Vision issue

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2023, 07:38 AM
Default Vision issue

Been here for a couple of months now and been working on the game. Finally getting to the point where the ego might allow public exposure of same. Have read up on joining existing groups with less than a full foursome and am convinced that I can control my behavior well enough, more or less, to be tolerated.

Coming back to the game after 25 years, it was shocking to find the difference in distances that my shots carry, but *far* worse was the realization that I often can't see my ball flight - and can almost never see it after a hundred yards or so - at least whilst still in the air. And this is after researching and learning that neon greenish-yellow balls and yellowish-tinted, non-polarized sunglasses maximize my chances up to even that level of ball flight vision.

My wife helps greatly with where my balls go when we play together, but my concern is how that issue is going to fly with strangers in a group I've paired up with (with which I've been paired? :-) ) I can see where my whining could get old, and I'd hate to have to make a request from others who might not even be playing from the same set of tees.

I'm only looking to be playing the Executive courses at this stage, so that limits the problem to some degree, especially on the shots that end up around the green. But, I've found that on shots of 150 or more that the sidewaysness can end up being rather extreme, and I sometimes don't even know on *which* side to search. I *have* learnt to carefully watch for "splash circles" if lateral water is present, as I *am* typically able to see those from afar.

Thanks in advance for any insights. Surely this must not be all that rare a problem here, eh?
Old 08-03-2023, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

What advice from your eye doc? Can condition be corrected?
Old 08-03-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
Been here for a couple of months now and been working on the game. Finally getting to the point where the ego might allow public exposure of same. Have read up on joining existing groups with less than a full foursome and am convinced that I can control my behavior well enough, more or less, to be tolerated.

Coming back to the game after 25 years, it was shocking to find the difference in distances that my shots carry, but *far* worse was the realization that I often can't see my ball flight - and can almost never see it after a hundred yards or so - at least whilst still in the air. And this is after researching and learning that neon greenish-yellow balls and yellowish-tinted, non-polarized sunglasses maximize my chances up to even that level of ball flight vision.

My wife helps greatly with where my balls go when we play together, but my concern is how that issue is going to fly with strangers in a group I've paired up with (with which I've been paired? :-) ) I can see where my whining could get old, and I'd hate to have to make a request from others who might not even be playing from the same set of tees.

I'm only looking to be playing the Executive courses at this stage, so that limits the problem to some degree, especially on the shots that end up around the green. But, I've found that on shots of 150 or more that the sidewaysness can end up being rather extreme, and I sometimes don't even know on *which* side to search. I *have* learnt to carefully watch for "splash circles" if lateral water is present, as I *am* typically able to see those from afar.

Thanks in advance for any insights. Surely this must not be all that rare a problem here, eh?
I have suffered with vision issues for many years and have found most golfers more than willing to watch you tee shot and let you know where the ball approximately landed. A polite request at the beginning of the round always works for me. Good luck and keep playing.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtyoughtsix View Post
I have suffered with vision issues for many years and have found most golfers more than willing to watch you tee shot and let you know where the ball approximately landed. A polite request at the beginning of the round always works for me. Good luck and keep playing.
Thank you! That helps a ton!
Old 08-03-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What advice from your eye doc? Can condition be corrected?
Sez I'm as good as I'm gonna get. One new lens after the jellified cataract infested one was removed and a corrective eyeglass lens for the other. Guess I'm theoretically close to 20/20, but once the ball has the sky as its background. . .

BTW, just saw Dr. Licht at St. Lukes. I was happy with my ophthalmologist in Pompano Beach, but am most impressed with the operation here. Everyone was extremely professional and nothing helpful attitudes. The lack of waiting was shocking after my experience down south. I won't have to get the very first appointment of the day in order to avoid wasting two to three hours for no good reason.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Sez I'm as good as I'm gonna get. One new lens after the jellified cataract infested one was removed and a corrective eyeglass lens for the other. Guess I'm theoretically close to 20/20, but once the ball has the sky as its background. . .

BTW, just saw Dr. Licht at St. Lukes. I was happy with my ophthalmologist in Pompano Beach, but am most impressed with the operation here. Everyone was extremely professional and nothing helpful attitudes. The lack of waiting was shocking after my experience down south. I won't have to get the very first appointment of the day in order to avoid wasting two to three hours for no good reason.
Sorry that may not improve. The guys I play golf with, we have one who shares your problem, are always there to help him track where his ball is headed. At times he may get teased but takes it in stride………just part of our group.
Old 08-03-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Sorry that may not improve. The guys I play golf with, we have one who shares your problem, are always there to help him track where his ball is headed. At times he may get teased but takes it in stride………just part of our group.
Certainly no expectations of improvement. Just glad it's nothing worse - so far.

Teasing is a significant portion of the fun of the game for me. And, I have many more obvious reasons for *getting* teased. I'd *better* take it in stride if I'm gonna keep dishing it out in my standard manner. Now, were they to tell me it went left when it went right. . .

