Tee time question

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2023, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
That's kinda ridiculous that you have to get an @thevillage.net email address to get a tee time notification.

Can you forward that to your personal email address?

Also, the OP must've wanted a real specific time or course or possibly players with a lot of points to be denied in the summer.

Otherwise I hope that isn't going to become the norm in the winter.

Last winter was a real challenge getting tee times even with a wide time and course range and very few points.

I guess it will be back to playing outside TV again this winter. I'm starting to wonder if paying amenities to live in TV is worth it if your main activity is golf.

The Championship course are way overpriced in winter for what they're offering, they're nice courses but calling them Country Clubs is a bit of a stretch.
Yes - you can have the email forwarded to your personal email address. This can be done at the time you sign up.
Reasons for "denial" of reservation could have been any of the 3 you listed.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Tee times from a request are granted (or not) three days prior to your selected date. For example, if you select Tuesday, your request is finalized by about 12:35am on Saturday. You can opt in to have an email sent to you at your ***@villages.net account, or you can simply log into the system to see the results. If you do not get a tee time, all you will see is a message stating "The system was unable to accommodate your request."

The system uses a complicated algorithm to process requests. While there are many variables, four things that impact your request the most are: Size of your group; time window for play; number of courses listed; and, number of points assigned to each golfer.

For groups larger than 4 golfers, the algorithm is looking for consecutive tee times, within your time window, at the courses you specify. For example, if you have a group of 16 golfers, the system is looking for 4 consecutive open tee times. If even one tee time breaks that continuity, you won't get a slot. For this reason, it is obviously much easier to get tee times for groups of 4 or 8, than it is for groups of 16 or more.

If you specify a narrow time window, or a small number of courses, that limits the number of available tee times the system can select from. You should always specify a time window of at least 3 hours, and try listing 10 or more courses. This increases the options open to the system.

Lastly, points assessed to golfers in your group play a big part in getting tee times. The system adds up all golfer points, and determines the average point value for your group. In my experience, you want your total group average to be below 2.0 to give you the best chance of getting what you want. If you have a couple of golfers in your request with 4 or more points, that could very well nix the request for the whole group.

Any time your request is denied, you can call the tee time office, and they will tell you what caused your request to be denied. This info can be helpful when making future requests. Good luck!
There is one other condition that affects a reservation. If you have a guest, your request falls to the bottom of the other groups. In other words, the system matches up all the possible times/course before addressing any group with a guest.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
There is one other condition that affects a reservation. If you have a guest, your request falls to the bottom of the other groups. In other words, the system matches up all the possible times/course before addressing any group with a guest.
Did you read post #15?
But you’re correct, except for groups with 2 guests which would rank even lower
Old 07-10-2023, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
.See attached
At least they let you forward it to your main email. Thanks.
Logging into the Tee Time system is tedious to just check something quickly.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The algorithm is different for champ and exec courses.

Let's call them membership points, but the system is: 1 point priority member, 2 points priority guest, 6 points resident member, 7 points resident guest.
I understand there is nothing I can do to change it, but in my opinion it’s wrong and totally sucks that priority guests get an advantage over resident members. Guests should be treated as guests regardless of the Village’s resident they are visiting.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I understand there is nothing I can do to change it, but in my opinion it’s wrong and totally sucks that priority guests get an advantage over resident members. Guests should be treated as guests regardless of the Village’s resident they are visiting.
That's one view, and not unfounded.

The other view is: How much do non-priority residents pay to make it more likely to get a tee time when they have guests? ZERO. Which is probably the reason the system is the way that it is.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:54 AM

In my experience, if one person in the group has a lot of points, it'll keep the entire group from obtaining a tee time. Hubby and I had to drop out of our neighborhood group because we were playing almost every day while the others basically only played once a week with the group.
Old 07-10-2023, 04:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
That's why it was called "Priority"., now "Enhanced".
Old 07-10-2023, 04:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
That's why it was called "Priority"., now "Enhanced".
So if I want to play with a priority member who is requesting a tee time for us, even though I am a Villages resident, he/she would have a better chance of getting the tee time request if they put me into the system as their guest. It’s not right for guests, who don’t pay for an enhanced membership, to have priority over a resident.
Old 07-10-2023, 04:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
So if I want to play with a priority member who is requesting a tee time for us, even though I am a Villages resident, he/she would have a better chance of getting the tee time request if they put me into the system as their guest. It’s not right for guests, who don’t pay for an enhanced membership, to have priority over a resident.
Again, a good argument.

