Proper Golf Attire in Question

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2022, 04:53 PM

One of my life's most embarrassing moments... I arrived at Lopez GC, checking in, when this nasty female employee behind the counter shouts out..... You can't play in that shirt. I was wearing a white cotton, modest V-neck shirt with short sleeves. it had 3 pleats down the back and a drawstring blouson type waist. She kept insisting it was made out of t-shirt material...... yes, plain white cotton ????? This woman would not let up against all the other employees trying to tell her it was OK. Even had to bring the manager out to approve the shirt. I was never so embarrassed and it sure ruined what could have been a fun day on the course. Some people just have to try to exert their authority.... I will never forget her..... lol.... should name her...
Old 11-26-2022, 06:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
In my opinion, how one dresses is only one very small way of showing respect for the game.

I would much rather golf with people dressed like bums who respect the game by their actions on the course than play with people more concerned with fashion than being a respectful golfer. And in this modern world of equality, what’s up with the unequal relaxed dress code for women? On a hot and humid 100 degree day I wouldn’t mind playing with a lightweight collarless and sleeveless shirt like many women do!
The rules are changing most everywhere, other than The Villages. I've played Farm Neck on Martha's Vineyard in jeans, numerous times ... didn't matter if Bill Clinton or Barack Obama was playing that day ... they could wear 'em too.

Clubs all over the country are eliminating "dress codes" for golfing, particularly at many expensive clubs. A guy drops $100,000 on an Initiation Few & $15,000/year to play and someone is going to tell him how to dress? I don't think so.

You don't agree? Look at how Corporate American has changed over the last 15 years ... you can hardly find anyone who wears a suit and tie to work or anywhere else.

It's the 21st Century, stop being mired in the past and get on the program. As the poster I quoted said, it's more important how you behave on the golf course, than what you're wearing.

As for the guy in the Henley, good for him for standing up for himself ... same for the guy in Carhartt shirt.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,090 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
The rules are changing most everywhere, other than The Villages. I've played Farm Neck on Martha's Vineyard in jeans, numerous times.
One of my favorite courses, great views of the ocean, marshes, and the salt water pond where the classic scene from Jaws was filmed where the shark swam under the bridge between the ocean and the pond. Did many back flips off that bridge at keg parties during the summers I spent on the Vineyard in my college years.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:00 PM
Veteran member

The dumbest thing is a collar shirt on Palmer driving range. I've been confronted 3 times wearing a nice dri fit shirt about it not having a collar in 95 degree weather. Pathetic.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,090 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
It also used to be that blue jeans were not allowed on the course. But apparently that rule has been thrown out the window. Outside courses say "No denim or tank tops". But in The Villages you can come from the corn harvest right to the golf course. (Yes, I'm from Iowa.)
The late Gary Morse preferred wearing denim blue jeans golfing. Since he owned the courses in the Villages, he made the rules. His children have carried on the tradition.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Cruise ships have rules regarding dress, particularly at dinner in the main dining room. On formal nights (maybe three on a voyage) accepted dress is tux or suit for men, formal dress or pantsuit for women. Other, nonformal nights; dress slacks and collared and cuffed shirt for men, likewise one step down from formal night for women (I think the term is "smart casual"). There are always a few "smart casual" dressers on formal nights, and I don't think anything is said, but it is totally offputting when a few jokers insist on attending formal night dining in cutoffs, t-shirts and sandals, or some other like attire. We all knew, or should have known, the dress code rules before ever setting foot on deck. Cruise lines don't keep them a secret.

There are always a few skunks whose idea of fun is disrupting a picnic.

Those golf course dress codes are here for a reason, and nowhere is it written that we have to understand or agree with those reasons before we abide by the dress codes. We knew them before we hit our first ball.

Don't be a skunk.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimschlaefer View Post
I know there's a quick, easy, brute force solution to this dilemma, but I've gotta start this thread anyway. Not too long ago, proper attire for a golf outing included, for men at least, a collared shirt. Then Tiger Woods came along wearing a Henley collared shirt and the PGA decided, "if it's good enough for Tiger, it's good enough for all". Well, The Villages Golf organization decided to go along with that PGA position and changed their requirements for men's shirts to include Henley collared shirts. They even updated their 'Proper Attire' poster to include a blue Henley example. Then the dilemma came about when going to Executive Courses (haven't tried this on the Champion Courses yet) at tee time while wearing a Henley collared shirt and being told it was not proper attire. Even when the poster showed a Henley on it. Now this isn't ALL Executive Courses, but seems to follow specific individual starters more than anything. It's tough showing up at a specific course where you have played in a Henley before and have a different starter tell you, you're under-dressed and can't tee off. How can we get everyone on the same page?? Apparently not all starters either know the rules or have decided to interpret them as they see fit. One starter told me I was wearing a Henley, but the collar wasn't high enough so he considered it a tee-shirt.

