Slow play

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2019, 12:12 PM
Default Speed of play

There’s enough courses to have designated slow play and fast play courses. Each to own need. I for one am retired but don’t enjoy 5 hour rounds. I love 3.5 hour rounds and would seek out courses promoting faster play and avoid slow play courses.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanwater View Post
There’s enough courses to have designated slow play and fast play courses. Each to own need. I for one am retired but don’t enjoy 5 hour rounds. I love 3.5 hour rounds and would seek out courses promoting faster play and avoid slow play courses.
That would never work.....and you know that. In addition to the uprising that would create that would also be a form of segregation. The priority system would either be in shambles or impossible to manage and how the heck would you determine who plays well. Train in and give the ambassadors authority to regulate play would help. If you love 3.5 rounds, I suspect you are in the minority but there are plenty of off site courses that can accommodate you. Why try and adjust everyone else's game to fit yours?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Cool New to golf

We played a round of golf when we did the Stay & Play. I've only played golf one other time in Arizona. The couple we played with in TV were amazing and patient with me and gave lots of tips. We weren't holding anyone up behind us. We haven't retired yet, but I certainly hope to relax more than some of the people on these threads. Isn't being retired supposed to be about relaxing? I've had enough stress working and sure don't want to move across the country to be stressed out over golf, golf cart traffic, crowded restaurants, etc. We've been to TV several times and everyone seems to be enjoying their time there, but then I start reading the threads. Mixed messages to say the least.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:34 PM

As a newbie wearing a green shirt, let me chime in here. First, I only read the first few, and last few, pages of this thread, but many of you are correct. Ambassadors will enforce play, although mainly on the Champ courses. For the main reasons stated here. There's really no place to put people, and with 9 holes, the damage is already done(and play finished), by the time we try to intervene. For the Champs, same as some answers here. It's the clock. They're timed to the minute(of Tee-off). And they will be spoken to, multiple times, if necessary, before we call out a Mgr. But, just because a group behind them is playing faster, does not mean they have to play as fast. Lots of amateur/novice golfers in TV. As for letting them thru(like up north), with the wave system, it's hard to do. Bottom line, if you're thinking you're going to "jump on as a single or two-some, and scream thru", you'll want to find a less crowded time(s). Cheers! Drink the Kool-Aid, and perhaps something else in it, and enjoy!
Old 06-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Smile

Cold No More, while I agree with you on everything I do believe that it is more of a board meeting watching everyone’s shot. Lol
Old 06-10-2019, 03:35 PM

You already upset the 30 people behind the slow player
Old 06-10-2019, 04:16 PM
Default slow play

I have never understood this rule on the golf courses.
I have played many courses and there is always a timing factor.
It is fine for beginners to play too, but they should be told that after 4 or 5 over par, they should pick up their ball and move on so they don't hold up the entire golf course. I realize everyone can't shoot par, but let's pick up and think about all the golfers behind us.
Maybe the beginners should consider taking a few golf lessons and especially read about golf etiquette; we need to learn to share our golf courses a little better and learn the rules of golf.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogond View Post
Cold No More, while I agree with you on everything I do believe that it is more of a board meeting watching everyone’s shot.Lol
One of the more impatient guys I regularly play with in a large group, refers to them as..."union meetings."

Conversely, this same person has no problem taking 10 minutes to look for his own $1.00 ball...even after being told it's DEEP in the swamp.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

A couple years ago we had one of those also so when he wanted to stay and search for his obviously lost ball the rest of his group moved on. If he was driving the guy with him grabbed a couple clubs and walked to his ball, if he was riding the driver drove away and it was up to him to catch up. That happened maybe three times and he got the message.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-10-2019, 06:01 PM

This is "VILLAGES" Golf. People who have NEVER played golf play here because they already have a golf cart, live a few blocks from the course and feel it is somewhat free. It is the main attraction. They are TERRIBLE Golfers. 10-15 strokes per hole. (5 strokes just putting greens, etc.) So of course it is going to be slow. Also this is a retirement community. People walk very slow. It takes a long time to retrieve a ball from the cup. Got the idea. Villages Golf. Ambassadors for Executive Courses are instructed to just keep everyone happy.

Championship is a little more like the Outside World. But you will still get very slow players imitating pro players, waiting till green clears to hit their shank out of bounds, etc. But this is a Retirement Community. You generally know what to expect.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:30 PM

Of course the bottom line is to move more people through a course. Designate some courses for beginners and pace them 15 minutes apart instead of 8 minutes. This way everyone enjoys the game.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Until there are REAL consequences for slow play, starting at the professional level...it will be a lost cause.

Since I don't play the exec's, I can't speak for them, but I have yet to EVER see a championship course ambassador...move a slow group up.

Even with two holes in front of them open, it's usually a "well, they're on time"...or some other inane comment.

There are so many ways to play quicker, without rushing your actual shot. It starts with the idea that getting your azz out of the cart, grabbing the club you think you'll need, with one more and one less, walking over to your ball and then playing ready golf...is NOT against the rules.

And then there's the group that needs a union meeting to gather around and watch each player hit their ball.

And then there's the ones who can't trust their memory from the green to the next tee, so must write everyone's score (after yelling to confirm) at their cart...which they've parked too close to the green in the first place.

And then............

If everyone would simply follow the old adage that "your place on the course is right behind the group in front of you, not just ahead of the group behind you"...things would get instantly better.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:39 PM

Takes a lot of cheese for all the whine. Relax and enjoy the time. lots of new players and should be told at starter shack to pick up after 6 as the rule is
Old 06-11-2019, 06:01 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I don't mind slow play due to people with disabilities, old people who move slow, or newbies. What I don't like is when people think it is ok to hit 3 or 4 balls until they find one they like (probably not much better than the first 3).
Old 06-11-2019, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtorc View Post
Takes a lot of cheese for all the whine. Relax and enjoy the time. lots of new players and should be told at starter shack to pick up after 6 as the rule is.
Actually, that's not really a "rule"...even an unofficial one.

One 'unofficial rule' I've heard, is the one that suggests you should pick up...after "double par."

Which is still better than those having a blowup hole and refusing to put the ball in their pocket...regardless of how many strokes they've already taken.

Even if a person doesn't keep a GHIN index, I personally would just be happy to see them estimate what their course handicap would be...and then follow the Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) guidelines.

Equitable Stroke Control (Click Here)

Quote:
Course Handicap..... Maximum Score

0-9..... Double Bogey
10-19..... 7
20-29..... 8
30-39..... 9
40 or more 10
Since getting a GHIN number isn't all that expensive (+-$30 a year?), I suggest everyone should get one so that they can see how their game is progressing...or in my case, regressing.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, slow, pace, allowed, enforce

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.