Unreasonable Pin Placements

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2016, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Why don't they make the easy pin placements on courses rated a 1 and then make them increasingly challenging till you get to a 4 rated course? Then, as we get better we can move to a higher level of challenge. They have already started using the larger cups and I suspect that will expand to accommodate those of us that just can't put...

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-26-2016, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFromMaine View Post
... and if all were in the worst place, like 8 of 9 today, where's the enjoyment? Just a difference placement of 3 or 4 feet would have been just fine.
Well let's see you woke up this morning. it's was a beautiful day so you could play, you enjoyed the company you were with. A few holes caused you to pause and think a different hole placement would have made this day perfect. Nope first three are good for me, since are no fans or sponsors to be upset with me.
I am happy that some one changes the placement so when I wake up, enjoy the game, and the company, tomorrow it's different. Just have different priorities and someone give me a challenge to think how to putt better.
If you have ever played Oakland Hills in Michigan there's some pin placement that really would drive you crazy
Old 03-26-2016, 05:51 PM
Sage

Don't mean to sound snooty, but there are pin placements that simply do not even come close to meeting USGA requirements for pin placements. There are many requirements, but here is one I'll bet some on this thread are referring to.

"An area two to three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade. In no case should holes be located in tricky places, or on sharp slopes where a ball can gather speed. A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole."

Check out the full list here: United States Golf Association

Don't let it ruin your day...agreed. But don't be under the false presumption that the pros deal with some of these more extreme placements. They don't. At least not in tournament play.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP, I agree there should be "supervision" by somebody who knows USGA rules regarding pin placement and perhaps more important supervision on the cutting and placement of the cup. We deserve better for the good of the game. The Pros should provide instruction and routinely monitor the courses for pins and holes that are not in compliance.
Just asking, do you know the USGA rules regrading pin placements?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:04 PM

Try Pool the surface is flat six holes to shot for. If golf was easy we would all be on tour!!
Old 03-26-2016, 08:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFromMaine View Post
Over this winter I have noticed some pretty unusual and, frankly, unfair pin placements. Many have been within 4 or 5 feet of the fringe and often they have been on steep slopes at the same time. Most have been on the executive courses but I have seen some on the championship courses as well.

Today (3/26/16) I played Escambia and 8 of the 9 pins were near the fringe and most were up on steep slopes as well. We all had problems with the very sharp breaks, having the ball run way past the hole or coming up just short. While there’s no excuse for missing a putt, no matter the situation, but then again, there’s no excuse for unreasonable pin placements either.

One day a few months ago I played golf with a fellow who worked as a starter. We were having to deal with similarly difficult pin placements and he told us that the staff who place the pins are not golfers. I would hope that their superiors would be, at the very least, familiar with the game and pin placements. There should be guidelines for all the golf courses for reasonable placement of the pins.

We’re not pros playing for the big bucks. We play for recreation and fun. The unreasonable pin placements take some of the enjoyment out of the game.
Right on. The people placing holes are clearly ignorant of the difficulty level they create. Played Tarpon tonight- at least three silly placements. Slows play.

Far too difficult for the level of players on execs
Old 03-26-2016, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

Poor pin placement slows down the pace of play but I don't care. What bothers me more is the mound (if that is what you would call it) around the hole that makes the ball veer off an inch from the hole.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:00 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
Poor pin placement slows down the pace of play but I don't care. What bothers me more is the mound (if that is what you would call it) around the hole that makes the ball veer off an inch from the hole.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:13 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Yea, pin placement just unfair, wind too, sore elbow .............

I take the course as I find it. No excuses for me, no do overs and no six inch holes. And I do add a stroke to my game if the ball moves
Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 AM
Location: April to November in Topsham, ME and November to April in The Villages
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

I take the course as I find it. No excuses for me, no do overs and no six inch holes. And I do add a stroke to my game if the ball moves
Yes, I do take the course as I find it and make no excuses. But that doesn't make unreasonable reasonable. BTW, I enjoy the challenge of a windy day on the golf course and I certainly have no complaint for its creator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
"An area two to three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade. In no case should holes be located in tricky places, or on sharp slopes where a ball can gather speed. A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole."

Check out the full list here: United States Golf Association
Thanks Polar Bear.

Here's the beginning of USGA Rule 16. Note that while it says there are no rules, good judgement should be used.

Rule 16:
"Requirements for Hole Location on the Putting Green

"Q. What are the requirements for establishing a hole location on the putting green?

"A. The USGA frequently receives requests for guidelines with respect to selection of hole locations on the putting greens, particularly during competitions. There are no rules regarding hole locations, so there is no such thing as an "illegal" hole location. The USGA believes that many factors affect selection of hole locations. The first and most important is good judgment in deciding what will give fair results. Do not be tricky in locating holes."
Old 03-27-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
Just asking, do you know the USGA rules regrading pin placements?
Rule 16

Requirements for Hole Location on the Putting Green

Q. What are the requirements for establishing a hole location on the putting green?

A. The USGA frequently receives requests for guidelines with respect to selection of hole locations on the putting greens, particularly during competitions. There are no rules regarding hole locations, so there is no such thing as an "illegal" hole location. The USGA believes that many factors affect selection of hole locations. The first and most important is good judgment in deciding what will give fair results. Do not be tricky in locating holes. Following are specific points:

