Unreasonable Pin Placements

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2016, 08:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Most people get in the golf business because they love the game and they love to play. Unfortunately for most of us we find that we're not able to play very much because we spend so much time helping others enjoy their time at the the club.

You're right, I've heard many people talking about how they'd feel lucky to be able to spend every day at a beautiful country club. Believe me, it's a lot different when you are there to work than when you are there to play.
But I will admit that it was much better then working in an office. My work life varied tremendously every day. I did meet interesting people and it was very rewarding to know that I helped some of those people play better and enjoy the game more. But, it's not a bed of roses and working in an environment where every is on their recreation time and you are working can be very frustrating. This is especially so when people come in from playing golf and whine about minor problems. I often want to say, "Why don't you stay here and unpack, price and put these sweaters out while I go out and play."

I'd ask everyone who came in after playing how their day went and how they played. Most were very happy but there were always those few that felt that they had to complain about everything. Some people are just not happy no matter what. And many of these complainers would complain about the most ridiculous things. But, I'd patiently listened to all of it promising that I'd look into it.
I'm sure you're right about that. Every job has it's mundane, tedious tasks that must be done...it's like the cubicle worker complaining he's cooped up all day inside...until he sees the outside worker toiling in the summer heat or in a downpour. Then the air conditioned, dry cubicle doesn't look so bad.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Gold member
Default Really??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFromMaine View Post
If all the placements are in the easiest locations, you still wouldn't see everyone score the same.
Well it's golf isn't it? Various skill levels, various abilities, various attitudes...seems rather obvious statement you've made.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill Meister View Post
FYI, I used to be a starter/ambassador and the pin placement is supposed to be located so that there is a flat area at least three feet in circumference around the hole. This is not only for fairness to the golfers but to speed up play as well. When I would go out in the mornings to inspect my course and I notice situations with pin placements such as you described, I'd call the course managers and have the maintenance crew come out and relocate the pins. I hope those bad guys, perpetrators, toss and turn all sleepless night long after putting the pins on slopes.
Actually, the USGA recommendation is that there is no change in the degree of slope within three feet of the hole. On some greens it might be impossible to find a perfectly flat spot six feet in diameter.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
If all the placements are in the easiest locations, you still wouldn't see everyone score the same.

True, but studies have shown that better golfers will score closer to their average score as the course gets more difficult. Higher handicap golfers will score much worse than their typical score on a course that's much more difficult than what they usually play.

That's what the SLOPE system is all about. If you made a course as easy as possible the higher handicap players would score much better than their average and the better players would only score a little better than average. As the course gets more difficult, the better player would only score a bit higher and the high handicapper would score much worse.

If you took a scratch player and an 18 handicap and had them play a match at Silver Lake, or Hilltop, for example with the 18 getting a stroke a hole, the higher handicap would have a much better chance of winning the match that if they played at say, TPC Sawgrass, where the 18 handicapper might need two strokes per hole.

Moving all of the holes to the middle of the greens would benefit the higher handicap player more than the better player.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
For anyone that doubts your experience and descriptions of balls rolling off the green, they should view footage of previous US OPENS held at Pinehurst #2. And yes, those tournaments are USGA sanctioned.
Number 7 at Shinnecock is another great example as is 18 at Olympic. I don't think that most people realize how good the tour players are to shoot the scores that they do on the courses they play.

Watch next week at Augusta National. I'm sure that you'll see a few examples of a player getting int he wrong place and have no control over his ball.

Another factor in this discussion has to be the speed of the greens. I've seen courses where the greens had such severe slopes to that the speed of the greens had to be slowed. I haven't played here in The Villages, but I doubt that any of the courses have green speeds of 12 or 13.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
First let me say that I do indeed very much appreciate the dedicated and hard work that the ground crews perform over the night time hours. Considering the over 10 to 12 thousand rounds played each day during the top season, the courses are in marvelous shape and I want to thank each and every one involved.

Once again, thank you to the ground crews. You are unsung heroes.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I think the pin placements should be on the ponds because that's where my balls go.
Every time I play, the pins are in the wrong places!
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Number 7 at Shinnecock is another great example as is 18 at Olympic. I don't think that most people realize how good the tour players are to shoot the scores that they do on the courses they play.

Watch next week at Augusta National. I'm sure that you'll see a few examples of a player getting int he wrong place and have no control over his ball.

Another factor in this discussion has to be the speed of the greens. I've seen courses where the greens had such severe slopes to that the speed of the greens had to be slowed. I haven't played here in The Villages, but I doubt that any of the courses have green speeds of 12 or 13.
It's nice to hear an opinion on golf and golf courses from someone who actually has real life experience to draw upon. I am guessing the greens in the Villages are somewhere between 8 to 9. Possibly up to 10 on some courses during the dry summer months, but that is a stretch as the staff probably keeps the grass higher to protect them.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:43 PM

How here I thought it was my poor golf abilities.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P. View Post
How here I thought it was my poor golf abilities.
That's almost never the case.

Closed Thread

Tags
placements, pin, pins, courses, unreasonable, played, golf, there’s, excuse, slopes, fringe, steep, game, starter, bucks, play, big, similarly, deal, recreation, difficult, months, fellow, enjoyment, fun

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.