Last edited by mntlblok; 08-03-2023 at 10:20 AM. Reason: had failed to address the improvement chances
Old 08-03-2023, 01:28 PM

Fascinating topic-great heads up about the amber, non-polarized lenses being better at vision distance-I struggle with seeing my drives as well these days-I lost site of 2 drives yesterday that ended up in the middle of the fairway (where I wouldn't usually look). Anyone have any recommendations for best golf sunglasses to wear for every shot? I've read about Oakley Prizm's-but not sure I want to spend a couple of hundred dollars without really knowing if I'll like them-I do NOT wear sunglasses now while golfing, as I always feared it would effect my depth perception and the Ray-Ban's I have are dark smoke and prescription. Ideas for more budget friendly options?
Old 08-03-2023, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

I love my prescription sunglasses for golfing! can see the ball a mile away as compared with the plain glasses,
where I would lose the ball with less background contrast. .

There are times I keep my head down and have no idea where the ball actually went. . seriously no idea where one drive went several weeks ago. No one was following it for me, so it turned into a practice drive .. . .

good luck
Old 08-03-2023, 03:47 PM
Default Sunglasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeefe45@aol.com View Post
Fascinating topic-great heads up about the amber, non-polarized lenses being better at vision distance-I struggle with seeing my drives as well these days-I lost site of 2 drives yesterday that ended up in the middle of the fairway (where I wouldn't usually look). Anyone have any recommendations for best golf sunglasses to wear for every shot? I've read about Oakley Prizm's-but not sure I want to spend a couple of hundred dollars without really knowing if I'll like them-I do NOT wear sunglasses now while golfing, as I always feared it would effect my depth perception and the Ray-Ban's I have are dark smoke and prescription. Ideas for more budget friendly options?
Never pulled out sunglasses in recent decades unless the sun was low in the sky whilst driving the minivan, though still tended to try to make do with the visor. No idea whether they affect my depth perception. But, this cheapo golf range-finder I ordered is absolute *magic*! Totally new since I gave the game up. Fun, too. :-) Don't need no stinkin depth perception. And, the flip-up aspect handles things around the green.

I tried to stick to the physics in researching this issue. Kinda helps one to be a bit more immune to brand name marketing hype. Just ordered a second pair of those "tall" (47mm), amber, clip-on, flip up, non-polarized sunglasses. About 12 bucks. Goofy looking as hell. Go perfectly with my now 70 year old countenance.

I guess the non-polarization aspect is of kinda questionable value. When I got the first pair, I ordered both an amber and a "dark". Testing at the range suggested the amber was a bit better - for me.

As to advice for distances beyond a hundred yards or so, I've got nothing. Heck, I seem to see everything *else* satisfactorily at *any* distance - it's just that dern golf ball in a bright sky! It was *shocking* when I first visited a driving range back in March when first pondering a move here.

Still only see "some" of the shots. No problem seeing the low, thin ones, whether pulled or pushed. :-) When the 8 iron I hit to 4 feet today flew there without my seeing it, I was reminded of what I used to love most about the game - watching the flight of an iron shot that I *finally* hit just the way I had intended. All I got with this one was the wifey cackling about it possibly going into the hole. At least I got to repair the nearby ball mark. :-)
Old 08-03-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I love my prescription sunglasses for golfing! can see the ball a mile away as compared with the plain glasses,
where I would lose the ball with less background contrast. .

There are times I keep my head down and have no idea where the ball actually went. . seriously no idea where one drive went several weeks ago. No one was following it for me, so it turned into a practice drive .. . .

good luck
Anything "special" about these - other than being prescription? BTW, congratulations. I'm most envious. :-)
Old 08-03-2023, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

My poor wife's eyesight has never been good, and she could rarely see where the ball went.
I was her 'Seeing Ball' assistance person when we played.
Never had a problem on any golf course with other players.
Just explain your problem, other players were always willing to spot as well.
Poor girl never even got to see he hole in one drop in.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:22 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Certainly no expectations of improvement. Just glad it's nothing worse - so far.

Teasing is a significant portion of the fun of the game for me. And, I have many more obvious reasons for *getting* teased. I'd *better* take it in stride if I'm gonna keep dishing it out in my standard manner. Now, were they to tell me it went left when it went right. . .
Don't worry. That problem will gradually go away. Last week I hit a 150 yard tee shot that went about 75 yards , hit a tree and came back to the tee box I hit from. I easily found the ball and entertained the rest of the foursome.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Anything "special" about these - other than being prescription? BTW, congratulations. I'm most envious. :-)
nope, other than I got them from a local optometrist. . . not at a mall
where the prices are higher to pay for the mall rent. .

they are progressives, gray and polarized. . as dark as i could get them.
The nice part about them is that if I have to, i can drive at night with them on lighted roads
as I have a license restriction for must wear glasses. . .

however, if they are progressives, some people can't golf with them. I adapted to the progressives instantly and golf with them. However, I have noticed lately that progressives lining up puts causes me issues because of my astigmatism. .

If you have one eye near and one eye far, then glasses can wreak havoc between looking down and looking up when hitting the ball.
My wife has this issue, and has trouble golfing with glasses. . .

so there are many vision issues with golfing and glasses or not

Last edited by CoachKandSportsguy; 08-03-2023 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 06:35 PM
Veteran member

it may just be sun, glare, clouds, haze, or reflection issues. As someone already stated, try amber colored polarized sunglasses. Just a suggestion, might help! You can probably find a cheap pair at walmarts or target.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 08-03-2023 at 06:51 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
shots, vision, problem, end, flight

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.