The others would argue that while their guest doesn't pay for an enhanced membership, their host does.

Notice how I'm carefully neutral on this one.

I also suppose, from the developer's point of view, a resident already lives here, a guest has the potential to eventually buy. A guest who can't get a tee time probably won't.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

I also suppose, from the developer's point of view, a resident already lives here, a guest has the potential to eventually buy. A guest who can't get a tee time probably won't.
Can’t argue with that logic, selling homes is clearly the top priority. Residents already took the plunge, guests are a target market. That still doesn’t make it right, but what can ya do.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:41 AM
Question Points for Playing - when applied?

When Requests are made for a tee time 2 or 3 days in advance, you can see the number of points that players have AT THAT TIME. However, when the algorithm actually is awarding the tee times, the POINT count may have changed. So which time is the agorithm looking at?
Since the points last 7 days (correct?), it is difficult to know how many points your group will have? Your advice on the point count? Also, does it make any difference when you submit the request? Do earlier submissions have any priority over last minute requests?
Thank you for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Tee times from a request are granted (or not) three days prior to your selected date. For example, if you select Tuesday, your request is finalized by about 12:35am on Saturday. You can opt in to have an email sent to you at your ***@villages.net account, or you can simply log into the system to see the results. If you do not get a tee time, all you will see is a message stating "The system was unable to accommodate your request."

The system uses a complicated algorithm to process requests. While there are many variables, four things that impact your request the most are: Size of your group; time window for play; number of courses listed; and, number of points assigned to each golfer.

For groups larger than 4 golfers, the algorithm is looking for consecutive tee times, within your time window, at the courses you specify. For example, if you have a group of 16 golfers, the system is looking for 4 consecutive open tee times. If even one tee time breaks that continuity, you won't get a slot. For this reason, it is obviously much easier to get tee times for groups of 4 or 8, than it is for groups of 16 or more.

If you specify a narrow time window, or a small number of courses, that limits the number of available tee times the system can select from. You should always specify a time window of at least 3 hours, and try listing 10 or more courses. This increases the options open to the system.

Lastly, points assessed to golfers in your group play a big part in getting tee times. The system adds up all golfer points, and determines the average point value for your group. In my experience, you want your total group average to be below 2.0 to give you the best chance of getting what you want. If you have a couple of golfers in your request with 4 or more points, that could very well nix the request for the whole group.

Any time your request is denied, you can call the tee time office, and they will tell you what caused your request to be denied. This info can be helpful when making future requests. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2023, 04:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,609 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Can’t argue with that logic, selling homes is clearly the top priority.
Imagine that, selling housing is the top priority for a company that…… sells houses (and happens to own the championship courses).
Old 07-11-2023, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

There was a thread on here about larger groups getting priority without all being priority members. It was a hot subject and I think it made one of the online news outlets.

Maybe you’re better off joining one of the bigger clubs.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by macapecod View Post
When Requests are made for a tee time 2 or 3 days in advance, you can see the number of points that players have AT THAT TIME. However, when the algorithm actually is awarding the tee times, the POINT count may have changed. So which time is the agorithm looking at?
Since the points last 7 days (correct?), it is difficult to know how many points your group will have? Your advice on the point count? Also, does it make any difference when you submit the request? Do earlier submissions have any priority over last minute requests?
Thank you for your response.
Good questions, I have wondered the same? Also, does editing a request drop it to a lower priority? Hopefully someone can answer those questions.
Closed Thread

Tags
tee, time, question, times, don’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.