Tired of bad greens

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2017, 07:08 AM
Default Tired of bad greens

Having slow and bumpy greens on our Country Club courses has become the norm here. It is apparent that the superintendent is not concerned. It could be more than likely that many people don't know the difference and don't mind it. I played Evans Prairie and Bonifay this week with some guests I have and it was embarrassing. The greens were something like you would find at a muni with no budget. I know we have been in a drought and that has hampered green care but so has everyone else in middle Florida. Visited Disney with my quest as well and the greens were perfect. The fact is that our greens are not cared for in the same professional manner. Our greens need to be verticut and groomed regularly and they are not. Both of these pieces of equipment attach to the greens mowers quickly and are used regularly at well maintained golf courses. Just asking, Is anybody else tired of poor maintenance here ?
Old 06-30-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrizendine View Post
Having slow and bumpy greens on our Country Club courses has become the norm here. It is apparent that the superintendent is not concerned. It could be more than likely that many people don't know the difference and don't mind it. I played Evans Prairie and Bonifay this week with some guests I have and it was embarrassing. The greens were something like you would find at a muni with no budget. I know we have been in a drought and that has hampered green care but so has everyone else in middle Florida. Visited Disney with my quest as well and the greens were perfect. The fact is that our greens are not cared for in the same professional manner. Our greens need to be verticut and groomed regularly and they are not. Both of these pieces of equipment attach to the greens mowers quickly and are used regularly at well maintained golf courses. Just asking, Is anybody else tired of poor maintenance here ?
I agree. There is enough demand without maintaining them at the highest level. I also have experienced the embarrassment you talked about when a visitor has come. As bad as it is, it is still better than what it was last year. I think we have a good head greenskeeper, he just doesn't have enough of a budget.

The good news is that there are lots of courses in the general area that are maintained well. But take a look at Stonecrest for an example of what can happen when golf courses are no longer needed by the developer to sell homes.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:40 AM

Could not agree more. They are terrible and it has become the norm. No excuses. Certainly isn't for lack of funds. On the championship side it's not because of the amount of play. They are a complete embarrassment . The new superintendent came in with high accolades and high expectations. Looks like he took a one year sabbatical. There was one hole on the practice green at EP that had not been changed in 4 days. The super should be making rounds and asking opinions.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I would love to fix the greens for you. If enough people complain to the correct department, perhaps it might help.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:05 AM
Platinum member

I agree. I suspect the maintenance problems stem from inadequate budgets and or lack of skills.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:55 AM

Wonder if they would be interested in selling one of the Championship course to a private consortium and have the revenues go to them. Given the maker size I thing you would see quality back in 6 months without increasing cost to play. Let market demand drive cost to play. Just a thought .
Old 06-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
Wonder if they would be interested in selling one of the Championship course to a private consortium and have the revenues go to them. Given the maker size I thing you would see quality back in 6 months without increasing cost to play. Let market demand drive cost to play. Just a thought .
Then they would sell it to a developer and they would build houses. Been there, done that.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:40 AM

you could easily lock in a stipulation that for a period of XX years the only utilization of property YY would be for the exclusive purpose of operating an 18/27 hole golf course. I am no attorney but have seen usage stipulations into property sales before. For me personally if I could pay the same rates and have a better conditioned course itg would be a no brainer.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

The only way to change the situation in my humble opinion is by hurting them in the pocketbook.. I for one take every chance I have I give a one star rating on the courses in the villages. Trip Advisor is one example. There are numerous golf sites and places for recommendations and reviews I will and continue to. belittle the conditions of the courses here in the villages. I know some of the people that drink the Kool-Aid will not agree with me and the moderator will probably delete this post
Old 06-30-2017, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
The only way to change the situation in my humble opinion is by hurting them in the pocketbook.. I for one take every chance I have I give a one star rating on the courses in the villages. Trip Advisor is one example. There are numerous golf sites and places for recommendations and reviews I will and continue to. belittle the conditions of the courses here in the villages. I know some of the people that drink the Kool-Aid will not agree with me and the moderator will probably delete this post

The moderator works for the owner of this forum who is a private individual(s) and has no connection to The Villages, Inc.

I am a Kool-Aid drinker. Everybody knows that. BUT Not a soul forced you or me or anyone to move here. If the courses aren't up to snuff, find a private golf course/country club community. Then you have to pay for all the upgrades the folks who run the show who know not a thing about golf course maintenance decide on. AND you have to pay for food at the restaurant...THE ONLY one. Golf course grass isn't always greener on the other greens.

Think of Scotland. Play the course the way it lies, it isn't supposed to be easy.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

O come, can't putt on the railroad tracks.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Have you played any of the courses north of 466?
Old 06-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Poster based on the number of post shown for you, you appear new to TV. The topic you address has been repeated ad nauseam for the 11 years I have lived here, along with dog poop, round abouts, bad restaurants, lousy health care and bad auto/cart drivers, rude people, .............................................
Old 06-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Default Conditions

Think of Scotland. Play the course the way it lies, it isn't supposed to be easy.

I suppose that means it is desirable to have poorly maintained greens. It increases the difficulty of the game.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Wow; here we go again. Some of you privileged/entitled think these PUBLIC courses should look like Augusta. Go ahead and drive your personal vehicles to play courses outside the bubble.

Y'all squall like this is a dog poop post. Waaaaaaa.

Tags
greens, regularly, tired, courses, disney

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.