R.I.P., Villages Golf Festival

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2023, 08:59 AM
Default Oxford Golf Academy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Sorry to see that the Villages Golf Festival is once again not being held at the Polo Grounds, with all the vendors, entertainment and clubmakers all in one place. IMO, having basic fitting stations at the various country clubs is nothing as interesting as the original festival concept. Reduced to a "non event" for me. What do you think?
I just saw that Oxford Golf Academy is having free fittings this Wednesday if you call ahead and make an appointment.

They are really nice over there and have really nice power tee's for the same price as the grass driving range.

Here is a copy from their Facebook page. Oxford Golf Academy | Facebook

This Wednesday, Feb 8th.
From 1-5 PM, we have our CLEVELAND / SRIXON DEMO DAY!

Up To 40% OFF Cleveland Clubs!

FREE Fitting by Appointment. Call 352-446-4456

Best Prices in town GUARANTEED!

We Are Golf Cart Accessible "Behind Walmart on 466"

4250 CR 105
Oxford, Florida 34484
352-446-4456
Old 02-05-2023, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

The real estate taxes for ALL Sumter County property owners were increased substantially to pay for the expanding infrastructure in the south end of The Villages. I’d guess people living in the northern end of TV would be very, very happy to agree not to drive 30-45 minutes thru heavy seasonal traffic to stand and listen to a band in an overcrowded “square” in the south end of The Villages in exchange for a rebate of those increased taxes!
Old 02-05-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
The real estate taxes for ALL Sumter County property owners were increased substantially to pay for the expanding infrastructure in the south end of The Villages. I’d guess people living in the northern end of TV would be very, very happy to agree not to drive 30-45 minutes thru heavy seasonal traffic to stand and listen to a band in an overcrowded “square” in the south end of The Villages in exchange for a rebate of those increased taxes!
Does your post somehow relate to the Golf Festival?
Old 02-05-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Sorry to see that the Villages Golf Festival is once again not being held at the Polo Grounds, with all the vendors, entertainment and clubmakers all in one place. IMO, having basic fitting stations at the various country clubs is nothing as interesting as the original festival concept. Reduced to a "non event" for me. What do you think?
I never got to one of the Villages Golf Festivals, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I agree. What's the difference between a regular club fitting day at a CC and a GOLF FEST fitting day at a CC? Plus I miss the games and the freebies!
Old 02-05-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I agree. What's the difference between a regular club fitting day at a CC and a GOLF FEST fitting day at a CC? Plus I miss the games and the freebies!
You didn't pay for fittings at the festival.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Villages has a track record of canceling amenities events and like Katie Bells , Movie theaters Country Club restaurants and pools
In the name of greed
Their forgetting what drew people here to The Villages in the beginning .
Bait and switch
Old 02-05-2023, 11:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,611 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
You didn't pay for fittings at the festival.
I thought the payment for the fitting was to hold the time slot, but if you bought anything, you got the payment back as a credit, at least that was my expereince.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Villages has a track record of canceling amenities events and like Katie Bells , Movie theaters Country Club restaurants and pools
In the name of greed
Or they got cancelled because those items did not make money.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

The small charge to attend the event was well worth it. Spend a day walking around, hearing the speakers and watching the live trick shot demonstrations, and testing out new equipment from many manufacturers. All in one place. If you didn't get to go, you don't know what you've missed. Probably cheaper to run these little country club sales and call them a "festival".
Old 02-05-2023, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Are they having "Golf Fest" fitting days at the country clubs?

I know they have occasional "brand specific" days spread out through the year, but not a "Golf Fest"...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-05-2023, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
In the name of greed
Their forgetting what drew people here to The Villages in the beginning .
Bait and switch
How is not having Golf Fest "greed"?

The golf companies and vendors pay to be there...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-05-2023, 05:56 PM
Default Trying out clubs vs. getting fitted for clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
I miss it. I enjoyed trying out several sets of clubs at the same time in order to decide which ones I wanted to buy.
Let’s be sure we detail the difference between “trying out” clubs vs. “getting fitted” for clubs.
I think of it this way…I can go into a hundred different department stores and “try out” new suits. I will certainly find some that fit pretty well and some that don’t. But if I go into a TAILOR SHOP owned and manned by employees of the manufacture of the suit(s), have the suit(s) tailored TO ME, I am MUCH more likely to have the best looking, best fitting suit I could find. If I get to pay the same price for either! That is a HUGE bonus!
Fitting remove the subjectivity of the tryouts. TRACKMAN does not lie! You can try several different manufacturers during the current Golf Fest format (6 days total over 3 months), go home, sit down, compare the OBJECTIVE performance, specs and prices and make annINFORMED decision on much more than just how a club(s) feel.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I'm disappointed I never was able to attend one of them. I was looking forward to it, but covid killed those plans...

I did go to one of the "tent fittings" @ Sarasota, but it felt lacking...

I guess I'll stick to going to the big box stores with a proper appointment in the future...
So you’d rather hit into a net with no idea what your actual ball flight will be? Most people don’t know this but the machines in the big box stores can be manipulated to show you hitting a straighter ball and a longer ball. I know because I fired a staff member at a Golf Galaxy in Illinois for doing just that.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
How is not having Golf Fest "greed"?

The golf companies and vendors pay to be there...
And I am sure they were consulted and agreed on the new format.
Heck, the developer might be losing money this way, not getting rental income for the polo grounds.
Closed Thread

Tags
festival, golf, villages, r.i.p, original

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.