And before anyone suggests the easy fix "wear a collared shirt and the dilemma doesn't exist", I get that. This is about seeking some consistency. That's all.
There is a dress code for golf? Who gives a F what anyone wears.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
The whole issue is that The Villages does not want you looking like a bum when you play golf. This has always been an issue throughout the USA. Golf is considered a Gentleman’s ( or Ladies) game. Nearly all golf courses throughout the World have a dress code. You don’t like it, take up mud wrestling. Realize most golfers go in clubhouse after golf for the famous 19th hole. They should be dressed appropriately.
Ahh the trauma of seeing someone wearing a T shirt in the clubhouse. Do all old people get weird as they age? I will dress any Fing way I choose and some crazy old guy will not dictate how that is.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:22 AM

Even practice putting at championship golf, it's always been collared golf shirts allowed only. Or just put on a jacket or sweatshirt since it's getting cold out.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
Ahh the trauma of seeing someone wearing a T shirt in the clubhouse. Do all old people get weird as they age? I will dress any Fing way I choose and some crazy old guy will not dictate how that is.
Nobody plays on Villages golf courses without a Villages ID card, and that number is entered into the system every time the card-bearer plays. Flouting the rules with impunity can and sometimes does lead to suspension.

My advice to any newbie planning on flouting the rules here is...don't. A bad reputation in TV is NOT a good thing to have.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
If by "clubhouse" you mean the restaurant, I don't think there is any dress code. T-shirts are very common in the bars and restaurants.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Nobody plays on Villages golf courses without a Villages ID card, and that number is entered into the system every time the card-bearer plays. Flouting the rules with impunity can and sometimes does lead to suspension.

My advice to any newbie planning on flouting the rules here is...don't. A bad reputation in TV is NOT a good thing to have.
Good advice.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:34 PM
Veteran member

Women don't have to wear a collar or sleeves so next time I'm just going to identify as a woman.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:03 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts
Default Craziest system you will ever find

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimschlaefer View Post
I know there's a quick, easy, brute force solution to this dilemma, but I've gotta start this thread anyway. Not too long ago, proper attire for a golf outing included, for men at least, a collared shirt. Then Tiger Woods came along wearing a Henley collared shirt and the PGA decided, "if it's good enough for Tiger, it's good enough for all". Well, The Villages Golf organization decided to go along with that PGA position and changed their requirements for men's shirts to include Henley collared shirts. They even updated their 'Proper Attire' poster to include a blue Henley example. Then the dilemma came about when going to Executive Courses (haven't tried this on the Champion Courses yet) at tee time while wearing a Henley collared shirt and being told it was not proper attire. Even when the poster showed a Henley on it. Now this isn't ALL Executive Courses, but seems to follow specific individual starters more than anything. It's tough showing up at a specific course where you have played in a Henley before and have a different starter tell you, you're under-dressed and can't tee off. How can we get everyone on the same page?? Apparently not all starters either know the rules or have decided to interpret them as they see fit. One starter told me I was wearing a Henley, but the collar wasn't high enough so he considered it a tee-shirt.

