Repairing golf ball marks on putting green properly

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Sage
Default Repairing golf ball marks on putting green properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Taj - One of the problems I have noticed is that some people actually repair their ball mark, but do it by lifting up the damaged turf like they do "up north". But that will result in a dead spot on the greens since the grass lifted in that manner will die. I have mentioned this to several players and almost always get the response that they "know" how to repair a ball mark and don't need to be told how by me. And then there are the ones that think slamming a putter on the depression somehow repairs the dent.
This quote came from the Golf Course Condition thread. That is one of my favorite threads to hear of golf course conditions so I started this one instead of hi jacking.

Mike, I have never heard of a place where lifting the turf is proper to fix a ball mark, even "up north". Are there grasses where this is OK to use this method? I have always used the method in this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ZzT8yMnmg[/ame]

I have always been surprised how many people do not properly fix ball marks, even folks that I consider very good and experienced players. We have beautiful greens back north in Foxboro, MA, but brown spots will develop. This is often not due to the fact folks do not fix the mark, but rather the mark is being improperly fixed.

To your point about advising people, I have never found a way to bring up the subject with a fellow golfer without getting the evil eye, unless we know each other.

Last edited by ajbrown; 11-23-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling in subject
Old 11-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Sage

Thanks... I've been doing it wrong!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:55 AM
BOMBERO
Default Nice - Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
This quote came from the Golf Course Condition thread. That is one of my favorite threads to hear of golf course conditions so I started this one instead of hi jacking.

Mike, I have never heard of a place where lifting the turf is proper to fix a ball mark, even "up north". Are there grasses where this is OK to use this method? I have always used the method in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ZzT8yMnmg

I have always been surprised how many people do not properly fix ball marks, even folks that I consider very good and experienced players. We have beautiful greens back north in Foxboro, MA, but brown spots will develop. This is often not due to the fact folks do not fix the mark, but rather the mark is being improperly fixed.

To your point about advising people, I have never found a way to bring up the subject with a fellow golfer without getting the evil eye, unless we know each other.
I hope everyone reads this one. Remember folks - just like the Pros do, it's OUR job to fix our own ball marks. I've heard more than once " It's not my job, let them fix them."
Old 11-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ZzT8yMnmg

Thank you for posting this video clip!!! I hope it gets lots of views.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks for posting! Excellent "how to" video.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Sage

Quote:

AJ - When I have discussed repairing ball marks with people who insert the repair tool into the depression and lift the center up as mentioned in the video, I am told that this method is the way they do it "up north" or "back home". I suspect they are playing on bentgrass greens, but can't verify that. My experience is primarily on hybrid bermuda in SoCal and here. And we all see the result of improper repair. I, too, repair as many marks as I can while out of view of others who are putting.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Sure wish this film was mandatory

Played Mira Mesa today and found tons of ball marks on the greens....Sure proud of changes made to Mira Mesa and would like course to stay as nice as it is.....I've played with friends from across the pond and they say that their ambassador reminds them once, second time you are off the course!
Old 11-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
AJ - When I have discussed repairing ball marks with people who insert the repair tool into the depression and lift the center up as mentioned in the video, I am told that this method is the way they do it "up north" or "back home". I suspect they are playing on bentgrass greens, but can't verify that. My experience is primarily on hybrid bermuda in SoCal and here. And we all see the result of improper repair. I, too, repair as many marks as I can while out of view of others who are putting.
The reason I started the thread is I have always found your posts show you have been around the game and have solid experience with managing expectations and knowledge in course maintenance. When you mentioned "lift the center up" as a way they do it up north, I got curious.

I was interested because IMO you should never lift the center of the ball mark up and I was curious if I was once again mistaken (always willing to learn more this life) . Are there areas of the country or types of grass that "lifting" is the correct way to fix a mark?
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Played Mira Mesa today and found tons of ball marks on the greens....Sure proud of changes made to Mira Mesa and would like course to stay as nice as it is.....I've played with friends from across the pond and they say that their ambassador reminds them once, second time you are off the course!
Nice..... I have yet to see the changes... based on this I look forward to checking it out.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
AJ - When I have discussed repairing ball marks with people who insert the repair tool into the depression and lift the center up as mentioned in the video, I am told that this method is the way they do it "up north" or "back home"...
Up north shouldn't include Maryland, especially around Baltimore most people knew how to repair ball marks. We also probably played 'cart path only' a good half of the time, so were use to not damaging the golf course.

One thing that should be done here is before anyone other than those on a LSV visit, is to require going to 'The Good Golf School' at Colony Cottage before setting foot on any of our courses.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:19 AM
Veteran member

GREAT THREAD

I am always advocating fixing as many ball marks as you can without slowing play. Many times if a ball hits the front of the gren and skips to the back folks forget to look for their mark or scuff. That is understandable so I fix mine and at least 2 more on each hole.

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 11-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
GREAT THREAD

I am always advocating fixing as many ball marks as you can without slowing play. Many times if a ball hits the front of the gren and skips to the back folks forget to look for their mark or scuff. That is understandable so I fix mine and at least 2 more on each hole.
So true. It was emphasized to me when I started this game to always leave the course in better shape than you found it. To me, this means repairing more than just my ball mark and using the sand bottle to fill in my divot and any nearby that have not been filled, both on the fairway and on the tees. When filling divots, be sure to fill in only to the level of the soil, not the grass. Otherwise we will get fairways and tees with a lot of little bumps. I've seen mounds of sand in divot holes. I always smooth them out with my foot so we don't get tees that look like they've got acne.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.