Twilight Golf - Kicked Off the Course?

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Default Twilight Golf - Kicked Off the Course?

Just a quick inquiry. We were asked by the ambassador on a championship course to stop playing after the 7th hole of our back 9 last night. He said he was concerned for our safety on the course, in the "darkness", that we might drive into a bunker. It was 8:25 when he talked to us, there was plenty of daylight left to finish our round (2 more holes). We were quite surprised but did quit as he requested. We've never had this happen before on any course...and played hundreds of rounds of twilight golf! Has anyone else had this experience?

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 07-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayesun View Post
Just a quick inquiry. We were asked by the ambassador on a championship course to stop playing after the 7th hole of our back 9 last night. He said he was concerned for our safety on the course, in the "darkness", that we might drive into a bunker. It was 8:25 when he talked to us, there was plenty of daylight left to finish our round (2 more holes). We were quite surprised but did quit as he requested. We've never had this happen before on any course...and played hundreds of rounds of twilight golf! Has anyone else had this experience?
Did you walk on or pay?
Old 07-09-2017, 11:49 AM

We had the 5:00 slot start time, were paired up with a great father-son team & were having a wonderful time - 3 hours & 25 minutes into our round, 16 holes completed. We've never been unable to finish 18 holes when we start at 5:00 (weather permitting), including into September.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

Old 07-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,915 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
We had the 5:00 slot start time, were paired up with a great father-son team & were having a wonderful time - 3 hours & 25 minutes into our round, 16 holes completed. We've never been unable to finish 18 holes when we start at 5:00 (weather permitting), including into September.
I'd stop by that country club and ask the course manager what was up.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
You do know that you don't sign up for 18. Sunset was approx. 8:29 p.m.

http://www.golfthevillages.com/whats...light-golf.pdf Here is a number to call and ask.... unless you you want the answer from the 50,000 experts here.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post

http://www.golfthevillages.com/whats...light-golf.pdf Here is a number to call and ask.... unless you you want the answer from the 50,000 experts here.
Soliciting feedback from the "50,000 experts"; yes to see if they've had a similar experience...as we haven't and found it troubling. Seems this particular ambassador was flexing his muscle inappropriately. Yes, certainly aware I'm not paying for a guaranteed 18 holes...but unlimited golf based on weather & visibility. I'm not pursuing it to higher authority at this point; not looking to get the guy in trouble; unless he's making a habit of "kicking players off HIS course".

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

Last edited by grayesun; 07-09-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:39 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Perhaps you were the last group on the Course and the Ambassador had a hot date at 9:00 and he needed to shower and be ready for what might develop later on in the evening. Who knows----just joking. On the other hand, perhaps he is new to the job and thought he was doing the right thing. We have played some twilight golf and never encountered an Ambassador telling us when it was too dark and for safety reasons we should call it a night.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Perhaps you were the last group on the Course and the Ambassador had a hot date at 9:00 and he needed to shower and be ready for what might develop later on in the evening. Who knows----just joking. On the other hand, perhaps he is new to the job and thought he was doing the right thing. We have played some twilight golf and never encountered an Ambassador telling us when it was too dark and for safety reasons we should call it a night.
Thanks for the feedback on your twilight golf experiences. Being the 5:00 tee time, we were aware of at least 2 groups behind us, they were also kicked off the course. Prior to last night, ambassadors always have come around & tell us it's their last loop around the course, to see if we need anything before they take off for the day...that's what so puzzling about what happened last night. Saturday night, hot date...maybe? But we're big kids, and can be trusted not to steal the golf course!

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

Old 07-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Maybe the guy just wanted to go home? You couldn't have had too much daylight left at 8:30. AND it only cost seven or eight bucks..........
Old 07-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Soliciting feedback from the "50,000 experts"; yes to see if they've had a similar experience...as we haven't and found it troubling. Seems this particular ambassador was flexing his muscle inappropriately. Yes, certainly aware I'm not paying for a guaranteed 18 holes...but unlimited golf based on weather & visibility. I'm not pursuing it to higher authority at this point; not looking to get the guy in trouble; unless he's making a habit of "kicking players off HIS course".
But, you did ask. Not sure even if one poster had the same experience, what you would do with that information. Do you?
The advice to check with the club pro was right....how can he fix a problem if he isn't aware?
Old 07-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

My groups (2-3) play until twilights last gleaming every Wednesday afternoon; whatever course we're on the ambassador usually comes around and tells us it's his/her final go-around.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Sage

It's 8:34 as I type....and is quite dark outside with just a tad bit of light in the western horizen. I guess I wouldn't want to try to find my ball if I were hitting it off...but to each his own. When I first look outside though, it was about 8:27 and still even at that time it was darker than I'd feel comfortable having it be. I just don't see how one could finish up their game that late........

Last edited by NotGolfer; 07-09-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Gold member
Default After 5pm you can play all you want for $7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post

No need for an expert. Just someone who knows whats going on.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Gold member

It is expected that you show common sense and it is NOT up to the ambassador to impose that on you...I know as I was one.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Did you walk on or pay?
You can do both, gg.

If you want to start after the shops close, you can just start playing and the ambassador will write you up properly so you can go to (or call) the golf shop the next day and pay. I can start after 6:30 and get nine in easily. Great policy.

I've had ambassadors tell me they're making their last round....but never had one tell me to stop playing.
Closed Thread

Tags
twilight, golf, surprised, holes, round

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.