this you will not find many who want to play with you. It is embarassing to hold up play.

There are those that because they are new will say, I am retired, I don't want to rush, but unfortunately the pace of play is very important to all golfers, and very soon it will be easier and more fun to play. Playing the forward tees on the executive courses is not too challenging. If you hit an errant shot into the weeds or the water, don't look for it for more than a minute. Get a bunch of old balls that you don't mind losing. We all have been there.

My husband and I have played with many new golfers and we are not critical and not mean, but we have explained this to our children and our grandchildren too. I am saying this to all beginning golfers because it is hard to hear but very much needed.
That's so true Gracie..When I started playing not that long ago I would constantly ask my husband if I was going fast enough and would I be a burden to play with. He told me if it looks like I am holding people up, to pick up my ball. I have always done that and have no problem keeping up. I would then drop it in the drop zone so I could putt with the rest of the golfers. I eventually got the hang of the pace and now can play with others above my skill level.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.