Not enough golf courses

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Default Not enough golf courses

We have lived here 10 and have found it increasingly hard to get t times and we are priority. (not snowbirds) I don't think that is right of The Villages to keep purchasing land, both north and south and not add another championship course. First it was Fruitland Park, now 300 Villas upnorth and soon to be 1000 acres south of Brownwood. I don't think it is right to keep squeezing more people onto the courses. One little exec. south of Brownwood won't cut it. Greed at our expense. Just sayin....
Old 04-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

and only 40 percent of villagers play golf ??
Old 04-22-2016, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Have not had a problem getting even short notice times. Not a priority member
Old 04-22-2016, 11:25 AM
nkrifats

Have not had an issue with Tee times and am not priority. One needs to be flexible about time and course in my opinion
Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Have not had a problem getting even short notice times. Not a priority member
I agree.
I too have been here 10+years. Been both Priority and non Priority, playing twice a week on both exec's & Champ's. I can count on both hands the number of times a tee time was denied.
Too often people complain, when actually it's the way the request system is being used.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Sage

No problem here either.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:54 AM

You must remember this is not YOUR COUNTRY CLUB. If you want to be able to walk on any time join one. Just saying!
Old 04-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Gold member

Do you like to play outside courses? If you do, you might try Pennbrooke Fairways on Hwy. 44 up the road from Brownwood. They have 3-nine hole courses. Par 30 and par 32 small courses, and The Sanctuary (par 35) is a full-length nine. They have a pro shop and grille, too. And the great thing, it isn't crowded and no rangers telling you to hurry up. They run specials every month. Here is a link to the specials. You have to scroll down and click on the individual specials. The Club at Pennbrooke Fairways
Old 04-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

12 years and have never ever not gotten a t time on the morning or afternoon we wanted to play......busy or slow season didn't matter. Executive or championship.

The less flexible the request the more difficult to match your request.

I have friends who complain and moan about the t time system not being fair....they want, always to have one of the earliest times and usually want a specific course....because that is where they want to play.

That is not what TV had in mind when the implemented the system.

The other variable is someone in the foursome with too many points.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Sage

I thought the plan included 2 executive courses for the new Village south of the turnpike? If so, it would maintain the same ratio of homes to executive courses as we have now: one executive for every 1500 homes. I am not aware of any plans for a new Championship course.

I make tee times for a large group each week and occasionally we will be denied. For the executive courses during snowbird season, if the average points approach 3 you may have a problem getting a tee time for a large group. Outside of snowbird season I have never had a problem. Putting less popular courses in your list will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerhill View Post
We have lived here 10 and have found it increasingly hard to get t times and we are priority. (not snowbirds) I don't think that is right of The Villages to keep purchasing land, both north and south and not add another championship course. First it was Fruitland Park, now 300 Villas upnorth and soon to be 1000 acres south of Brownwood. I don't think it is right to keep squeezing more people onto the courses. One little exec. south of Brownwood won't cut it. Greed at our expense. Just sayin....

Last edited by biker1; 04-22-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

No problem getting a tee time on a Championship Course but we are flexible. However, only play Championship once and occasionally twice a week. Executives twice a week with no problem.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
summerhill: Priority is strongest when all four players are priority.
then it loses its potency with 3 then 2 and lastly if you are the only player with priority of your foursome I question if it really mattered. If you are playing as a single it may alleviate some of this?

A priority guest has priority over a resident which never made sense to me.

So after 6 years of paying priority I gave it up.

Some residents will tell you that the championship courses are public, some will call them semi-private but I always wondered if a non-resident called a week ahead would the course tell them they had to wait to see the tee times list before committing to that request?

While I have played off campus again I wondered why I was traveling when the purpose for me moving here was to get into my cart and head to the village course of my choice.

for sure there is a built up demand for course play and the courses get played hard?

Cst la vie
Old 04-22-2016, 03:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
If they are adding all these additional homes and not putting in another championship course, you are right. That's just not correct. Our group is all priority members, and we were shut out twice this winter, and we all had few points. We had 5 courses on the list, and an afternoon window. But honestly, given the condition of the courses in the Villages last year, we are seriously reconsidering the priority thing, and playing off campus more. We do that now, and like the courses with better conditions.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Default What are points?

I am new to TOTV. What are the points mentioned in a couple of the postings on this thread? My wife and I are coming for an extended "Lifestyle Experience Preview" by renting for the month of May. I enjoy golf; usually play at home two or three times per week. I will have to learn how to get tee times at executive courses and/or championship ones. Any pointers are welcome.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
I am new to TOTV. What are the points mentioned in a couple of the postings on this thread? My wife and I are coming for an extended "Lifestyle Experience Preview" by renting for the month of May. I enjoy golf; usually play at home two or three times per week. I will have to learn how to get tee times at executive courses and/or championship ones. Any pointers are welcome.
This will help you out:
Golf The Villages
http://www.golfthevillages.com/golf-...dGolfGuide.pdf
http://www.golfthevillages.com/golf-...heVillages.pdf
http://www.golfthevillages.com/golf-...GolfSchool.pdf
Enjoy!

Tags
south, courses, brownwood, park, upnorth, villas, acres, greed, expense, sayin, cut, people, fruitland, exec, squeezing, hard, increasingly, times, found, golf, lived, priority, add, championship, north

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.