Rage at 1st Tee on Amelia

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Default Rage at 1st Tee on Amelia

Wasn't going to post this, but looking back now it's almost funny...

We were 3rd group after 5:00 off at Amelia (Mallory) last week, our foursome following a foursome - so anyway, being there's not much room to "stage" golf carts at starter shack up there, so starter was telling groups to move up near 1st tee...all swell so far.

The group ahead of us (2nd group out; 2M's & 2F's) moved up to play from green tees while we moved up to whites. Don't see guys playing "greens" much and they weren't super-seniors or even seniors...so it seemed a bit odd; maybe beginners we thought?

So we're all sitting watching group 1 play, approaching green and expecting group 2 to tee off. Nope. Well the group behind us starts getting antsy and yelling out to group 2 to go. Nope. A few minutes pass and starter calls out for group 2 to go. Nope. I don't think group 2 hears starter, so I call over to them (from white tees to greens) to go. Nope. Group 1 is now putting. I call again to group 2 to go. He yells back to me that nobody is going to tell him when to hit the ball. I answer that starter has requested him to play. Nope.

Group 1 are now in their carts and driving away. Group 2 is now preparing to play.

Plenty of irate folks...just the way to start a round...as we think, what lies ahead tonight?

Everything was fine after 1st hole...must have been some divine intervention!

PS. You of course know where and how far the "green tee gang" hit (mis-hit) their balls. Longest tee shot of the four was a little over 100 yards.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"

Last edited by grayesun; 07-27-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

must be the heat...Saw a young man throw a driver at an oak tree on the links today..He blamed the tree for jumping out in front of his slice...er...drive...The then hit the ball off the asphalt cart path with that same driver and made a beautiful shot down the middle of the fairway..Never let him use my clubs...LOL
Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Gold member

Your story was good until the P.S. That wasn't necessary to remark about how far green tee players hit their ball.....plenty of green tee players can probably out play you! They just know their limitations better than you....and we all have limitations of one kind or another.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Veteran member

Oh........ ....Brother!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Your story was good until the P.S. That wasn't necessary to remark about how far green tee players hit their ball.....plenty of green tee players can probably out play you! They just know their limitations better than you....and we all have limitations of one kind or another.
The point wasn't how far they hit their balls (only provided for info)...but their unwillingness to play even after being prompted repeatedly, thinking perhaps they'd hit group 1 players on the green - over 250 yards out, so perhaps all 4 players suffered "limitations" of not being able to hit the ball LESS than 250 yards...
In summary -
1)no need for condescending attitude in response, 2) imagined evaluation of my game, or 3) bizarre "limitations" logic/speculation, 4) grouping every green tee player with these 4 particular players

It was meant as a humorous story and as I said, we were never troubled by the group on subsequent holes.

This nonsense reminds me why I seldom post.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayesun View Post
The point wasn't how far they hit their balls (only provided for info)...but their unwillingness to play even after being prompted repeatedly, thinking perhaps they'd hit group 1 players on the green - over 250 yards out, so perhaps all 4 players suffered "limitations" of not being able to hit the ball LESS than 250 yards...
In summary -
1)no need for condescending attitude in response, 2) imagined evaluation of my game, or 3) bizarre "limitations" logic/speculation, 4) grouping every green tee player with these 4 particular players

It was meant as a humorous story and as I said, we were never troubled by the group on subsequent holes.

Don't quit Gray, I get a kick out of your posts. You're a good guy, even if you are a Patriots fan.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

Boy I'm sure glad I don't golf. I'm sure everyone else is to
Old 07-27-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
Don't quit Gray, I get a kick out of your posts. You're a good guy, even if you are a Patriots fan.
No quittin here, just prefer small generously spaced doses of horse dung...and how do you know about my football inclinations...have you seen my boxer shorts or maybe the life-size Steve Grogan face tatoo on my back?

Are you the Giants fan that absconded with my 7 iron at El Diablo last February...hmmm?

Thanks for support.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
No quittin here, just prefer small generously spaced doses of horse dung...and how do you know about my football inclinations...have you seen my boxer shorts or maybe the life-size Steve Grogan face tatoo on my back?

Are you the Giants fan that absconded with my 7 iron at El Diablo last February...hmmm?

Thanks for support.
None of the above. I'm the J_E_T_S, Jets, Jets, Jets fan who used to needle you about N.E. I took a breather from talking smack last year but should be back in shape this season. It should be fun.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
None of the above. I'm the J_E_T_S, Jets, Jets, Jets fan who used to needle you about N.E. I took a breather from talking smack last year but should be back in shape this season. It should be fun.
Sounds like you're on the complete Rex Ryan "footloose" regimen...smart move, just go easy on the carbs. My lady is a big Jets fan too...her 1 major flaw.

We're in the golf cart with The Villages logo plate showing - "Patriots, "Bruins", "Red Sox" and yes..."Jets"; just stirring up trouble on every course we play! See ya out there!

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

Old 07-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Considering they were not that old but used the green tees and didn't hit the ball that far, they probably had only been playing executive courses before, in which case you don't tee off until the group in front has left the green. That's the only logical sense for them acting that way. I can't imagine taking up a sport and not having watched it on TV at least a little bit to get a grasp of the situation.

I find that the ambassadors and starters on the championship courses really try and avoid any sort of authority position or confrontation. Besides giving you water, sand or letting you know your 1 minute behind, it seems that's all they are really do. My longest round was Hemingway to Kilamanjaro about last February, teed off around noon and got done at 5:05.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Default Agree

Quote:
In summary -

I'm with you on this one! Makes you wish you could put a big red X over those posts that come out of left field! I too quit posting for a while, but realized those type posts are not going away, nor are they going to stop me from gaining information and expressing opinions on this wonderful forum.

Keep those posts coming. I'm a bogie golfer who does a back flip (well, not actuallyl) when I shoot under 90, and being shorter, off the tee, than my playing partners, wasn't offended. Hey, that's why golf is a "four letter word"! But, love the game more than any other sport I've ever played, including nude synchronized swimming (gave that up years ago)!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Email Reported As Spam

This thread is too political for me
Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?? Seriously, 99% of the folks I've met playing golf are nice guys or nice ladies. I've never lost a club that wasn't turned in----once one was mailed at no charge over 1200 miles. Fore!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:08 PM
TOTV Moderator

This thread seems to have wandered far off topic. The original topic was addressed and discussed.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.