"Village" specific course rules...

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Question "Village" specific course rules...

I am wondering where there is a list of specific course rules that apply to golfing in the Villages. A golfing partner insists that you get a "free lift" when you hit into the tall grass and/or landscaping. He said that The Villages have that rule to protect their landscaping efforts. Is this true? Are there any other Village specific "golf rules". Oh yes, the other is you never score more than double-par on a hole, and "preferred-lie" is OK.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDz View Post
I am wondering where there is a list of specific course rules that apply to golfing in the Villages. A golfing partner insists that you get a "free lift" when you hit into the tall grass and/or landscaping. He said that The Villages have that rule to protect their landscaping efforts. Is this true? Are there any other Village specific "golf rules". Oh yes, the other is you never score more than double-par on a hole, and "preferred-lie" is OK.
Depending on the people you play with, there are approx 32000 different rules.

You can find some good information on this site:

Golf The Villages
Old 08-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
I will speak to championship courses. USGA rules apply in TV, like most courses I have ever played anywhere.

For TV championship courses, any local rules are on the scorecard, i.e., special instructions for relief from flower beds, etc.

If my memory is right you get relief from flower beds and beds with flowering bushes. You do not get relief from grass beds. I would not trust my memory I would check the scorecard. The scorecards are out on golfthevillages.com.

I do not think you will find preferred lies or double par in the rules or the card . I can tell you one thing, I am long in the cart wondering why I love this game by the time I hit double par .

Last edited by ajbrown; 08-06-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: fixed spelling, added last sentence
Old 08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I only play on the championship courses and I've played with many people who I did not know. I found the rules are the same everywhere, never heard of the free lift from tall grass.

The only rules I know that are specific to TV is in relation to the course. On par 3's you keep your cart on the cart path unless on the score card the hole is highlighted in pink, such as #5 at Hemingway at Havana. Leave the rakes inside the traps with the tip of the handle touching the edge and the rake head facing toward the middle of the trap.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Sage

I believe the "double par" rule is really a suggestion on the executive courses especially with players new to the game in order to keep the game moving. Imagine if a foursome of new players played out every hole in a dozen strokes or more per person.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I only play on the championship courses and I've played with many people who I did not know. I found the rules are the same everywhere, never heard of the free lift from tall grass.

The only rules I know that are specific to TV is in relation to the course. On par 3's you keep your cart on the cart path unless on the score card the hole is highlighted in pink, such as #5 at Hemingway at Havana. Leave the rakes inside the traps with the tip of the handle touching the edge and the rake head facing toward the middle of the trap.
I' ve played golf here for more than 2 years and don't know why the rakes need to be replaced in the trap. No one uses them . I've never seen traps left in this shape even on lowly municipal courses
Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Get yourself a copy of the "Good Golf Guide" pamphlet at any of the championship golf shops, administration office, golf academy or at an executive course starter shack. Also on the back of every championship course scorecard are a listing of "Local Rules" and "Etiquette".

You can also get on golfthevillages.com for more info.

As noted on the score cards under "Local Rules" you get mandatory free relief from flower or shrub beds, NOT cord grass.

Hope this helps with your question.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Challenger's point is well taken. In village golf class it was said to put the rake in the bunker. It was explained that it helps the lawn crews etc.

Challenger points out that some of the responsibility isn't shared by all patrons. Also What about fix ball marks. The course is shared by all.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default As I recall

one of the TOTV threads suggested that if you live in Harmeswood you do not have to rake traps......giggle...giggle, snort, snort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
I' ve played golf here for more than 2 years and don't know why the rakes need to be replaced in the trap. No one uses them . I've never seen traps left in this shape even on lowly municipal courses
Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Few fix ball marks either. Of course, the rakes are placed in the traps for maintenance purposes, however, good point that few rake the traps. As far as rules of golf in TV. USGA rules apply if you are a "serious" golfer or in a tournament. Local rules apply too. If not, whatever your foursome decides before you tee off!

Slow play is my main problem with golfing on either the Executive or Championship courses in TV. I've got no problem with "ready golf" where you are "serious" golfer or not. I disagree with allowing jeans on the courses but that is just my background and off the subject. Fore and have fun!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:50 PM

The "tall grass" is called cord grass and the championship score cards all indicate that it is not a free lift. So if you hit it there, suggest you hit a provisional so that if you can not find it (which is probable) you don't have to go back to the site you hit the last shot from.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM

At other courses in the US a "Ranger" is located at the crest of a hill to warn unsuspecting golfers that the fairway is not clear . That function is not utilized in the Villages. It would be wise for someone in the foresome to see "if the coast is clear".

This is NOT the preferred way to meet the other golfers
Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Rules is rules whether you play Executive coruses or Championship Courses so I always cary a copy of the USGA rules in my back pocket when I play
At least that is what I tell ambassadors when they ask if we can move a little faster along with then does that mean you don't want us to repair divots on the fairway and greens?

By the way to take a double par score when you have holed on Executive courses is called the "Callaway Rule"in The Villages. Its all about "Ready Golf" meaning we have too many people on the course so get your butts in gear and your playing from the wrong tees so move up.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
It's not just here, either. Played World Woods yesterday, Every trap had footprints in it. Both of us wound up in footprints and had to just blast out to the fairway instead of advancing the ball toward the green.

Some people blame it on new golfers, but I don't think that's accurate. New golfers certainly won't take on a course like World Woods.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
FYI, a second reason to leave rakes in the trap is because they otherwise can become a moveable obstruction on the course for other golfers.

p.s., some of us rake.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.