Socializing on the Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Beginner question: Isn't it inconsiderate (and unsafe) to go on past the ball that is farthest from the green, until that player has hit it?
Sometimes not. If one ball is on the right side of the fairway and another is on the left side and a bit closer to the green, it is fine for the cart to drop off the golfer on the right and drive to the other ball. If the first golfer can't walk over to the cart, the cart can drive back to pick him/her up. You certainly don't want to be in the line of play or near it. If you watch pro tournaments, you will often see a player and caddie walking toward the green while another player is playing. But they always walk in or near the rough on the opposite side of the fairway.

One advantage to doing this for me is it gives me more time to assess my lie, distance, wind, hole position, etc., without slowing the group down. Sometimes it also gives me a better look at where my partner's shot finishes, saving time looking for a ball.

For golf to be enjoyable for everyone on the course it has to be a cooperative effort. Your pace of play will affect everyone behind you for the entire wave, and, on the execs, perhaps for the entire day.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Beginner question: Isn't it inconsiderate (and unsafe) to go on past the ball that is farthest from the green, until that player has hit it?
Buzzy: That is a fair and excellent question. My answer is yes and no. It depends if the ball closer to the green is reasonably in line with the intended line of flight of your ball. In other words, if you are a beginner and I am playing with you (or someone else) we are going to give you more "lead way" than we would a good experienced golfer. If my ball is 30 yards right in front of yours, Iam going to wait a few yards to the side of your ball until you hit and be ready to move quickly to my ball. TIP: If you always park your golf cart just a couple yards to the right of your ball (if you are a right handed golfer) you won't have to move your cart in order to take your stance and hit your golf ball. If you are off the fairway and my ball is in the middle of the fairway, I am going to move a bit further toward my ball (still not in your line of flight) and already have my club out ready to hit as soon as you hit your ball because nine out of ten times I already know from surveying my surroundings about how many yards my ball is to the pin. Really, its all common sense and with just a few rounds of golf under your belt you will quickly see how you can speed up your game and at the same time be very safe on the golf course. I've been playing.........nope not going to say it because sure as heck will be hit with a golf ball next time out!! Safety is very important so never get in the line of flight of your competitor's golf ball but be ready to move to your ball as soon as he/she hits. My wife never played golf prior to retiring so "we been there done that." Golf lessons (and not from your husband or S.O.) is a must IMHO before your start play. Then go out and have FUN!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am guessing that you are just kidding or you haven't ever played golf. Socializing/ chatting on the golf course and holding up play on the golf course is like taking a nap on the tennis court. Or farting in church. People may not say anything about it but it is extremely unpopular. Nine holes should be finished in an hour and a half and no more than an hour and 45 minutes, especially if you are playing from the forward tees on an executive course
There isn't any reason for slow play even if you are a beginner. Play with someone experienced and pick up after double par. Clear the green when you are finished and move your golf cart to the the next tee to mark your score or make comments. No one wants you to be intimidated and everyone wants you all to enjoy the game but you should take lessons FIRST where they will reinforce that golf etiquette dictates moving to keep up with the group ahead of you. Have your club ready to hit and take two or three clubs to the shot if you don't know which one you will want to use so you don't have to walk back to the cart to exchange a club. Don't look for lost balls, drop another one. Watch where your partners ball lands and they will watch for you. Take extra balls so you won't be looking for a lost ball in the tall grass or in the water. It is safer anyway, who knows what lurks in the tall grass or water. Go to the practice green to practice.

No one is being mean to you by expecting you to keep up with the group ahead of you.

Even first time beginners can keep the pace of golf. That doesn't mean rushing, it means paying attention. You will get the hang of it soon and see very shortly that slow play ruins the game for everyone and slows up the entire course for everyone behind you for the rest of the day. If an ambassador asks you to speed up here in The Villages, YOU are playing REALLY slow. Chatting and enjoying is one thing, but having conversations while people wait behind you is another.

15 More Tips for Fighting Slow Play at the Golf Course
Thanks Gracie, as usual you made everything very clear. You covered eveything with intelligence and grace. Like you, I think Scarecrow is ribbing everyone or has never played golf. In old movies the golfers often seemed to spend more time scocializing than playing. I think that's where non-golfers get their mistaken ideas of what golf is really like.

Last edited by bluedog103; 09-07-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Harvey knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I agree. Socialize all you want, but it is your responsibility to maintain your position on the course. It is part of the same golf etiquette that requires you to fill divots, rake bunkers, replace rakes correctly, repair ball marks, fix spike marks around the hole, etc. Here is a quote from the great golf teacher Harvey Penick. "Poor players usually seem embarrassed to play with good players. The fact is that you may not be good enough to play with the good players, but no one will notice if you keep up. The good players are not going to be watching you and criticizing your swing. They have their own games to deal with. But if you hold up play, the others will notice you - and not in a kindly manner. If you, as a poor player, lose your temper along with your golf balls, and shout and throw clubs and curse your luck, and plumb bob all your putts from both sides of the hole, the good players will be disgusted. So just keep the game moving in a good humor, and you will always be welcome." I think we can all still learn from this great teacher.
I agree Harvey Penick knew what he was talking about! "little red book" is very good reading for any golfer. You can bet that Harvey would socialize WHILE fixing ball marks on the green---- not after everybody had putted and it was time to move on.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:39 PM

Golf is a very socializing activity and there is also a time and place for socializing on the course. There's plenty of time to socialize while riding in the cart to the next tee or to your ball, as well as walking to and from the green & cart.
I have been playing golf for over 50 years and am fortunate enough to still play to a single digit handicap. I have aslo worked on course as a Ranger/Ambassador for numerous years and have seen and heard just about everything.
I am a firm believer that pace of play has absolutely nothing to do with a persons playing ability or whether they're a male or female, but with an individuals ability to have a little respect and consideration for others on the course.
Unless someone is playing in a sanctioned tournament then everyone should be playing "ready golf", especially here in TV due to the amount of scheduled play. It would be much more considerate and enjoyable for all involved whether you're beginners or advanced players.

