Single handicap playing Executive Scramble

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2020, 08:08 AM
Default Golf

Xxx

Last edited by Paporter; 01-21-2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,915 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paporter View Post
Why are women with single digit handicaps allowed to play executive course ladies day scramble? The women who play the scrambles, for the most part don’t have handicaps and if they do, they’re in the double digits.

It’s unfair, to all the other players, for these women to play, because they consistently, win every week. Why is this allowed by The Villages?

These woman, don’t play the Championship Ladies Day, because they play against 25 handicappers and feel it’s unfair. Yet, they’ll take advantage of women, who play executive course scrambles, with no handicaps. It’s not fair and single digit handicappers should not be playing in the Executive Course Scrambles on Wednesday’s.
First, handicaps don't come into play on executive courses
Second, this is America, they can play where they want
Third, the premise that "single digit" handicap would feel it is unfair to play against (true) 25 handicappers is false. I will win most of the time giving strokes to a high handicapper.
Fourth, if it were a championship scramble, the teams would be divided into A,B,C, and D players, but not possible on a exec
Fifth, I would suggest taking lessons and practicing , you might be able to join the group you oppose
Old 12-09-2020, 08:49 AM
Sage

To some degree, the same thing happens on Men's Play Day. However, we are talking about $3 so who really cares. Presumably, you play because you enjoy it. If the situation is such that you don't enjoy it anymore then why play? They could, however, make some modifications to the rules. For example, require a minimum of two tee shots per player. Or they could play step aside; if your shot is selected you don't get to make the next shot (typically a putt on the executives). However, since the teams are random, everyone gets a chance to play with the better players and be on the winning team. Scrambles are all about making putts. If you want to win more then practice your putting.

Quote:
Why are women with single digit handicaps allowed to play executive course ladies day scramble? The women who play the scrambles, for the most part don’t have handicaps and if they do, they’re in the double digits.

It’s unfair, to all the other players, for these women to play, because they consistently, win every week. Why is this allowed by The Villages?

These woman, don’t play the Championship Ladies Day, because they play against 25 handicappers and feel it’s unfair. Yet, they’ll take advantage of women, who play executive course scrambles, with no handicaps. It’s not fair and single digit handicappers should not be playing in the Executive Course Scrambles on Wednesday’s.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Golf along with few other games are the only games you are actually playing against yourself. You have total control over course, the swing, and the thought process. It’s only you that makes bad choices or bad hits. Golf is hard due to many variables. I would suggest play the course and not worry about other players. You know the age old saying? Practice, practice, and more practice. Even then actual competition creates pressure.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
First, handicaps don't come into play on executive courses
Second, this is America, they can play where they want
Third, the premise that "single digit" handicap would feel it is unfair to play against (true) 25 handicappers is false. I will win most of the time giving strokes to a high handicapper.
Fourth, if it were a championship scramble, the teams would be divided into A,B,C, and D players, but not possible on a exec
Fifth, I would suggest taking lessons and practicing , you might be able to join the group you oppose
If they are using driver off par three 100 yards or less handicap does come into play
Old 12-09-2020, 10:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
If they are using driver off par three 100 yards or less handicap does come into play
You do realize the majority of holes in one published are women inside 100 yards with a driver, usually skulled
Old 12-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
To some degree, the same thing happens on Men's Play Day. However, we are talking about $3 so who really cares. Presumably, you play because you enjoy it. If the situation is such that you don't enjoy it anymore then why play? They could, however, make some modifications to the rules. For example, require a minimum of two tee shots per player. Or they could play step aside; if your shot is selected you don't get to make the next shot (typically a putt on the executives). However, since the teams are random, everyone gets a chance to play with the better players and be on the winning team. Scrambles are all about making putts. If you want to win more then practice your putting.
Men's day issue is a little different, since we only play one or two scrambles/year and they are divided ABCD. Without calling a potato a potato, prior to the world handicap system, a certain tee color would have 6 or 7 net scores in the 50's. Since the USGA states the odds of beating your handicap by 10 shots is 1 in 640,000, do the math for 7 scores that beat it and draw your own conclusion---I'm not going to use the "S" word
Old 12-09-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage

I was referring to Men’s Play Day on the executive courses (weekly on Tuesdays). The OP’s post was about Ladies’ Play Day on executives. I was trying to give her some suggestions. As far as I can tell, Men’s Play Day and Ladies’ Play Day on the executive are run the same way (random teams with gross score).

Quote:
Men's day issue is a little different, since we only play one or two scrambles/year and they are divided ABCD. Without calling a potato a potato, prior to the world handicap system, a certain tee color would have 6 or 7 net scores in the 50's. Since the USGA states the odds of beating your handicap by 10 shots is 1 in 640,000, do the math for 7 scores that beat it and draw your own conclusion---I'm not going to use the "S" word
Old 12-09-2020, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Golf along with few other games are the only games you are actually playing against yourself. You have total control over course, the swing, and the thought process. It’s only you that makes bad choices or bad hits. Golf is hard due to many variables. I would suggest play the course and not worry about other players. You know the age old saying? Practice, practice, and more practice. Even then actual competition creates pressure.
Well Said!
Old 12-09-2020, 11:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I was referring to Men’s Play Day on the executive courses (weekly on Tuesdays). The OP’s post was about Ladies’ Play Day on executives. I was trying to give her some suggestions. As far as I can tell, Men’s Play Day and Ladies’ Play Day on the executive are run the same way (random teams with gross score).
Sorry, didn't even consider that
Old 12-09-2020, 12:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,666 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:

Why not start a group and solicit players of "a certain skill level"?
Old 12-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:

Because we live in America, that's why!
Old 12-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
You do realize the majority of holes in one published are women inside 100 yards with a driver, usually skulled
I like to refer to it as lawn bowling.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Sage

As a 6 handicap (back in NC), I've always found it MORE CHALLENGING to play folks with a high handicap, BUT that is why we have a handicap system to even the playing field. Golf is such fun, ENJOY and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:12 AM

Oh, I see. If you work hard and become proficient at something you shouldn’t be allowed to participate with those who don’t. Interesting concept.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, women, executive, single, ladies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.