Sloooooow play

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default Sloooooow play

The biggest problem in golf IMO is slow play. Even the USGA has recognized it as a major problem and instigated the "while we're young" campaign. It keeps many people from either playing or playing as much as they might otherwise because of the time commitment and the simple frustration. I played with a 30 something man on Saturday on a championship course, who was randomly added to my threesome. He was a nice guy, enjoyable to visit with, but...............on every shot he went through a routine of five or six practice swings, backed off and looked at the line, lined up again, waggled five or six times, and finally hit the ball - often with horrible result. Now, I understand a pre-shot routine makes some sense, though I am of the opinion most people would be best served to simply walk up to the ball, look at the target, take a practice swing, address the ball, and hit it. BUT, if you are going through this kind of routine THEN shanking the ball 50 yards, I, and you, have a problem. Afterward I figured he took an extra twenty seconds per shot, and yes, per putt, not taking into consideration his several second tee shots and frequent lost balls. At twenty seconds a shot that adds up to an extra 30 minutes for an eighteen hole round! Fortunately the group behind us was slow and did not push us, but there was a two hole gap in front of us when we finished. I didn't say anything to him, as he was a stranger who I am likely, hopefully, never to play with again - If he was a friend or regular partner I would have said something. I am no great golfer, a sixteen handicapper, but I believe in a be quick, but don't hurry philosophy. I can accept bad golf, but have a tough time accepting slow golf. end of rant!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:30 AM
Sage

Patience, grasshopper!!!! or

Patience my a**, I'm going to kill somebody!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
The biggest problem in golf IMO is slow play. Even the USGA has recognized it as a major problem and instigated the "while we're young" campaign. It keeps many people from either playing or playing as much as they might otherwise because of the time commitment and the simple frustration. I played with a 30 something man on Saturday on a championship course, who was randomly added to my threesome. He was a nice guy, enjoyable to visit with, but...............on every shot he went through a routine of five or six practice swings, backed off and looked at the line, lined up again, waggled five or six times, and finally hit the ball - often with horrible result. Now, I understand a pre-shot routine makes some sense, though I am of the opinion most people would be best served to simply walk up to the ball, look at the target, take a practice swing, address the ball, and hit it. BUT, if you are going through this kind of routine THEN shanking the ball 50 yards, I, and you, have a problem. Afterward I figured he took an extra twenty seconds per shot, and yes, per putt, not taking into consideration his several second tee shots and frequent lost balls. At twenty seconds a shot that adds up to an extra 30 minutes for an eighteen hole round! Fortunately the group behind us was slow and did not push us, but there was a two hole gap in front of us when we finished. I didn't say anything to him, as he was a stranger who I am likely, hopefully, never to play with again - If he was a friend or regular partner I would have said something. I am no great golfer, a sixteen handicapper, but I believe in a be quick, but don't hurry philosophy. I can accept bad golf, but have a tough time accepting slow golf. end of rant!
Would you say the same if it was a WOMAN Waggling!!!!!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default while we're young...........

I so agree Ed. One of the first things I learned more than forty years ago when I was new at golf, was that you don't have to be good, but you can keep the pace of play. Keep up with the group ahead of you.

Here is another thread on the same subject and should be considered good advice for new golfers, not something mean. You can be new and still keep up the pace of play and everyone will enjoy playing with you and behind you.

READY Golf
Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 AM

I don't golf at all, but seems like slow would make it more fun.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Ruger View Post
I don't golf at all, but seems like slow would make it more fun.
Hitting the ball is the fun part of the game. The slow part is waiting around doing nothing or wasting time - that is great for the nineteenth hole, but not for the first eighteen, especially when it is 95 degrees and 90% humidity, like last Saturday here. Seriously, slow golf is most definitely not fun IMO, and it irritates everyone but the one perpetrating the problem.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

No excuse for slow play, period....Unless of course you call EMS for a fallen partner:-)
Played behind a group yesterday that had one hole open in front of them by #3, and God knows how many after 18. But, of course the ambassador said "they are on time"! Long, hot Sunday morning!
Old 07-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We played nine at seven thirty yesterday morning with a grandfather and his ten year old grandson and we were done in a little over an hour. Enjoyed it mightily. Young man had been taught well on pace of play.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl;907***
We played nine at seven thirty yesterday morning with a grandfather and his ten year old grandson and we were done in a little over an hour. Enjoyed it mightily. Young man had been taught well on pace of play.

Sounds like a fun round for all involved. Excellent way to start the day.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Gold member

I think a lot of people form their opinions on golf by watching old movies. They see people chatting and socializing at the country club, strolling along and occasionally hitting the ball. It appears that golf is a social time with a little golf mixed in. Folks, it ain't like this! You can chat and socialize but you have to keep moving along. The best way I can think of to have people pi$$ed off at you on a golf course is to hold everyone up while you take multiple practice swings then make dinner plans before you leave the green.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:35 PM

Slow play is a big issue in many places. It takes a well organized golf course to weed out those that persist in holding up those behind them. It also costs them money because fewer people can play due to the holdup. Plus others will not come back because the course didn't "fix" the issue.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
the problem is they watch too much golf channel. I played with a guy the other day who threw grass in the air checking the wind. then a little rock and roll he would finally hit the ball. way too much shaking and thinking. they should just address the ball towards the target
Old 07-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The golf industry cites slow play and difficulty as the reasons many people have given up golf. I'll be back to that in a second. They never bring up the issue of cost.

Slow play and difficulty can be related. Many golfers find that rushing forgoing a practice swing etc was a cause for a bad stroke. Granted one can stand over the ball too long, take too many swings, etc. conversely there are golfers who seem to be too impatient with other golfers setting up addressing the ball, etc.

Frankly I try hard to over look all of that. My complaints come from people who are more interested in chatting than being ready when their turn is up. I watched a foursome once and a woman sat in her cart until all three players teed off then she got out of the cart pulled the driver out of her bag and spent a good amount of time making adjustments. Better she had her driver out worked it a little while others teed off etc..........

Ready Play for the benefit of other golfers is one thing and i wholeheartedly agree . However, Ready Play because an industry only wants more bucks and gives you the wham bam thank you mam treatment is quite another

There is a lot more to this but I don't want to waste your time or the paper and ink
Old 07-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Default Ready Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
the problem is they watch too much golf channel. I played with a guy the other day who threw grass in the air checking the wind. then a little rock and roll he would finally hit the ball. way too much shaking and thinking. they should just address the ball towards the target
I think one of the big reasons for slow golf is being too polite. If you are in the left rough but ten or twenty yards closer to the green than a playing partner who is in the right rough and isn't quite ready, you don't have to wait. If you are ready to hit, Hit the damn ball.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:22 PM

I agree with how slow play can be bad for your golf game. My golf game suffers when I have to stand and wait and wait and wait to hit the ball. No I am not a great golfer but I move along and hold no one up. A foursome that I play with often on the championship courses usually can be done with 18 holes in 3 1/2 hours or a little less if no one is in front of us holding us up. I know that is faster than is normal. I am one for making every golfer that has a resident ID attend the Good Golf School before they can make the first tee time so that they know what "Ready Golf" is and to RAKE the bunker and to put the rake back in the bunker correctly and many more tips that they need to know when they are out on any of our golf courses.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.