Not enough golf courses

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2016, 05:06 PM
Platinum member

Bet it will be a while before we hear from the OP again! :-). However, ?I agree. Went in this morning and made tee times for my upcoming guest at the time and course we wanted to play.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerhill View Post
We have lived here 10 and have found it increasingly hard to get t times and we are priority. (not snowbirds) I don't think that is right of The Villages to keep purchasing land, both north and south and not add another championship course. First it was Fruitland Park, now 300 Villas upnorth and soon to be 1000 acres south of Brownwood. I don't think it is right to keep squeezing more people onto the courses. One little exec. south of Brownwood won't cut it. Greed at our expense. Just sayin....
I have a group of 12 golfers. We play every week 2 exec courses and 1 championship. This entire year we have hit our target time within 20 minutes. Never once rejected. You need to learn how to put in a request that has a chance at being successful.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I hope we don't hear someone complain that when they post on TOTV, everyone "jumps" on them. Well this is an issue that I don't agree with the OP and do agree with the posters. RustyP said it very well.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Sage
Default Not enough golf courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I hope we don't hear someone complain that when they post on TOTV, everyone "jumps" on them. Well this is an issue that I don't agree with the OP and do agree with the posters. RustyP said it very well.
When I think of the Del Webb (and other) communities we looked at all over the country - with their single country club courses and one rec center - I now cringe.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Never really had a problem getting two tee times a week or showing up some evening a sliding into a cancelled slot.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:18 AM

Thanks for providing the information. I now understand the point system.

Since my wife and I will have resident ID cards for the month we are there, how does the system handle requests/reservations for a single golfer or a two-some? I imagine we are paired with others to make a foursome. Is it better for a single golfer to wait until 3 days prior and just add himself/herself to an opening if one exists? Or if I don't care where I play or who I am paired with, do I just make a request to play a week prior?
Old 04-23-2016, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
If they are adding all these additional homes and not putting in another championship course, you are right. That's just not correct. Our group is all priority members, and we were shut out twice this winter, and we all had few points. We had 5 courses on the list, and an afternoon window. But honestly, given the condition of the courses in the Villages last year, we are seriously reconsidering the priority thing, and playing off campus more. We do that now, and like the courses with better conditions.

///
Old 04-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

My observation (no statistics to prove it) is there are more active golfers in the newer villages (generally younger and golf more) and they tend to want to play the courses (both executive and championship) closer to their homes. If you live in a newer Village, try a tee time at Glenview, Lopez, Hacienda or Orange Blossom for Championship and Executive do the same.....you get the idea. By doing this, you will stay in the "bubble" and support our courses more often. Just a thought.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
Thanks for providing the information. I now understand the point system.

Since my wife and I will have resident ID cards for the month we are there, how does the system handle requests/reservations for a single golfer or a two-some? I imagine we are paired with others to make a foursome. Is it better for a single golfer to wait until 3 days prior and just add himself/herself to an opening if one exists?...
Yes, wait until 3 days if you're a single or even a twosome. I've lived here for 5 years and have not ever put in for a reservation request. I belong to the teetime system ($8 a month) but I don't play executives, so that eliminates that problem. Free golf during snow bird seasion will make it almost impossible to play any executive without a reservation.

As far as championship 27 hole layouts, which are 9 of the 12 courses, if you're not set on playing a certain course then getting a teetime for a single, twosome or maybe even a foursome can be done 3 days in advance or less.

My first six months here I didn't know any other golfers, I did play with a few neighbors but they either were just taking up golf, or getting back into the game or didn't want to play championship courses. So to experince the championship courses I usually would put in for myself on one of the open teetimes and met a lot of nice people. It will even tell you the sex of other players, so if you believe playing with 2 woman would hurt your game, choose another time.

Finally about six months after I arrived I found a neighbor who liked to play championship and at least twice a week. We simply go to the online teetime system and pick an afternoon starting time. I usually have other things to do in the mornings, so afternoon golf was perfect. Then when May 1st gets here, we get a discounted rate to play after 11am. This year I just noticed it went from $21 to $23 at championship courses after 11am.

During the winter we usually don't pay for 18, those same $21 courses are $52 from Jan 1st to April 30th, they don't offer a discount for afternoon play. Last Wednesday my friend and I went online and chose the first evening teetime, 4:20 was available at Evans Praire. We got there and paid $26 for nine holes and no one was in front of us. As soon as the last group crossed over, the starter let us tee off at 4:05. We finished the front nine on Egret at 5:20 then we crossed over to Killdeer and finished 18 holes at 6:50, it's amazing what a twosome can do when there is no one in front of you. It also makes you wonder why are the prices so high if many aren't willing to play.

I've had a bad back so I have played much this winter, I didn't play in Jan, then played 18 holes on Feb 3rd and hurt my back, I didn't play again until March 23rd at Lopez and shot an 83 from the blue tees. This past Wednesday from the blue tees I shot 87 at EP, I could of been closer or below 80 except the greens had been aerated making them extremely bumpy and very fast since they had not put any sand down.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:25 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Easy to play anywhere.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:59 AM
Veteran member
Default Courses must vary in demand

I am not a golfer, but we live on a championship course. There are days I wonder if anyone is playing the course. I can look down the fairway, and it's more unusual to see golfers than to see it wide open.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
I am not a golfer, but we live on a championship course. There are days I wonder if anyone is playing the course. I can look down the fairway, and it's more unusual to see golfers than to see it wide open.
I was just going to say the same thing. I haven't played down here, but I might try an executive course once in a while. As I drive around it seems that many of the courses are empty. Is it just that people want specific times.

I do have to say that even though I don't play, I was a bit disappointed to learn that "Free Golf For Life" is nine holes on a par three course. But, that's what it is. They must figure that once you hit 55 you're no longer capable of playing a real golf course.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:50 AM

Also, the four courses in the Pine Ridge area at constantly filled from 7 to 6 everyday. The pace of play is painfully slow and the "Ambassadors" don't do anything to enforce The Villages' documented requirement to enforce pace of play as taught in the Good Golf classes. And, they are building another 821 homes in Pine Ridge......The Villages executives should spend one day trying to enjoy a round of golf at a snail's pace.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:34 AM
Platinum member
Smile Amenities

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWinstonOBoogieJr View Post
I was just going to say the same thing. I haven't played down here, but I might try an executive course once in a while. As I drive around it seems that many of the courses are empty. Is it just that people want specific times.

I do have to say that even though I don't play, I was a bit disappointed to learn that "Free Golf For Life" is nine holes on a par three course. But, that's what it is. They must figure that once you hit 55 you're no longer capable of playing a real golf course.
I have a friend who grumps that Free Golf for Life isn't really true because the golfing is paid for in the amenities fee.

My response is that I don't play golf but amenity fees are not reduced for non-golfers, so it all depends on your attitude.

In my more mobile days I did play shuffleboard and bocce ball, as well as availing myself of the swimming pools and attending events in the recreation centers, so I consider you others fortunate that I'm not cluttering up the golf courses.

AND, I think you will find the amenities fees very reasonable when compared to other retirement communities which provide much less for higher fees.

Personally, I think all else pales in view of the fact that you can go anywhere in The Villages via golf cart if you choose.......and are patient. For me, golf cart driving is recreation.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWinstonOBoogieJr View Post

The exec courses have four levels of difficulty. Some have more hazards, challenging terrain, and par 4 holes.
Closed Thread

Tags
south, courses, brownwood, park, upnorth, villas, acres, greed, expense, sayin, cut, people, fruitland, exec, squeezing, hard, increasingly, times, found, golf, lived, priority, add, championship, north

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.