Sand trap & Rakes

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Eternal Member

Geez, cut the ambassador some slack. It's not like there's a million dollars on the line. Have fun, laugh and just enjoy life and the fact that you are still able to get out and enjoy golf.

Last edited by Bonny; 01-10-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Geez, cut people some slack. It's not like there's a million dollars on the line. Have fun, laugh and just enjoy life and the fact that you are still able to get out and enjoy golf.

Our Bonnie has it right, plus a good heart, AND she is so lovely too. She is the poster girl for The Villages.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:54 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Our Bonnie has it right, plus a good heart, AND she is so lovely too. She is the poster girl for The Villages.
You're a sweetheart.
We have lost so many very close friends this year and it's been heartbreaking. Many of them were so sudden. It helps put things in perspective. Life is so short and we never know when our time will come. Might as well get as much fun in as I can.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When I meet you in person Tomwed, I am going to bop you upsidethehead before I hug you.

Who do you credit, (or blame) for your sense of humor?
My Uncle Eddy and Uncle Jimmy. On my mom's side we would have 10 cousin birthday parties a year besides Christmas and summer weekends in a couple of old trailers in the pine barrens. Dad's drank, mom's cooked and nobody talked politics or religion. As a kid if you could make my grandmother laugh with a school story, which wasn't hard to do, it would feel so good you kept trying to think of new ones. And if everyone laughed it must have felt like home run feels. I can only guess. Years later everyone tried to make my mom laugh.

Now only a couple of times a year my sibs, kids, nieces and nephews get together and we still try to make each other laugh with stories. It feels the same but twice a year is not enough. I wish they were here.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGirl View Post
Went golfing Friday with some friends. My girlfriend hit into a sand trap and as she took the rake to her ball the ambassador drove up and explained to her how to put the rake back when she was done. We couldn't believe that he would interrupt her game, to explain something she knew. I'm sure he wouldn't have done this to a man. If there was a problem setting rakes, I think we all should have been told this when we checked in. He should have stayed on the cart path and observed, and if the rake was placed wrong, then said something.
This seems like one of those times that it's just best to say thanks, and move on. I seriously doubt the ambassador meant to be offensive or sexist, and meant well by his actions.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
We've been in TV for 2 years now and still get confused where to turn in for particular Starter Houses for courses.
I use to get lost too. My idea was to put t a black pickle ball on the highest point on a street sign that leads to a starter shack or another pickleball. They look like big golf wiffle balls. Unless you were looking for one I'll bet no one would even notice it.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Geez, cut people some slack. It's not like there's a million dollars on the line. Have fun, laugh and just enjoy life and the fact that you are still able to get out and enjoy golf.
Bonny, in all due respect we have far too many ambassadors that cut people too much slack...that's why golfers sometimes hit two three balls at a time, why they socialize around the tee boxes or greens, its why they spend an inordinate amount of time searching for a tee or ball, why they use that "horrifying phrase"I ain't giving up as they strike their upteenth shot. Its why a 1 hr and 20 minute round turn into 2hrs plus. Its why cigarette, cigar butts , peanut shells, etc end up on the tee boxes or around the greens.

Its how and why a beautiful place can turn ugly pretty quickly

But then I am one of those folks who just always complains, like taxpayers who shudder to see the frivolous manner in which their hard earned dollars are spent.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Bonny, in all due respect we have far too many ambassadors that cut people too much slack...that's why golfers sometimes hit two three balls at a time, why they socialize around the tee boxes or greens, its why they spend an inordinate amount of time searching for a tee or ball, why they use that "horrifying phrase"I ain't giving up as they strike their upteenth shot. Its why a 1 hr and 20 minute round turn into 2hrs plus. Its why cigarette, cigar butts , peanut shells, etc end up on the tee boxes or around the greens.

Its how and why a beautiful place can turn ugly pretty quickly

But then I am one of those folks who just always complains, like taxpayers who shudder to see the frivolous manner in which their hard earned dollars are spent.
I meant cut the ambassador some slack.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Geez, cut the ambassador some slack. It's not like there's a million dollars on the line. Have fun, laugh and just enjoy life and the fact that you are still able to get out and enjoy golf.
Those words are what is needed on a sign.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I get it. Ambassador's are damned if they do (whatever they do) and damned if they don't. It can be a fun job being an Ambassador but also sometimes a tough job.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I get it. Ambassador's are damned if they do (whatever they do) and damned if they don't. It can be a fun job being an Ambassador but also sometimes a tough job.

ALWAYS a tough job here. I would last about five minutes in any job here, serving the public. Maybe four.

I appreciate those who work with us old grouches.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGirl View Post
I support the ambassadors too, but they should know, that you should not interrupt play. He should have waited to see where she put the rake and then corrected her if need be. This was a complaint, not complaining. Enough said.
Based on the what you have told us, I agree with you 100%. The issue is we cannot know why the ambassador did this?

If we had that information it may make perfect sense... will never know...
Old 01-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Sage

This is a great thread. It's about nothing but this time, so far, no one is angry.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Did this incident with the ambassador happen at Havana? I never forgot about three years ago I was playing at Havana on Kenya and was joined by a couple in their 50's from California. We had a nice conversation going for about a dozen holes, they were on a lifestyle visit and were trying to decide between Florida and Arizona and the west coast. They were both decent golfers and on our back nine the lady was in a sand trap. An ambassador rolled up and told the lady in a sort of stern manner, lay your rake inside the trap with the handle toward the edge and began to show her. She must of talked about that incident for the next 2 or 3 holes. I thought, I've never seen an ambassador talk this way to anyone, and many times I wished they had, and now this person is probably going to always remember this. I know I did, and that was three years ago.

The funny thing is, I started playing golf in 1962 and I know my way around a golf course. I took the Good Golf School when I arrived here five years ago, and the way a rake is positioned is the only thing I really learned at that school and remembered afterwards.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:54 PM

Just for clarification, this happened at Truman, the woman has played golf for years, knows the rules, and this was her one and only sand trap. I never have problems with ambassadors, but this guy left the cart path, drove over 100 ft. to the sand trap and proceeded to tell her how to put the rake away. Fortunately she is a full time resident and knows it was just him being a jerk. If you don't see it this way, that's fine, maybe you had to be there.
Closed Thread

Tags
rake, rakes, sand, trap, man, problem, path, told, checked, cart, observed, stayed, wrong, setting, hit, girlfriend, friends, golfing, friday, ball, ambassador, interrupt, game, explain, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.