Proper Golf Attire in Question

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2022, 04:23 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,784 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Assuming you are correct, why do they have a 1/4 inch rule for turtlenecks? If a shirt had a 1/4 inch collar, it would not be a turtleneck. There is nothing stated in the rule that the 1/4 inch rule applies to turtlenecks.
Come on, you are a smarter guy/girl than that.
You know the information in brackets relate to the prior statement...........if not, I've over estimated you.

The "(Min. 1/4 inch collars.)" is jus additional information.

You know a tee shirt is not appropriate so there is no reason to state: "it seems to me that a tee shirt with a 3/4 inch collar is acceptable"
Old 11-03-2022, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,372 Times in 2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimschlaefer View Post
I know there's a quick, easy, brute force solution to this dilemma, but I've gotta start this thread anyway. Not too long ago, proper attire for a golf outing included, for men at least, a collared shirt. Then Tiger Woods came along wearing a Henley collared shirt and the PGA decided, "if it's good enough for Tiger, it's good enough for all". Well, The Villages Golf organization decided to go along with that PGA position and changed their requirements for men's shirts to include Henley collared shirts. They even updated their 'Proper Attire' poster to include a blue Henley example. Then the dilemma came about when going to Executive Courses (haven't tried this on the Champion Courses yet) at tee time while wearing a Henley collared shirt and being told it was not proper attire. Even when the poster showed a Henley on it. Now this isn't ALL Executive Courses, but seems to follow specific individual starters more than anything. It's tough showing up at a specific course where you have played in a Henley before and have a different starter tell you, you're under-dressed and can't tee off. How can we get everyone on the same page?? Apparently not all starters either know the rules or have decided to interpret them as they see fit. One starter told me I was wearing a Henley, but the collar wasn't high enough so he considered it a tee-shirt.

And before anyone suggests the easy fix "wear a collared shirt and the dilemma doesn't exist", I get that. This is about seeking some consistency. That's all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Not going to find it here....................need to call appropriate parties.

The Villages Golf and Country Club Administration
1024 Canal Street
The Villages, FL 32162
Phone: 352-753-3396
Old 11-03-2022, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,751 Times in 5,257 Posts

Quote:
Come on, you are a smarter guy/girl than that.
You know the information in brackets relate to the prior statement...........if not, I've over estimated you.

The "(Min. 1/4 inch collars.)" is jus additional information.

You know a tee shirt is not appropriate so there is no reason to state: "it seems to me that a tee shirt with a 3/4 inch collar is acceptable"
LOL. Obviously the rule is defective. But, I see no reason why a man cannot wear a tee shirt on the golf course. And, according the official written rule, you can. If they don't want you to wear a tee shirt, why don't they say it? Turtlenecks, by definition, have wider collars than tee shirts, and most tee shirts have a wider collar than 1/4 inch. So, almost any shirt will comply with The Villages rule. The rule has 3 sentences. How can you proclaim that the verbage in brackets only applies to the second sentence, especially since it makes no sense with respect to turtlenecks? If they published a silly rule, they need to live by it. Why defend it? If Dan Newlin argued this rule in court, he would blow The Villages away.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,782 Times in 1,387 Posts

Old 11-03-2022, 05:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Agree

Really trying hard to make something out of nothing.

Now I'm hungry for popcorn.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Agree

Really trying hard to make something out of nothing.

Now I'm hungry for popcorn.
I agree. But, that is what the thread is about. Staying on topic.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
LOL. Obviously the rule is defective. But, I see no reason why a man cannot wear a tee shirt on the golf course. And, according the official written rule, you can. If they don't want you to wear a tee shirt, why don't they say it? Turtlenecks, by definition, have wider collars than tee shirts, and most tee shirts have a wider collar than 1/4 inch. So, almost any shirt will comply with The Villages rule. The rule has 3 sentences. How can you proclaim that the verbage in brackets only applies to the second sentence, especially since it makes no sense with respect to turtlenecks? If they published a silly rule, they need to live by it. Why defend it? If Dan Newlin argued this rule in court, he would blow The Villages away.

…..,

Last edited by John Mayes; 11-03-2022 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Forgot link
Old 11-03-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
https://www.golfthevillages.com/golf...dgolfguide.pdf

Page 15
Old 11-03-2022, 05:36 PM

Ask for a manager. You were correct
Old 11-03-2022, 05:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,615 Times in 946 Posts

If you google Henley collars tiger woods, Nike makes some very nice golf shirts with a Henley collar.
The problem is, people interpret that it means ANY henley….. Calgary makes a Henley shirt, its not for golf
Old 11-03-2022, 05:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
The problem is that The Villages has different rules for the same thing on the same website. They need consistency. Maybe that is why the employees are confused. This is a dress code from the same districtgov.org website:

"Dress Code for Men
Shirts shall have a collar and sleeves. Turtle-necks or mock turtle-necks are acceptable. (Min. 1/4 inch collars.)"

If you look hard enough, you may find another dress code. Call me crazy, but I think there should only be one dress code.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-03-2022 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
The problem is that The Villages has different rules for the same thing on the same website. They need consistency. Maybe that is why the employees are confused. This is a dress code from the same districtgov.org website:

Dress Code for Men
Shirts shall have a collar and sleeves. Turtle-necks or mock turtle-necks are acceptable. (Min. 1/4 inch collars.)

If you look hard enough, you may find another dress code.
Not arguing that the website can seem to be inconsistent and it really needs to be updated. That aside, all golf employees are required to attend Good Golf School and proper dress code is part of the class. Individual interpretation of starters and pro shop employees, unfortunately, creeps in and adds to the confusion.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Lots of time and energy wrangling over 1/4 inch.

Here's an idea. Wear a shirt with an actual COLLAR the next time out.

Failing that, my understanding is that the shacks have shirts with collars available for the round for the guy who inadvertently (or intentionally) wore a shirt close to the line. They'll probably offer one to you if you're a nice guy about it rather than attempting to argue the point.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,098 Times in 2,753 Posts

I enjoy wearing the button down collarless golf shirts that are approved as acceptable golf attire by the Villages. In fact, I invested in four very comfortable light weight shirts that are now my go to’s. Apparently some of the employees aren’t aware of the approved dress code as I have been questioned a couple times about my shirt. Easy solution, I took a picture of the approved shirts at Palmer. Last time I was questioned, I showed the employee the attached picture and told him if he still had a problem with my shirt could he please call over the club pro. End of discussion, he suddenly agreed my shirt was acceptable.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	12C56B51-9A47-4A48-BD45-ABD010146BDC.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	95673  
Old 11-03-2022, 06:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I enjoy wearing the button down collarless golf shirts that are approved as acceptable golf attire by the Villages. .
You fashion model you.

Tags
henley, collared, shirt, proper, attire

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.