And before anyone suggests the easy fix "wear a collared shirt and the dilemma doesn't exist", I get that. This is about seeking some consistency. That's all.
Don't know if you've been here long enough to find out this is the craziest place you can find in regard to the subject of "rules", attire and others. I LONG ago came to the conclusion that the rules can even change day to day at the SAME course. It makes your head spin. I had a starter once ORDER me into a cart with a man actively smoking a cigar. Not wanting to insult the man, I just quietly told the starter I'd take my own cart. He began a LOUD argument with me, to the point the man with the cigar could hear. I kept saying no, no, I'll just take my own cart. He said "that is NOT allowed, do you want to play or not ?" I said no, I would just go home then. Actually I went directly to the golf office, I had to wait a long time, had to tell two people exactly what it was I wanted to discuss. I replied I'd rather wait until I could talk to someone privately, but no, could not see anyone unless they know the topic. So I told two different reception people. Finally got to see someone, but the summary was (and you can guess this one): "we'll look into it". Nothing about REGULAR INCONSISTENCY for YEARS here. Also once had a starter tell me that my top had LESS than the required 2 inches width on each side of shoulder strap. Actually it was nearly TWICE that, but I was on the 4th hole when a marshal came up in a cart and said " I hear you had quiet a dust up with ____ back in the starter shack". I was so startled I was nearly speechless... a "dust up" I said, with "who ?". The only thing that had been said to me when I checked in was: "are you going to change before your starting time ?" I was confused because I'd worn the same top from N. L. pro shop many times at other courses. I said, "no, I just dressed at home, I didn't bring additional clothes with me." She said, " welllllll, I could let you go THIS TIME, but you need to dress properly from now on". I was not that surprised because we've been here for so many years now that we know that even the same course does not have the same rules. I thought that was it, but then this "ambassador" came on hole #4 with this "dust up" talk as if I had objected and not offered to go home and change. He seemed a bit embarrassed, and but he got a PAPER measuring ruler (like they give away at various displays and have advertising on them). He said he needed to "measure" the shoulders of my scoop neck shirt... and in his other hand he had a paper with the "rules" of proper dress and handed it to me. I told him to hand ME the ruler, I would do the measuring and told him politely and calmly that I was not comfortable with him doing the measuring. He was polite and said no problem. I measured both straps, left and right, they were each just short of 4" in width. He nodded, and left, but it really ruined the round and that was my fault because I kept thinking how inappropriate of a male being sent out to "measure" a female's clothing and to hand them a copy of "rules" that had never been the rules in the previous 5 YEARS ! It was "over 2" for women when we first built here, the idea was (and I agree) to keep tank tops off the courses. But then you see men with no shirts on at times, you see men whose shirts do not even do a fair job of covering their stomach ! ? I would never complain about that, or if someone had on very short shorts, I prefer proper attire as that was what we were used to, but I'd never make it my job to be the rules police on proper attire, or lack of it. My only point is the inconsistency here has been carried to a level I don't even think about any more, it's just the way it is here...life is short, not going to worry about it, I just expect it. Also once had an interesting experience at Saddle brook many years ago. Man checking in was outside the starter shack "checking" people in (?) while smoking a cigarette (?). I couldn't figure this out since the computer was inside the shack. He took my card, checked off my name/time on a clip board, and we were off next. But, honestly it was not ideal since he had no problem blowing smoke right on those of us checking in, but again, if I or any one complained, I am sure we'd be looked at as ridiculous since this all happened outside in the open air....but again, it's just the inconsistency. One day the starters can smoke, next day they can inside, another place they can smoke but must stand outside, it's just so crazy and hasn't changed in the last 15 years... fortunately it's not a weekly or even monthly thing. It's clearly a lack of a proper training program... we're probably lucky they can even get enough people for those jobs, so I say, don't fight it (like I did once when I reported it), it's Florida, if you don't like today's rules, it's like tomorrow, it'll change tomorrow, LOL ! Just can't resist one more example, N.L. pool, the routine is you check in with the pool monitor, walk in, sits at table, and one day this past summer, no one at table, fine, went over to empty lounge and put my things down, started reading my book. Forgot reading sunglasses, went back out to cart to get them. Walked back in, still no monitor at table, and I just headed to my lounge where my things were. WOMAN came RUNNING behind me, stop stop, I need your CARD she says. That was fine with me, but was confused about where she came from, monitor has always been at a table. So I tell her I have to go to my lounge in get my card out of my swim bag. I come back and reach out my hand to give it to her and she really snaps at me telling me to PUT IT DOWN ON THE TABLE, not to hand it to her and she pulled her hand back so quickly my card dropped on the ground. She told me to pick it up and put it ON the table because she did not touch cards "due to Covid" ! ! This was way past the time there was anyone who didn't know this was not passed on hard surfaces, but I again said nothing. When I left the pool that day I realized she worked differently than any other monitor I've encountered at any of the country clubs. They all sit at some kind of table near the entrance. As I left I finally saw this woman sits in her AUTOMOBILE, with the AC running, and then runs AFTER people as she sees them going into the pool. She must have been looking at her cell phone when I entered so she missed me until I went back out to get my glasses ! Again.... LOL... different rules for every employee for every location... LOL !
Old 12-03-2022, 02:24 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Good advice.
I don't disagree at all, but I think this discussion actually focused on the INCONSISTENCY of the "rules", that part just stuns me even after all these years, I actually was used to MUCH stricter rules of golf attire, but at least the rules, whatever they be, Henley or not for men or for women, 4" shoulders on a woman's scoop neck top, but NO tank tops, all fine, I was used to a club where women's top must have sleeves, so in the hot weather I welcomed a sleeveless top with a high scoop neck. But the inconsistency here is really confusing. One course says you do NOT have to ride with smokers, another says you DO, two carts only and if person you are told to ride with smokes, it's just your bad luck. Yet here comes along old "Covid", and I see SIX people (we always called that a "gangsome" not a "foursome") playing Pimlico EACH in a cart ! Six carts on #2, one person in each cart ???? To enjoy life, you just have to laugh and not even try to figure it out.... LOL ! Like driving RIGHT ON THE GREEN HERE, not "near it", but ON it. First time I saw that stunned me, not any more. Now that I've watched people at least once a week, standing at the lowest part of a sand trap, and then instead of exiting at the lowest point, they CLIMB OUT AT THE HIGHEST POINT....and down tumbles the lip of the trap.... go figure ?

Last edited by Pairadocs; 12-03-2022 at 02:28 AM. Reason: punctuation
Closed Thread

Tags
henley, collared, shirt, proper, attire

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.