Short Game Practice

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2016, 05:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
Sarasota has a fantastic area for not only pitching and putting, but an area to practice bunker shots. I don't know of any other area that has sand traps in which to practice.

The driving range is also great. Just remember you are hitting floaters out over the water, not regular balls. So the performance may not be exactly the same. But it is a beautiful place to practice.
Across from Lopez driving range next to the MMP that runs up through the Mulberry area there is a practice bunker.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

If you turn into Palmer Legends right next to the Himalayas putting green, that path will lead you to a practice sand bunker if you veer right off the pathway rather than veer left toward the Golf Academy building. The only restriction is that you can't use it if the instructors are giving a sand bunker lesson.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
Sarasota has a fantastic area for not only pitching and putting, but an area to practice bunker shots. I don't know of any other area that has sand traps in which to practice.

The driving range is also great. Just remember you are hitting floaters out over the water, not regular balls. So the performance may not be exactly the same. But it is a beautiful place to practice.
Can any resident use that short game practice area or is there a fee?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Can any resident use that short game practice area or is there a fee?
Anyone, and no fee for the practice area. There is a fee for the range.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
And, then there's.............
I already have a Crappy swing.......Thats why I want practice......
Old 04-21-2016, 08:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsol View Post
I already have a Crappy swing.......Thats why I want practice......
There are actually two different types of practice. One is to try to change something or learn something new. The other is to keep what you've learned. If you've got a crappy swing, then you need to do the first. Repeating a crappy swing over and over will ingrain a crappy swing. Practice makes permanent.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:48 AM
Sage
Default Orange Blossom

I played OB yesterday and noticed there is a green for pitching next to the practice putting green.

I never knew one was there... is that close enough for you ?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I played OB yesterday and noticed there is a green for pitching next to the practice putting green.

I never knew one was there... is that close enough for you ?
Thanks. I went up there a few times. Both of those greens are in pretty bad condition. The one at De La Vista is much better. Is there one at Tierra del Sol?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Platinum member

Some of these responses indicate that a few folks think chipping and pitching are the same thing. Most golf courses do not allow pitching onto their putting greens, but many allow chipping. Pitching can involve taking divots and creating pitch marks on the greens while chipping normally does not.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWinstonOBoogieJr View Post
There are actually two different types of practice. One is to try to change something or learn something new. The other is to keep what you've learned. If you've got a crappy swing, then you need to do the first. Repeating a crappy swing over and over will ingrain a crappy swing. Practice makes permanent.
I totally agree. Funny that you mention that; I was at Sarasota today helping my wife get ready for the Ladies Village Cup; there was a guy hitting next to my wife that had the ugliest swing I've ever seen; had to start the ball way out left to bring it back to middle. He noticed the straight flight of my wife's shots and asked her where she learned to hit like that; she motioned toward me and said "he taught me". He asked me what he was doing wrong and after about 30 minutes, I had him hitting considerably straighter. Afterward I asked him if he was going to practice with what we worked on or going back to the same old swing? He had this goofy grin on his face and I pretty much told him the same thing that you said about practice - never change, never get better.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Some of these responses indicate that a few folks think chipping and pitching are the same thing. Most golf courses do not allow pitching onto their putting greens, but many allow chipping. Pitching can involve taking divots and creating pitch marks on the greens while chipping normally does not.
And we know that a select group of people (the privileged/entitled) DO NOT REPAIR THOSE, don't we? Why would we think they (the privileged/entitled) fix them while practicing when they (the privileged/entitled) don't fix them while playing?

Tags
practice, putting, golf, executives, areas, greens, courses, chipping, game, pitching, short

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.