Riding alone in cart on course

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Gold member
Default Riding alone in cart on course

Yesterday at Belmont I listened as the Starter informed a man he could not drive his cart alone on the course and that he must either ride with the other single or have that person ride with him.

MY QUESTION: is that a hard and fast rule or did this starter take it upon himself to come up with this rule.

I have no problem riding or giving a ride to someone else, BUT:

some people smoke and some don't
some are talkers and some are not.
some carry extra stuff in their carts.

The par three courses only have one or two holes that you can leave the concrete path anyway. Maybe even there, say cart path only if you are riding alone, but don't force two folks that don't want to into the same cart.

What gives with this.

I don't have a dog in this race, but if someone wishes to ride alone for any personal reason, then they should be allowed to.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 AM

There was a notice in the paper about this I think yesterday or sometime earlier this week.

Because of the dry conditions and all the golf cart traffic on the courses at this time of year they're trying to be proactive before the courses get totally ruined.

I think the article did say that if you have a really good reason to want to ride alone they will let you but then you must stay on the cart path for all holes.

Please people, don't shoot the messenger (starter) for following the rules. Those guys get enough abuse as it is.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
There was a notice in the paper about this I think yesterday or sometime earlier this week.

Because of the dry conditions and all the golf cart traffic on the courses at this time of year they're trying to be proactive before the courses get totally ruined.

I think the article did say that if you have a really good reason to want to ride alone they will let you but then you must stay on the cart path for all holes.

Please people, don't shoot the messenger (starter) for following the rules. Those guys get enough abuse as it is.
I sure missed that article. Anyone know how I can bring that up on line and read it.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager II View Post
I sure missed that article. Anyone know how I can bring that up on line and read it.
It was in the golf column that is on the second page of the sports section. Don't think that is online. I believe it was yesterday's paper if you still have it around. Ours is out at the end of the driveway for recycle day.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,515 Times in 1,913 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Rules, Rules, Rules of golf.

Also, an unrelated rule that new golfers may not know is that each golfer must have his own clubs and golf bag.

I don't know the reason for that, but it is an old, old rule everywhere I have golfed, just like wearing the collared shirt. And you can carry only two bags on a cart even if it is a four seater...I think........Anyone know for sure?

And English Ivy is right. Those ambassadors get a lot of grief that they don't deserve.

Thanks for the info in the paper English. This Forum rocks!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
It was in the golf column that is on the second page of the sports section. Don't think that is online. I believe it was yesterday's paper if you still have it around. Ours is out at the end of the driveway for recycle day.
Thanks. Mine was at the curb also. Looks like that is temporary and if you still want to ride alone, they only ask that you stay on the cart path for the whole round to include the par 4 holes. Sounds very reasonable to me.

I hope now that any neighbor that saw me going through my trash don't start dropping off care packages at my door.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Yesterday at Belmont I listened as the Starter informed a man he could not drive his cart alone on the course and that he must either ride with the other single or have that person ride with him.

MY QUESTION: is that a hard and fast rule or did this starter take it upon himself to come up with this rule.

I have no problem riding or giving a ride to someone else, BUT:

some people smoke and some don't
some are talkers and some are not.
some carry extra stuff in their carts.

The par three courses only have one or two holes that you can leave the concrete path anyway. Maybe even there, say cart path only if you are riding alone, but don't force two folks that don't want to into the same cart.

What gives with this.

I don't have a dog in this race, but if someone wishes to ride alone for any personal reason, then they should be allowed to.
I agree that it's best during this dry time of year to keep golf cart traffic to a minimum on the par 4 fairways. But, we pay a cart fee of $141.24 a year so that we can use our cart on the cart paths on all executive courses. For that reason I do not see how we can be prohibited from using our own cart if we want to.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Sage

IMHO, any rule the admins want to make/change to preserve the little turf that's left are fine with me. If we are not careful, we'll soon be playing tee-dirt-green. Not much fun, and real dusty.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
I agree that it's best during this dry time of year to keep golf cart traffic to a minimum on the par 4 fairways. But, we pay a cart fee of $141.24 a year so that we can use our cart on the cart paths on all executive courses. For that reason I do not see how we can be prohibited from using our own cart if we want to.
Prohibited?? The rules can change anytime, anyway this is a way to save what little grass is growing. Entitlement can go only so far.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Prohibited?? The rules can change anytime, anyway this is a way to save what little grass is growing. Entitlement can go only so far.
I agree, but if in fact the rule is to save grass, then no one should be prohibited from using the concrete cart paths.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 AM

Not all of us read PRAVDA, excuse me The Daily Sun every day. If you want to change a rule or put somethong in place on a temporary basis just post notice at the starter shack. 99% of the starters, rovers etc. are just great they are the kind of people that want to help you out and I appreciate it.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I agree, but if in fact the rule is to save grass, then no one should be prohibited from using the concrete cart paths.
That was MY point.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

Don't believe anyone is "prohibited from using cart paths". the foursome is requested to have 2 carts. If there are 3 carts for whatever reason, 1 of the 3 must be on the cart path at any time on all holes other than "par 3's"(always on paths) for executive or championship. Doesn't have to be the same cart each time on path. Only states 1 of the 3 on path. Article on page 2 of sports page thurs. daily sun.......
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
Don't believe anyone is "prohibited from using cart paths". the foursome is requested to have 2 carts. If there are 3 carts for whatever reason, 1 of the 3 must be on the cart path at any time on all holes other than "par 3's"(always on paths) for executive or championship. Doesn't have to be the same cart each time on path. Only states 1 of the 3 on path. Article on page 2 of sports page thurs. daily sun.......
This is 100% correct. You can ride alone if you want, but only 2 of the three carts can be on the grass at any given time. This ruling is being looked at to become perminant, but has not been decided yet.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 AM

Here's what was in yesterday's paper. It's now posted on Golf The Villages

Golf Car Traffic
Mother Nature has been very good to all of the golfers so far this
winter with warmer than normal temps in January and only 4
frosts! Unfortunately she hasn’t been as nice with the rainfall this
winter. Our area is behind normal rainfall 5 ½ inches in past two
months alone and the golf courses are starting to show the wear
and tear with all of the golf car and foot traffic and the drought
conditions. Consequently we all need to do our part and together
we can keep our course in the best possible shape given the
circumstances.
We are asking two things of our golfers to help our courses be the
best the can be:
 Please use the 90 degree rule when riding off the golf car
path onto the fairways. That is to say, please exit the golf car
path at 90 degrees to your ball, drive to your golf ball, then
you’re riding partner’s ball and return straight back to the
golf car path. Additionally, when possible, please drive your
golf car in the rough area’s and avoid worn areas as much as
possible.
 When checking in with the Starter you will be asked to pair
up so your four-some will be using only two golf cars. We
realize there are at times, personal reasons for wanting to ride
in your own golf car, but in order to provide the best possible
conditions; we need to minimize unnecessary golf car traffic.
If there remains a compelling or necessary reason for your
group to take three golf cars during your round, one of the
three golf cars with be required to remain on the golf car path
on each hole.

http://www.golfthevillages.com/turft...%20traffic.pdf
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.