Not legitimate hole-in-one

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2020, 10:37 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Not legitimate hole-in-one

I see all the hole- in- one’s listed in The Daily Sun the past few weeks and wonder seriously you count those under current conditions when they hit the pvc pipe that covers the golf hole. Well, if that makes you feel good, but to me that is not a legitimate hole in one and does not deserve a certificate as such. Personally I’ve seen golf balls hit the hole and bounce a couple feet away. We also found a ball in the hole when we didn’t actually see it roll in because of the hole location to the tee box. Yes, there definitely is some luck involved but as the old saying goes “the harder you work the luckier you get”. Just saying...
Old 04-17-2020, 10:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

It doesn't bother me, let them have their day in the sun. For myself, If it happened to me I wouldn't count it.
Steve
Old 04-17-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I see all the hole- in- one’s listed in The Daily Sun the past few weeks and wonder seriously you count those under current conditions when they hit the pvc pipe that covers the golf hole. Well, if that makes you feel good, but to me that is not a legitimate hole in one and does not deserve a certificate as such. Personally I’ve seen golf balls hit the hole and bounce a couple feet away. We also found a ball in the hole when we didn’t actually see it roll in because of the hole location to the tee box. Yes, there definitely is some luck involved but as the old saying goes “the harder you work the luckier you get”. Just saying...
I had one. I did not count it as one and did not report it. I want to take the ball out of the cup.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

I am going to count it as an eagle.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:55 AM
I think one could determine if it would have been a hole in one without the pvc. If the ball bounces more that 6-10 inches, I would not count that as a HIO, but each should use their own judgement and their honor.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Why report with or without PVC??

Jus luck & "look at me".

Old 04-17-2020, 11:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

The Sun now takes about 1 1/2 pages to list all the "Age Breakers", "Eagles", and "H in 1s". That's now about 1/6 of the actual Sun "news" print.

SO many ads, full pages, and TV real estate. Wonder if they laid off some of their contributors and writers.

Just an observation, will not stop our paper - but miss the old days.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:28 AM
Veteran member
Default The Sun

And no local news section today. No staff, nothing to report, or problems with the inserting machine? They don't say, and I did ask. Sunday, no TV section. Still printing the weekly cars section, though, and the meaningless activities weekly insert.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PompeyKing View Post
I think one could determine if it would have been a hole in one without the pvc...
With all due respect, no way (imo).
Old 04-17-2020, 11:53 AM
Platinum member

Just as legit as claiming a hole-in-one made with a mulligan. I had to man shame a dude at the 19th hole at Ramstein AB for trying to pull that one.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:59 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default No bother

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
It doesn't bother me, let them have their day in the sun. For myself, If it happened to me I wouldn't count it.
Steve
Agree with you Steve - doesn’t bother me but I would not count it as a hole-in-one. When you have played golf for a long time you observe a lot of unusual things. Never seen the “retooling” of the golf course like it is now. It’s great that we can play with the unusual changes and at my age I’m just playing for fun anyway. Fore!
Old 04-17-2020, 01:08 PM
Platinum member

How about this for a scenario? Let's say someone finds the sweet spot on the driver on a short par four starting hole. The ball takes a beautiful drawing path, lands just short of the green and rolls onto the putting surface and into the cup. It is then pointed out to the happy golfer after he has finished leaping and shouting, that he has 15 clubs in the bag and has incurred a two-stroke penalty.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
That's what happens when you waste your time playing Rinky Dink Golf!
Old 04-17-2020, 01:26 PM
Platinum member

What if it actually goes inside the pvc? I would count that. In the hole is in the hole!
Old 04-17-2020, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
How about this for a scenario? Let's say someone finds the sweet spot on the driver on a short par four starting hole. The ball takes a beautiful drawing path, lands just short of the green and rolls onto the putting surface and into the cup. It is then pointed out to the happy golfer after he has finished leaping and shouting, that he has 15 clubs in the bag and has incurred a two-stroke penalty.
Too bad, it's just a birdie. But, if he only had 14 clubs, he may not have used that club, and would not have made the same shot. Hence, the reason for the rule.
Closed Thread

Tags
hole, legitimate, golf, hit, location

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.