Slow pace of play on championship courses again

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Veteran member

On a brighter side, we played Glenview this morning and after 2 holes the group in front of us was a hole behind. After 3 they were 1+ 1/2 behind. Ambassador came by and we asked if he would ask them to close it up between them and group in front. He did, and they tried. Pace picked up to a reasonable level. We finished in just about 4 hrs. Haven't had many ambassadors do that in TV. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Default Slow play

Slow play has been the subject of grumbling for-friggin'-ever! (along with parking and dog poop). Four bogey golfers hitting 90 strokes each means they must hit 360 strokes during a round (20 strokes a hole).

Newbies come out and may each hit 120+ strokes each; that's 480+ strokes a round, 35 a hole. No way they can cram that many strokes into four hours. Three possible solutions:

Play a shorter tee
Play as a three- or twosome
Pick up/move forward at triple bogey

Despite those options, many people aren't aware that they're creating a problem. Educate but they'll still dwaddle. Take deep breath. Collect good jokes to tell during the wait. That's golf.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Default Cane Gardens today

I played Cane Gardens this morning and we had a group of six people two of whom were just along for the ride but the other 4 probably to be nice had no idea what they were doing on the course. The Ambassador was very nice and I mean very nice and cordial and he went down to the fairway on the 1st hole and told them that they needed to speed up play and pick up and put their balls on the green. He came back and told us that they were going to let us through on the second tee. They did and we played in less than 4 hours. BRAVO TO NICK THE AMBASSADOR HE DID A GREAT JOB!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGolfer View Post
Slow play has been the subject of grumbling for-friggin'-ever! (along with parking and dog poop). Four bogey golfers hitting 90 strokes each means they must hit 360 strokes during a round (20 strokes a hole).

Newbies come out and may each hit 120+ strokes each; that's 480+ strokes a round, 35 a hole. No way they can cram that many strokes into four hours. Three possible solutions:

Play a shorter tee
Play as a three- or twosome
Pick up/move forward at triple bogey

Despite those options, many people aren't aware that they're creating a problem. Educate but they'll still dwaddle. Take deep breath. Collect good jokes to tell during the wait. That's golf.
I agree that newbies can often be a problem and not just because they have to hit it so many times. More than the number of strokes, they need to:

1) play when it's their turn...finish the conversations later
2) not have to mark and hole every putt no matter how many putts it takes...do gimmies...casual days are not tournaments
3) learn what is "ready golf" and practice doing it
4) mark scores and put covers back on clubs at the next hole

There's lots more, but you get the idea.

And for those who are not newbies, you are not competing at the Masters or on any tour so don't take forever on each hole by plub-bobbing from every angle, taking practice swings with every club in the bag, etc. Many single digit handicappers take much longer than ones who have to hit the ball more.

You're right.....many have no idea that they are creating a problem. Golf is their priority for that given day and they don't care how long it takes them (or you) because that's all that's on their agenda. Some actually think that an entire day at the course is what it's all about....you know - golf, eat, and replay it all at the bar/restaurant before heading home.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
I agree that newbies can often be a problem and not just because they have to hit it so many times. . Many single digit handicappers take much longer than ones who have to hit the ball more.

You're right.....many have no idea that they are creating a problem. Golf is their priority for that given day and they don't care how long it takes them (or you) because that's all that's on their agenda.
Well it's about time someone called out the single digit handicappers.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Single digit golfers can be slow too. I see it all the time in our Ladies clubs here in Ca. We had one woman who wanted to be a teaching pro and did, but she was so slow, ladies refused to play with her. Finally and gratefully she quit our club and joined a private club that would tolerate her slow play - maybe.

Last week we played Match play, our opponents were so slow, methodical, deliberate and held up the entire field. We kicked their rears, we played ready golf, but what happens when a slow player is in a group, the others start compromising their game.

What's the solution, direct communication. Tell these folks we our holding the field up, putt out, head for the next box............

But when I hear you people are playing a round in 4 to 4.5 hours I'm so jealous. If we have a 5 hour round we are elated. I can hardly wait to wait for a 4 hour round, no complaints from me.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.