Old 06-11-2019, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

get use to it .... nothing going to change
Old 06-11-2019, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Boston View Post
Of course the bottom line is to move more people through a course. Designate some courses for beginners and pace them 15 minutes apart instead of 8 minutes. This way everyone enjoys the game.
Interesting concept.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:02 AM

Be patient. Some are learning. Most are retired here. What is your hurry? The game is not to be rushed! It is to be enjoyed! Relax and enjoy yourself.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

There is no way slow play is as big a deal in TV as is being portrayed here. Proof - Tee times are usually between 8 - 9 minutes apart. That equates to less than 3 hours for 18 holes. The courses are booked solid during high season. If slow play is really happening then the tee times during the day would back up. Rarely do any of us tee off late from our assigned tee times. Patience grasshoppers.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
There is no way slow play is as big a deal in TV as is being portrayed here. Proof - Tee times are usually between 8 - 9 minutes apart. That equates to less than 3 hours for 18 holes. The courses are booked solid during high season. If slow play is really happening then the tee times during the day would back up. Rarely do any of us tee off late from our assigned tee times. Patience grasshoppers.

Amazing what logic adds to a thread.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Amazing what logic adds to a thread.
Kinda like Adam ruins everything - thanks
Old 06-11-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzfun View Post
First of all most ambassadors only have the "job" because they want 1/2 price golf. Years ago the developer's policy was not to enforce pace of play. Very few ambassadors even bother to try.

There are those idiotic signs at starter shacks that say "think ready golf." They should say "play ready golf." Would probably still be a waste of paper.

So many players do not play ready golf. Years ago I played at an area offsite course with pace of play rules posted. #1 was: at the first notice of slow play, you will be asked to pick up the pace. #2 was: at the second notice of slow play you will be asked to move to the 150 yd. marker, or next tee box, whichever is closer. #3 was: at the third notice you will be asked to leave the course.

In TV slow players manage the courses. If fast/normal speed players don't like it they can leave. Of course it should be the other way around.

Each nine holes on championship holes is timed separately. You can be 1/2 hour behind on the first 9, and right on time on the second.

I've been in groups behind slow players with open holes and have had the ambassador tell us that there are no open holes, or we are right on pace. Essentially calling us liars. I try to avoid interacting with ambassadors at all.

Yes, I am retired. But being on the course for 4 1/2 to 5 hours for a round of golf is not my idea of fun. I don't play as well as I did 20 years ago, but I still play well. Slow play is not my idea of fun.

Sad that this will never change.
Sorry you are wrong on several counts:

You are correct each nine is timed but if you are 10 minutes down on the front you are 10 minutes down on the back.

The "developer NEVER said don't enforce pace of play.

The pace of play for champ courses is 4 hours 16 minutes.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanwater View Post
There’s enough courses to have designated slow play and fast play courses. Each to own need. I for one am retired but don’t enjoy 5 hour rounds. I love 3.5 hour rounds and would seek out courses promoting faster play and avoid slow play courses.
Silly suggestion, the courses would never have designated courses for speed. You pay your money and play. How could you tell a group that they cant play unless you play in 3 1/2 hours????
Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
Poor champ course design is also cause for slow play.
So, what would you do to design a more speedier course? There is going to be a new championship course built close to the turnpike; have you approached the Developer with your design ideas? Or how about having acquired the land and a few million laying around to scratch that check out and build your design?

Ahhh, The Villages; where golf course designers and greens superintendents go to retire...…………...
Old 06-11-2019, 08:10 PM
Default Move it along little doggy!

What I don’t understand is my dad said there is no play through allowed on the course. There were plenty of times that nobody was behind us and still the other people were terrible and wouldn’t let us play through. I didn’t understand until dad told me it was against the rules because each group was being timed.
Ok then how about these people who haven’t teed off yet and instead are up in the carts having themselves a social outing while we have just played an entire hole and they still haven’t teed off. Then there are the ones who take one club with them and then walk back to the cart to get another. The other writers are so right in that take a club under and over if you are not sure which club you need. I do that all of the time.
The rule is that on a par three that you get six strokes not six putts. When your ball is close enough to hole bend over and pick it up. We are not on the pro tours here. Ok I can see if there are golfers who are that good that it matters about the score but most players here aren’t that good. Nobody needs to have a discussion about their technique and a lesson while on the green.
As far as the ball marks and the pits may as just resolve that their people who think they are entitled because they live here. I agree with one guy a few weeks ago who said it is just easy to fix a ball mark or rake a sand pit if you are standing right next to it. It doesn’t hurt and there is no use of making a stand well if he didn’t do it I am certainly not going to do it for him. Again the point of not having a gathering at everyone who is playing and how they hit their ball. If you are on the other side of the course and not in front of the other player then get your club out of your bag and if it is your turn next be ready to hit the ball. If everyone tried to have consideration for others it would be much more enjoyable. This is why I prefer to play in the evening. Most people have gone to eat and there are never as many people playing in the evenings as during the day.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Default Slow play

I have often wondered what makes people think 4 hours and 10 minutes is the proper speed to play golf and one that everyone enjoys. I know that if a foursome with handicaps of 10-20 play ready golf that a normal round is about 3.5 hours. What I find sad here in TV is that all of the courses are set up for 4+ hour rounds. There are 13 championship courses here, you would think they could take just one and set it up for those who truly want to play ready golf and change the expectation to 3.45 hours. I think they might find a lot of golfers would enjoy not having to wait between every shot and if they did the math I think they would discover a couple of more tee times they could sell. I have asked many of the facility managers how many complaints they get from people saying play is too fast, you ought to see the look they give me but the system does not seem to want to try anything different....
Old 06-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Gold member

Razor, if you read my earlier post I explained one of my ideas to speed up play and it concerned the bunkers. Too many, too deep,and too large. Going in raking, getting out takes lots of time. Think 9th hole of Caroline bunker at right of green. You could get lost in there. Also think 5th on Caroline quite possibly the worst par 5 design ever. And by the way your sarcasm is not needed.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:54 PM

drcar- you are wrong. If you are 10 minutes behind on the Front nine, once you make the turn your clock starts again. So if you are on pace on the back nine, then you are fine. This was how an ambassador explained it to me. Not that it matters because as others have commented, very few ambassadors will do anything about slow play. I can only assume that they have been told not to enforce slow play.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Thank your lucky stars none here were good enough for the Pro Circuit.
Five hours is classed as a fast round there.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 AM
Send a message via ICQ to willis100 Send a message via AIM to willis100 Send a message via Yahoo to willis100 Send a message via Skype™ to willis100

They are TERRIBLE Golfers

not golfers but just people on a golf course
Closed Thread

Tags
play, slow, pace, allowed, enforce

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.