Sloooooow play

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

slow play, pace of play, et al..... if there is a golf course or golf discussion there will always be an issue/discussion of slow play.

I believe in enjoying the game and keep moving. There are some who have no concept of the game of golf or it's rules or considerations.....and far too many do not care.

However these are the few....the exceptions....and like every other subject the minority (NOT RACE) issues always get the play!

Two foreign subjects for most golfers in TV.....ready golf and repairing ball marks on the greens. Can there be that many that just don't care?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
slow play, pace of play, et al..... if there is a golf course or golf discussion there will always be an issue/discussion of slow play.

I believe in enjoying the game and keep moving. There are some who have no concept of the game of golf or it's rules or considerations.....and far too many do not care.

However these are the few....the exceptions....and like every other subject the minority (NOT RACE) issues always get the play!

Two foreign subjects for most golfers in TV.....ready golf and repairing ball marks on the greens. Can there be that many that just don't care?
While I agree it is a minority, the problem is it only takes one group, or sometimes, one individual in a group to tie up the entire course.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJOHNS2654 View Post
I think one of the big reasons for slow golf is being too polite. If you are in the left rough but ten or twenty yards closer to the green than a playing partner who is in the right rough and isn't quite ready, you don't have to wait. If you are ready to hit, Hit the damn ball.
I totally agree with you,
Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Sage

I view this not only as a golf problem but people having consideration for other people.

At the gym, two people are talking with one standing on a machine. Not wanting to interrupt their conversation, I waited about ten minutes, before they realized I wanted to get on that machine.

One woman said to me, "she was ready to get on the machine", (I had waited ten minutes!!!). Finally, they decided to go to another machine, as they were in a world of their own. Consideration please.

BTW - Men do this also!!!

Waiting in a line at the supermarket with a person looking at the prices as they are scanned, (somewhat understandable). When the cashier is finished, it dawns on them to get their credit card, out of their purse. DOH!!!

BTW - Doesn't every cashier give you a receipt and that you can check the price of all items.

Did they think the cashier was going to give them a free lunch?

Consideration is a nice trait to have. Also patience, which sometimes I am in short supply of, but that's me..........

I guess I better not play golf.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I view this not only as a golf problem but people having consideration for other people.

At the gym, two people are talking with one standing on a machine. Not wanting to interrupt their conversation, I waited about ten minutes, before they realized I wanted to get on that machine.

One woman said to me, "she was ready to get on the machine", (I had waited ten minutes!!!). Finally, they decided to go to another machine, as they were in a world of their own. Consideration please.

BTW - Men do this also!!!

Waiting in a line at the supermarket with a person looking at the prices as they are scanned, (somewhat understandable). When the cashier is finished, it dawns on them to get their credit card, out of their purse. DOH!!!

BTW - Doesn't every cashier give you a receipt and that you can check the price of all items.

Did they think the cashier was going to give them a free lunch?

Consideration is a nice trait to have. Also patience, which sometimes I am in short supply of, but that's me..........

I guess I better not play golf.
Right as usual Joe, some people just seem to be oblivious to anyone else, or the circumstances, whether it be on the road, in the supermarket line, at the gym, in a theatre, at the golf course or anywhere else humans come into contact with one another.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Gold member

Unfortunately in The Villages our ambassadors are not given the authority to deal with a slow group immediately. It's a 3 step process, with the suggestion for them to speed up, then later a stronger suggestion, and finally anything severe needs pro shop approval. By the time this process is implemented we all know, it's too late. There will always be some group or person that backs up the course. Proper and immediate discipline is needed. Our Golf Course Management is to concerned with not hurting the feelings of residents, which in the case of slow play, allows a few people to make the day for many a lot longer than necessary.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

OP is correct----slow play is really hurting golf. Fact: There are fewer golfers today than five years ago. Its not so much about golfers our age---we can put up with a certain amount of slow play but many who are still working really can't.

Another thing, about "the money" ----if the owners of golf courses can't make a buck---guess what is going to happen to the courses. We are seeing some of that across the country now.

Here in TV, management needs to change policy and give the Ambassadors more power to deal with slow play especially on Championship Golf Courses. That would be a start.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Unfortunately in The Villages our ambassadors are not given the authority to deal with a slow group immediately.
Exactly. Ambassadors should definitely have the authority to immediately deal with a slow group. Even for a newbie, Ready Golf is an easy concept to master. Being aware of pace of play is just plain courteous.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 AM
Gold member

"immediately deal" is almost impossible unless you've been observing them from the time they tee off and with 9 holes and about 18 groups to cover that is not a logical request.

Time lag by a group can be caused by lost balls(and this per the rules allows 5 minutes for each lost ball...PER THE RULES and that alone will slow everyone up.

Yes you can detect to much jibber jabber, not ready to hit shots, incapable of hitting the ball more than 100 yds(beginner or hack it matters not), ball hawking, etc. These are all legitimate reasons to approach a group...but you have to observe it to take immediate action. A following groups word isn't good enough as people have been known to overstate the problem because of their own personal agenda(sic: attitude).

You will NEVER get all day perfectly timed rounds on an 18 hole golf course unless you go dictator on them(and most who complain would also be at fault at some point). I've played perhaps 10 18 hole rounds and all were under 4.5hrs...an exceptional pace of play for all except courses where an iron fist rules(not conducive to a pleasant experience)and one infraction gets you kicked off the course.

It would be nice if the grousers would lighten up a bit. As a 70s shooter I promise I play a lot faster than those of you who shoot in the 90's+, but since I understand you aren't as adept as I it is acceptable that you take longer than me to play.

Imagine a foursome of single handicappers playing behind your 90+ shooters foursome complaining the whole way because you take to long to play a hole due to higher scores....not pleasant.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Ruger View Post
I don't golf at all, but seems like slow would make it more fun.
they are NOT talking about sex....I think you are confused!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
"immediately deal" is almost impossible unless you've been observing them from the time they tee off and with 9 holes and about 18 groups to cover that is not a logical request.

Time lag by a group can be caused by lost balls(and this per the rules allows 5 minutes for each lost ball...PER THE RULES and that alone will slow everyone up.

Yes you can detect to much jibber jabber, not ready to hit shots, incapable of hitting the ball more than 100 yds(beginner or hack it matters not), ball hawking, etc. These are all legitimate reasons to approach a group...but you have to observe it to take immediate action. A following groups word isn't good enough as people have been known to overstate the problem because of their own personal agenda(sic: attitude).

You will NEVER get all day perfectly timed rounds on an 18 hole golf course unless you go dictator on them(and most who complain would also be at fault at some point). I've played perhaps 10 18 hole rounds and all were under 4.5hrs...an exceptional pace of play for all except courses where an iron fist rules(not conducive to a pleasant experience)and one infraction gets you kicked off the course.

It would be nice if the grousers would lighten up a bit. As a 70s shooter I promise I play a lot faster than those of you who shoot in the 90's+, but since I understand you aren't as adept as I it is acceptable that you take longer than me to play.

Imagine a foursome of single handicappers playing behind your 90+ shooters foursome complaining the whole way because you take to long to play a hole due to higher scores....not pleasant.
what course are you an ambassador on?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.