Study the design of the hole as the architect intended it to be played. Know the length of the shot to the green and how it may be affected by the probable conditions for the day - that is, wind and other weather elements, conditions of the turf from which the shot will be played, and holding quality of the green.
There must be enough putting green surface between the hole and the front and the sides of the green to accommodate the required shot. For example, if the hole requires a long iron or wood shot to the green, the hole should be located deeper in the green and further from its sides than should be the case if the hole requires a short pitch shot. In any case, it is recommended that generally the hole be located at least four paces from any edge of the green. If a bunker is close to the edge, or if the ground slopes away from the edge, the distance should be greater, especially if the shot is more than a pitch. Consideration should be given to fair opportunity for recovery after a reasonably good shot that just misses the green.
An area two to three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade. In no case should holes be located in tricky places, or on sharp slopes where a ball can gather speed. A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole.
Consider the condition of nearby turf, especially taking care to avoid old hole plugs which have not completely healed.
Holes should be cut as nearly on the vertical as possible, not plumb with the contour of the green.
There should be a balanced selection of hole locations for the entire course with respect to left, right, central, front and back positions. For example, avoid too many left positions with resulting premium on drawn or hooked shots.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog53 View Post
Rule 16

Requirements for Hole Location on the Putting Green

Q. What are the requirements for establishing a hole location on the putting green?

A. The USGA frequently receives requests for guidelines with respect to selection of hole locations on the putting greens, particularly during competitions. There are no rules regarding hole locations, so there is no such thing as an "illegal" hole location. The USGA believes that many factors affect selection of hole locations. The first and most important is good judgment in deciding what will give fair results. Do not be tricky in locating holes. Following are specific points:

Study the design of the hole as the architect intended it to be played. Know the length of the shot to the green and how it may be affected by the probable conditions for the day - that is, wind and other weather elements, conditions of the turf from which the shot will be played, and holding quality of the green.
There must be enough putting green surface between the hole and the front and the sides of the green to accommodate the required shot. For example, if the hole requires a long iron or wood shot to the green, the hole should be located deeper in the green and further from its sides than should be the case if the hole requires a short pitch shot. In any case, it is recommended that generally the hole be located at least four paces from any edge of the green. If a bunker is close to the edge, or if the ground slopes away from the edge, the distance should be greater, especially if the shot is more than a pitch. Consideration should be given to fair opportunity for recovery after a reasonably good shot that just misses the green.
An area two to three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade. In no case should holes be located in tricky places, or on sharp slopes where a ball can gather speed. A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole.
Consider the condition of nearby turf, especially taking care to avoid old hole plugs which have not completely healed.
Holes should be cut as nearly on the vertical as possible, not plumb with the contour of the green.
There should be a balanced selection of hole locations for the entire course with respect to left, right, central, front and back positions. For example, avoid too many left positions with resulting premium on drawn or hooked shots.
All of this means that the person placing the hole needs to have a basic understanding of the game and good judgment. currently every principle addressed by the USGA statement is being ignored frequently.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I agree on the pin placements but one thing bothers me more and that is the domes around the holes caused by improper hole cutter removal. Watch any pro golf and you'll see the hole on a flat even surface where the ball does not make a severe turn just as it reaches the hole or it goes in and out or rims around. This raises all our scores significantly.
Much of the time those domes are not caused by improper cup cutting, but rather by many golfers stepping in a circle within a foot or so of the hole. What's actually happening is that an area from one to two feet from the hole is being depressed by foot traffic while the area within one foot from the hole remains high. Hardly anyone steps that close to the hole when retrieving their ball, nor should they. This is usually the case after several groups have played the course.
If six groups play the course that means twenty four people have stepped into he area to which I am referring. It doesn't take much more than that to create the illusion of a mound, or what Dave Pelz refers to s the lumpy donut.
Even with this situation, most putts hit at the proper speed on the correct line will go in. Putts that die in the hole have little or no chance of going in.
The perfect speed for a putt is the speed that would cause the ball to roll 15"-18" past the hole if it misses the hole. Slower than 15" and the lumpy donut takes affect the the ball will be thrown off line at the last second. Faster than 18" and the chance of a ball not exactly in the center of the holes going in is greatly reduced. There comes a point where even a ball that hits the hole directly in the center won't go in if it's going to fast.
Work on the speed of your putts. Lay a club down 15" behind the hole and putt from various distances trying to make the ball just come to rest against the club.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

Yea, that's my feeling as well. The game was never meant to be perfect. People like to compare the conditions that the see on television. I like to have people look at the conditions that existed over the first couple hundred years that the game was played. They played on pastures and the rule was to play the ball as it lies. Today if conditions are less than perfect people want to take preferred lies. Hitting out of bad lies is a skill required to play the game.
When I played I found nothing so satisfying than to hit a great shot out of a bad lie and never say anything about it. I knew what a great job I had done and that was enough for me.
You'll find that good players practice playing out of bad lies.
Bad hole locations? Try putting on your front lawn to get an understanding of how the game was originally played.
We actually only have to look back less than 100 years to see the scores shot by Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, Same Snead, Hogan and the rest of the players of that era and know that the conditions that we have today are far better then a US Open course in the 1930s or 40s.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,380 Times in 2,400 Posts

You can complain, bitch and whine all you want on this thread and it will accomplish nothing.
The answer is in Mike's post #3.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you encounter situations like this, contact the facility manager/pro at the country club responsible for the executive course you are on and let them know. They will investigate and have the hole position changed if they agree. Unfortunately, it won't help you, but those playing later will thank you.

Tags
placements, pin, pins, courses, unreasonable, played, golf, there’s, excuse, slopes, fringe, steep, game, starter, bucks, play, big, similarly, deal, recreation, difficult, months, fellow, enjoyment, fun

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.