Seasonal Golf Rates

Old 05-07-2024, 05:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,190 Times in 786 Posts
Default Seasonal Golf Rates

A question for the folks that have been here for a while.

Have the Golf Rates always run June-December & Jan - May ?

It seems awkward timing, considering the pattern of occupancy in TV.

I just looked at the Tee Sheet for Tierra Del Sol.

There are 36 Tee Times between 9:38 a.m. & 2:00 PM. There are only 6 Foursomes booked in those times. A total of 34 Players, out of a possible 144.

From 2:00 pm (when the rate changes), the next 13 Tee Times are full.

I'm not complaining, just curious why the rates don't run Oct-April, then May - Sept.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:58 PM
Default Seasonal tee time's changed in 2021 after Covid, I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post

There are 36 Tee Times between 9:38 a.m. & 2:00 PM. There are only 6 Foursomes booked in those times. A total of 34 Players, out of a possible 144.

I'm not complaining, just curious why the rates don't run Oct-April, then May - Sept.

We moved here in 2020. That year the rates changed to summer rates May 1st. They also raised the rental on golf carts from 4 dollar to 12 dollars in 2021. Really disappointed with some of the championship course conditions in the last couple years. We have priority membership and play 250 plus rounds a year between the two of us. Executive courses are what they are. Get what you pay for, as the saying goes.
I really hope they take notice of the fall off in play in May this year and go back to summer rates in May.

Always be humble and kind.

Last edited by TSO/ISPF; 05-07-2024 at 05:59 PM. Reason: editing
Old 05-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSO/ISPF View Post
We moved here in 2020. That year the rates changed to summer rates May 1st. They also raised the rental on golf carts from 4 dollar to 12 dollars in 2021. .
I have an Enhanced Membership & play most every day and just consider it part of what it costs me to be retired.

That said, I had 2 Guests last week. It was $248 for the 3 of us (I think that included a sleeve of golf balls). I almost choked when the person behind the counter gave me the total.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,243 Times in 2,821 Posts

They used to have three seasons, the expensive winter season, that ran January through April. Then the slow season inexpensive rates that ran from May through September. Then the mid cost season that ran from October through December. During slow season they also used to have very cheap evening rates (less than the 9 hole rate) that were a great deal during the longest days of the year. They also used to allow unlimited play during the afternoon wave base on availability. During that time one could pay for 18 and typically play all three 9 holes on the 27 hole courses. Then they went to two seasons and at first May was considered slow season, but was later changed to be included in busy season. Also, all published rates used to include taxes but that was changed. I have definitely noticed how empty the courses are during the afternoon wave in May since they began including that month in the expensive season rates. People wait until after 2:00 and play the 18 hole courses, when they can play 18 for the price of 9 holes.

They also used to have more tiered pricing by courses. Palmer was the most expensive , Lopez, Havana, Bonifay, Evans, and Belle, were the next most expensive tier, Glenview and Cane were the next tier, Tierra and Mallory were next, Hacienda next, and Orange Blossom was the cheapest. And back then, all the courses were generally always in good shape and they over seeded in the winter resulting in much better winter conditions. The flip side is there was a short period of time in the early spring when the conditions suffered while the Bermuda overtook the temporary winter grass. Obviously, Southern Oaks (and a whole crap load of homes) didn’t exist back then.

Although my memory is still pretty good, it’s not that good. I went to my Villages golf file and pulled out old rate sheets for the above information.

Last edited by tophcfa; 05-07-2024 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
They used to have three seasons, the expensive winter season, that ran January through April. Then the slow season inexpensive rates that ran from May through September. Then the mid cost season that ran from October through December. During slow season they also used to have very cheap evening rates (less than the 9 hole rate) that were a great deal during the longest days of the year. They also used to allow unlimited play during the afternoon wave base on availability. During that time one could pay for 18 and typically play all three 9 holes on the 27 hole courses.
That all makes sense. I wonder why they stopped the "3 Season rates"?

With all the empty tee times out there this month, cash flow from courses has be off significantly. I don't remember it being like that, last May.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Last year rates were posted May 21 for June. Guess is post will be end of May as usual
Old 05-07-2024, 09:49 PM
Veteran member

One reason behind it could be to be in line with the seasonal rates for courses outside of TV. I know that in many courses in Florida, the high season is Jan-April where the rate goes up on Jan 1st.

If they raised the prices inside TV in Oct, they would then be competing with some superior courses outside of TV with decently lower rates from Oct-Dec.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
They used to have three seasons, the expensive winter season, that ran January through April. Then the slow season inexpensive rates that ran from May through September. Then the mid cost season that ran from October through December. During slow season they also used to have very cheap evening rates (less than the 9 hole rate) that were a great deal during the longest days of the year. They also used to allow unlimited play during the afternoon wave base on availability. During that time one could pay for 18 and typically play all three 9 holes on the 27 hole courses. Then they went to two seasons and at first May was considered slow season, but was later changed to be included in busy season. Also, all published rates used to include taxes but that was changed. I have definitely noticed how empty the courses are during the afternoon wave in May since they began including that month in the expensive season rates. People wait until after 2:00 and play the 18 hole courses, when they can play 18 for the price of 9 holes.

They also used to have more tiered pricing by courses. Palmer was the most expensive , Lopez, Havana, Bonifay, Evans, and Belle, were the next most expensive tier, Glenview and Cane were the next tier, Tierra and Mallory were next, Hacienda next, and Orange Blossom was the cheapest. And back then, all the courses were generally always in good shape and they over seeded in the winter resulting in much better winter conditions. The flip side is there was a short period of time in the early spring when the conditions suffered while the Bermuda overtook the temporary winter grass. Obviously, Southern Oaks (and a whole crap load of homes) didn’t exist back then.

Although my memory is still pretty good, it’s not that good. I went to my Villages golf file and pulled out old rate sheets for the above information.
Yes, you are correct. The golf course conditions have generally gone downhill, while the prices have gone up! Not a pretty picture.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,651 Times in 966 Posts

Quote:

With all the empty tee times out there this month, cash flow from courses has be off significantly. I don't remember it being like that, last May.
Easy, it gives the course a break after snowbirds leave. Keeping the rates high in May reduces rounds for the month.

If it really hurt them finacially, they would go back to 3 seasons.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,052 Times in 4,191 Posts

Quote:

My memory is still pretty good and you are right on!

Also, note priority winter rate in 2016 was $37.00 including tax, currently 51.50 + tax = $55.11, an increase of 49%

Last edited by golfing eagles; 05-08-2024 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Appears persons in management do not know Florida seasons. In S. Florida, winter season is Thanksgiving to Easter. Central Florida a little cooler but not much. Have no clue why we pay lower rates in December and higher rates in May(as I read that highs will be in the 90's this week) Private clubs in S. Florida had and probably still have summer memberships which run 5/1 thru 10/31.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:16 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Seems to me that warm temps came earlier this year and north was not too cold this year.

Tags
rates, times, tee, golf, run

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.