Picking up broken tees

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadie View Post
The ambassadors pick up broken tees for the same reason they pick up any trash they find on the course. When was the last time you saw any litter on a golf course, or for that matter anywhere in The Villages. It happens, just doesn't stay on the ground for long.
Get it - just don't consider it trash - move them to the side and pick them up later in the day. I play a lot of golf and I don't think the courses that leave them there (in the collection jars) are trashy places (far from it actually).
Old 09-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Sage

I pick up my broken tees just like I pick up my intact ones. It takes no more effort to pick up a broken one than an intact one!!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 AM

When I first got to the villages I asked the ambassador why they were picking up broken tees. I said up north they leave them as other golfers reuse them. He politely told me he had a whole bunch in the back of his cart and to help myself. Now I try not to use tees on par threes and hit the ball from the turf. Saves a lot of bending over. I guess one could say I'm not only cheep but lazy too. By the way why does almost every post goes to dog poop.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow1 View Post
When I first got to the villages I asked the ambassador why they were picking up broken tees. I said up north they leave them as other golfers reuse them. He politely told me he had a whole bunch in the back of his cart and to help myself. Now I try not to use tees on par threes and hit the ball from the turf. Saves a lot of bending over. I guess one could say I'm not only cheep but lazy too. By the way why does almost every post goes to dog poop.
As long as you fill in the divots, you can hit the ball from the turf. It is really frustrating to get to the tee box and not be able to find a place to tee off from with all of the holes in the ground from people not filling in the divots.

For Russ, if you want to use broken tees, why don't you police the tee boxes and put all of the broken tees in a bag and carry them around with you. Then you will always have one to tee off with.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
As long as you fill in the divots, you can hit the ball from the turf. It is really frustrating to get to the tee box and not be able to find a place to tee off from with all of the holes in the ground from people not filling in the divots.

For Russ, if you want to use broken tees, why don't you police the tee boxes and put all of the broken tees in a bag and carry them around with you. Then you will always have one to tee off with.

Z
I try - sometimes I can't even find one! Believe me I try to keep the tee neat. Just goes against my nature to waste. In fact I have used my plastic tee for over 1 year on all drives (with my driver) on championship courses.

As far as replacing divots go - anyone who DOESN'T deserves at least a strong warning. Actually my only gripe with the ambassadors is that it seems like they are told to do things like pick up broken tees (and I see them do it all time) but I wonder how many times they watch for unfilled divots? Or why, when I play first tee time in the morning, do I see unrepaired ball marks, and sometimes many, on the greens? If I were an ambassador I'd rather spend my time doing these repairs as it means a lot more to the golf course than picking up tees every 1/2 hour.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Email Reported As Spam

While I respect every person's pet peaves. A concern surrounds broken tee clean up escapes me?

I have a concern that not a sufficient number of golfers repair their divots. I have a concern regarding the number of players that are unfamiliar with golf etiquette and I have a concern with the pace of play. but never in my short golf life had I a concern about broken tees being cleaned up on a regular schedule
Old 09-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Deanna View Post
I would think that golfers would pick up their own broken tees when they are able. Just good common sense and being neat....but that's just me.
Same as a smoker picking up their butts
Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
While I respect every person's pet peaves. A concern surrounds broken tee clean up escapes me?

I have a concern that not a sufficient number of golfers repair their divots. I have a concern regarding the number of players that are unfamiliar with golf etiquette and I have a concern with the pace of play. but never in my short golf life had I a concern about broken tees being cleaned up on a regular schedule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Get it - just don't consider it trash - move them to the side and pick them up later in the day. I play a lot of golf and I don't think the courses that leave them there (in the collection jars) are trashy places (far from it actually).
I must admit in all my years chasing the little white ball I have never picked up a broken tee like it is litter. Does any golfer really do that? I only responded at all because I wondered the same thing Russ posted when I started playing here.

I do understand why courses do this (i guess...), but I also think they could find a way to leave a few off to the side by the sandbox or tee marker as many courses do.

I quoted two posts because they match exactly how I think on this subject. There may be more....
Old 09-15-2013, 04:29 AM
Gold member
Default For the Ambassadors it's not a "concern"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

it's simply a matter of picking them up...as is putting sand in divots...offering sand to those who may have run out...hoping you're having a good time...well you see the way this goes...we just do it because we hope it makes things more pleasant. Some think it's a good idea(moi :-)and some don't(doesn't make it a 'concern' :-).
Old 09-15-2013, 04:38 AM
Gold member
Default There is a story about The Masters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I must admit in all my years chasing the little white ball I have never picked up a broken tee like it is litter. Does any golfer really do that? I only responded at all because I wondered the same thing Russ posted when I started playing here.

I do understand why courses do this (i guess...), but I also think they could find a way to leave a few off to the side by the sandbox or tee marker as many courses do.

I quoted two posts because they match exactly how I think on this subject. There may be more....
about a player who teed off during a practice round and left the broken tee in the ground....a member in a green jacket was nearby and noticed this...the member went up to the professional golfer and told them that tees were not left in the teeing ground as it was unsightly...the player then removed the tee .

It's a matter of what one considers trash in this case....some folks can have a yard full of stuff and they view it as their stuff...others may feel it looks like a dump....some folks don't mind a yard full of weeds...others may not prefer an uncut and weed filled lawn. It really doesn't matter what everyone thinks in this case....since I've played the game(more than 45 years)I've usually picked up my tee because it was considerate and removed the litter. If everyone left their tee there you'd notice after thousands of rounds. Yes the mower will pick up most of them, but the blades would dull faster(wood vs. grass).

As for leaving a few on the tee box so some golfers can use them...then they'll just have to be picked up again. I know the reason some golfers use broken tees on par 3's...it's so they won't have to use a whole tee...it's not that they are cheap...it's because they find it wasteful and it'd be fine if you could get everyone to pick up their tees(broken or not), but since they don't....we do. :-)
Old 09-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Gold member

Maybe because if you look for your broken tees, your slowing up play?? LOL I think the Ambassadors do a great job in cleaning up tees on tee boxes. Some of the tee's today are made of plastic, and will not disintegrate like wooden tees, so that could cause a problem too. For driving, I use those cocktail tee's, so I have to find it each time to use it again. Had same one for 3 years now. I use broken tee's on par 3's. Instead of a box for tee's on tee box, I rather see a sand box on par 3's, so everyone will remember to fix divot!! All in all, I don't see a big problem
Old 09-15-2013, 06:37 AM
Email Reported As Spam

A poster referenced the Master's and a player being admonished concerning a broken tee still in the ground (not on the ground)

First were talking about professional play where pace of play takes on a whole different meaning than those playing on the executive courses here.

Secondly the tee was in the ground and was viewed more as a distraction than trash.

Pace of play is a big issue in the golf world today because it is one of the reasons people stop playing golf (take too long to play) So the USGA, etc are encouraging people to play faster. If I pick up or continually look for my tee, If I waggle my club too often or stand over my ball too long, if I look for my priceless ball forever and then add to that proper etiquette in filling in and repair my divots are not my actions defeating the goal of faster play?

I am a neatness nut and appreciate a clean tee box as well as anyone but these are competing goals. I prefer faster play and I prefer that an ambassador encourage faster play over picking up tees.

Now that I think about it faster play is non-existent on the executive courses so while I am waiting on the tee box for ten minutes I can both pick up tees, fill in divots and perhaps if they allow me mow the darn thing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.