"Ready Golf" is just a means to help maintain the pace of play on the course by following a few simple suggestions:
1. Being ready to play when it's your turn to safely hit. You don't have to be the fartherest away.
2. After finishing the hole go directly to your cart and drive to the next tee before writing your scores down.
3. Take extra clubs to your ball so you don't have to return to the cart.
4. Once your score has reached double par pick up.
5. Last and probably most importantly, play from the tee markers commensurate to your playing ability which means check your ego.

In the summer months in TV it's not as crowded and at certain periods timing is not that big of an issue. The "in season" period, usually November through mid-May, everyone wants to get their round in before it gets dark and believe it or not it only takes one group to back up the entire course.

A good rule of thumb is to try and maintain your pace with the group in front of you and you can't go wrong.

Everyone can still socialize while on the course playing but please just show a little bit of "respect, consideration & etiquette" to everyone else and the course.

Thank you
Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Well said, ronat1!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Exactly what I was thinking Indy. Everybody has to hurry to get to happy hour and reserve their seats at the square. If you have a problem tell the ambassador. They will handle it.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Ready golf is playing within the prescribed time for that particular course...not playing to stay ahead of the group behind.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:45 AM

Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Veteran member

Last edited by KeepingItReal; 02-12-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am guessing that you are just kidding or you haven't ever played golf. Socializing/ chatting on the golf course and holding up play on the golf course is like taking a nap on the tennis court. Or farting in church. People may not say anything about it but it is extremely unpopular. Nine holes should be finished in an hour and a half and no more than an hour and 45 minutes, especially if you are playing from the forward tees on an executive course
There isn't any reason for slow play even if you are a beginner. Play with someone experienced and pick up after double par. Clear the green when you are finished and move your golf cart to the the next tee to mark your score or make comments. No one wants you to be intimidated and everyone wants you all to enjoy the game but you should take lessons FIRST where they will reinforce that golf etiquette dictates moving to keep up with the group ahead of you. Have your club ready to hit and take two or three clubs to the shot if you don't know which one you will want to use so you don't have to walk back to the cart to exchange a club. Don't look for lost balls, drop another one. Watch where your partners ball lands and they will watch for you. Take extra balls so you won't be looking for a lost ball in the tall grass or in the water. It is safer anyway, who knows what lurks in the tall grass or water. Go to the practice green to practice.

No one is being mean to you by expecting you to keep up with the group ahead of you.

Even first time beginners can keep the pace of golf. That doesn't mean rushing, it means paying attention. You will get the hang of it soon and see very shortly that slow play ruins the game for everyone and slows up the entire course for everyone behind you for the rest of the day. If an ambassador asks you to speed up here in The Villages, YOU are playing REALLY slow. Chatting and enjoying is one thing, but having conversations while people wait behind you is another.

15 More Tips for Fighting Slow Play at the Golf Course
It sounds like an assembly line to me. Not sure I'd find much pleasure in playing the game if I have to always be thinking of time, time, time, time. That translates to stress, stress, stress to me. Can you tell I'm not a golfer yet?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01 View Post
It sounds like an assembly line to me. Not sure I'd find much pleasure in playing the game if I have to always be thinking of time, time, time, time. That translates to stress, stress, stress to me. Can you tell I'm not a golfer yet?
I noticed.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Gold member

It seems like there are two potentially contradictory "rules" to maintain pace of play. One says to keep up with the foursome ahead of you. The other says to pick up after double par. Suppose your group consists of four people who generally double bogey and the group ahead of you are scratch golfers. By definition, your group will be taking a lot more strokes (i.e., time) than the group ahead of you - even if none of your group ever reaches double par. In order to keep up with the group ahead, your group would have to pick up after reaching par, which might be even before reaching the green. What fun would that be?

On the other hand, if your group follows the "double par" rule, the group ahead will open a gap of several holes because of their proficiency. It seems unfair for the ambassadors to chastise you for slow play only because those ahead of you are way ahead of pace.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
It seems like there are two potentially contradictory "rules" to maintain pace of play. One says to keep up with the foursome ahead of you. The other says to pick up after double par. Suppose your group consists of four people who generally double bogey and the group ahead of you are scratch golfers. By definition, your group will be taking a lot more strokes (i.e., time) than the group ahead of you - even if none of your group ever reaches double par. In order to keep up with the group ahead, your group would have to pick up after reaching par, which might be even before reaching the green. What fun would that be?

On the other hand, if your group follows the "double par" rule, the group ahead will open a gap of several holes because of their proficiency. It seems unfair for the ambassadors to chastise you for slow play only because those ahead of you are way ahead of pace.
Odds are there is probably a slower or average group in front of the scratch golfers causing them to wait. It all evens out in the end.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post

There is only one TRUE rule. Play at a pace at or better than the guideline for that course. If you do that it does not matter how far ahead the group in front of you manages to be. They could be Tiger and three of his buddies.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.