Poor condition of TV golf course greens

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdticket View Post
Not true!
Please provide your source because what I posted is what I have been told by district personnel and GMS personnel.

From the District website:

The Executive Golf Trail consists of over 30 courses and growing every year. While the Country Clubs are owned and operated by the developer of The Villages, the Executive Golf Trail courses are owned and operated by the Village Center Community Development District and the Sumter Landing Community Development District.

I recently had a discussion with Eric VanGorder, Director of Executive Golf Maintenance, that involved his role with the courses south of 466. He informed me that he has a cooperative relationship with GMS regarding maintenance, but they have primary responsibility for the courses until the developer transfers them to the district. That should occur when the IRS question is resolved and bonds can be issued by the central districts to purchase the amenities.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdticket View Post
Not true!
What is not true? Please explain
Old 07-20-2014, 10:28 PM

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY concur! I moved here, within the last 12 months, from southern Michigan. Last I knew there were over 20 public courses in the county I resided in. I played most of them, some frequently. NONE of them were in as poor condition as ALL the course in the Villages - championship or executive. Even the worst courses, the ones we avoided unless we had to, had grass on the greens and you got a true roll on a putt. Some fairway and tees could be choppy, but even those are better than NO grass! I can't figure out why any of us pay to play the championship courses, in their current condition (but I still do it)......
Old 07-20-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
and it would be a nice bonus where you get your information. Having worked on courses since the early 70's(private and public)the speed of greens has no bearing on how good they are....neither do fringe, fairway or rough length....those are "basics" made up by watching and listening to television telecasts of professional golf.

Please don't ever visit the wonderful local courses overseas....you'd think you were robbed blind...myself? I loved the variation and talent it takes to adapt.
I'd love to putt on greens that stimped at 5. That would mean they actually had grass on them!!! You are missing the point, we want grass on 100% of the greens and fairways. After that we can figure out how short they should be mowed. I think a whole lot higher than they mow them today, since they are so short that the ball simply sits on dirt!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
but it all boils down to how good YOU are.
You are missing the point. We expect "some" value for what we pay for. We pay for the executive courses (whether you play them or not) and we pay more when we golf on the championship courses. Are we wrong to expect grass to actually be cultivated on them?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:53 AM
Gold member

post reviews on public media ......posting your views on tv does nothing .... calling management does nothing start giving the views on public websites so the public will be aware of the poor golf course conditions at the villages.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
post reviews on public media ......posting your views on tv does nothing .... calling management does nothing start giving the views on public websites so the public will be aware of the poor golf course conditions at the villages.
Just read that the courses are much better.

Championship & exec greens in TV?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.