Stolen Clubs

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Platinum member
Default Stolen Clubs

I am not a golfer - yet. However, we received an e-mail from a neighbor to evryone in our neighborhood. She advised that last Sunday, there were a total of 17 BAGS of golf clubs stolen from various locations in The Villages. Her sister and a friend were at Southern Trace shopping center eating at Giovanni's and both had their clubs and bags stolen.

Be careful out there!

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Sage
Default This post from an older thread on "stolen clubs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Couple of years ago my entire bag was taken from our golf cart in front of Mallory. They caught the person at a later time who had stolen my clubs and 17 other sets from within TV. The story the detectoive told me was the kid had grandparents here (how proud) and he would sneak onto the golf courses. When the ambassadors would kick him off, he would grab a club or set on his way out. He would take them from the back or front lots.

When he fessed up they found some of my clubs in Fort Myer sport shop. First thing I learned was in Florida you have to buy back your stolen clubs from the pawn shop for the cost the pawn shop paid for them.

My story ended happily because part of his sentence of probation he had to pay me the replacement cost of my clubs. This was quite a shock to me as number one I never expected to find the clubs and number 2, I certainly never expected to get money to replace all missing ones with new ones.

Since then, I never leave clubs unlocked. My wife made me a protector from some old canvas bags (below). That with a 6' cable to tie down the rain protector should make the go to the next cart. My wife has one of the club protector covers the country clubs sell for $50, but since mine is a DIY I think it is much better.
Been there done than , I never travel without this canvas bag my wife made me. As I said then, she has one of the covers sold at TV golf shops for her clubs, but IMO the one she made is better.

The Villages Florida
Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I am not a golfer - yet. However, we received an e-mail from a neighbor to evryone in our neighborhood. She advised that last Sunday, there were a total of 17 BAGS of golf clubs stolen from various locations in The Villages. Her sister and a friend were at Southern Trace shopping center eating at Giovanni's and both had their clubs and bags stolen.

Be careful out there!
I don't really like to lunch after golf....just because my clubs are unwatched. I keep my eye on Sweetie all of the time and make him stand there and hold my purse when I go to the bathroom. It deters girls winking at him.

I am equally concerned with my clubs and try to take them home first, rather than leave them on the cart unwatched.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't really like to lunch after golf....just because my clubs are unwatched. I keep my eye on Sweetie all of the time and make him stand there and hold my purse when I go to the bathroom. It deters girls winking at him.

I am equally concerned with my clubs and try to take them home first, rather than leave them on the cart unwatched.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Founder

I guess there must be a few thieves in and around the Villages. Too bad the carts didn't have alarms on them to thwart the thieves.

jlk
Old 06-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Gold member

or a tracking device in the bag
Old 06-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Default Chip in the Golf bag

Now thats a good idea Nighthawk, It would be simple to install a small chip in a golf bag, and what a big surprise when the cops show up at this thieves house with the bags in there possession. Who says entrepreneurship is dead.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post

Be careful out there!
This is why we don't eat in any Villages restaurants unless we can view our clubs from our seats. This rules out a lot of nice eateries but we aren't willing to risk losing our clubs to a thief. We have, on occasion, dropped our clubs off at home before continuing on to a restaurant. I hope they find the crooks and are able to return these golf clubs to their rightful owners. It would be nice if we could all feel safe here and not have to worry about being robbed. That is not the case and we are in denial if we think this is so. All we can do is be super vigilant and protect ourselves and our possessions.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default I understand

that the police are using "bait" golf bags....I hope they catch them....We use to have a Lafayette golf cart and I sure miss it.....It had a trunk that you could lock two small sets of clubs... Our Friday golf group will usually get a bite to eat after golf and I always take clubs home if close or bring car....Most of these thefts take place during the winter when clubs are more accessible and they can go back north and sell....
Old 06-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't really like to lunch after golf....just because my clubs are unwatched. I keep my eye on Sweetie all of the time X and make him stand there and hold my purse when I go to the bathroom. It deters girls winking at him.
Gracie, when I reached the red X in your post I thought you were saying that you think that someone would steal your Sweetie!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.