Orlando Sentinel Article on Course Closings

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Sage
Default Orlando Sentinel Article on Course Closings

Interesting article from the Orlando Sentinel about course closings in central Florida. A lot of them associated with housing developments. Good to know that is unlikely here.

perfect storm Florida golf courses - Orlando Sentinel
Old 11-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Fewer golfers, higher labor and maintenance cost all doing a number on the need for the current number of golf courses. This pretty much the case across the country.

Could it happen here in The Villages? Not in the short run but perhaps in the future as TV's population ages and we have fewer golfers.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Fewer golfers, higher labor and maintenance cost all doing a number on the need for the current number of golf courses. This pretty much the case across the country.

Could it happen here in The Villages? Not in the short run but perhaps in the future as TV's population ages and we have fewer golfers.
It is possible, but highly unlikely. As the older population dies off, moves away or goes into assisted living, there are always going to be enough 55+ people to take their place and continue to support the courses we have. Our "new" home backs up to Southern Star and with me a dinged wing and not able to play, I spend a lot of time on the lanai watching golfers; from the time the 1st group rolls by on the 4th hole, there is a steady stream of foursomes the rest of the day.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Where we used to live, many courses closed because real estate developers bought them and had plans to build subdivisions, or neighborhoods. With the real estate bubble being burst circa 2009, some succeeded, some didnt. Many to this day sit empty, weed saturated, and pretty much an eyesore. Do I think this can happen here? Maybe, but highly unlikely. Like it was stated, there should always be a flow of new blood moving here to The Villages, providing funding for the VCDD, and supporting local developer owned country clubs. By the way, we moved here from Myrtle Beach, SC.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Sage

We lived on a TPC course in Charlotte before moving here. Right after we moved it went into bankruptcy.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I don't doubt that we will see a flow of younger Villagers over the years. The question is if they will be the avid golfers that we have now. I hope so.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Veteran member

Thanks for the heads up!

I would extend the general concern to any property in common where the costs are high to maintain it over time. It could be any expensive bit of infrastructure as it ages and/or becomes less popular!

Here are some resources about CDDs.. It looks like it contains a list of some that are struggling or in default.

THE COLLAPSE IN FLORIDA DIRT BONDS

Florida Community Development Districts

Florida Special District Accountability Program - FloridaJobs.org
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.