Vision issue

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
nope, other than I got them from a local optometrist. . . not at a mall
where the prices are higher to pay for the mall rent. .

they are progressives, gray and polarized. . as dark as i could get them.
The nice part about them is that if I have to, i can drive at night with them on lighted roads
as I have a license restriction for must wear glasses. . .

however, if they are progressives, some people can't golf with them. I adapted to the progressives instantly and golf with them. However, I have noticed lately that progressives lining up puts causes me issues because of my astigmatism. .

If you have one eye near and one eye far, then glasses can wreak havoc between looking down and looking up when hitting the ball.
My wife has this issue, and has trouble golfing with glasses. . .

so there are many vision issues with golfing and glasses or not
Fully understand. Had LASIK that worked *wonderfully* for 25 years with zero drop-off in vision. Then, suddenly, oops. Weird. Had no idea that could happen. Turns out that previous LASIK surgery then complicates cataract surgery. It's always "something". :-)

The astigmatism issue is what reminded me about the LASIK - which also fixed my astigmatism. Tried contact lenses prior to the LASIK but it left the tennis balls appearing quite oblong-appearing in shape. The LASIK also took care of the fogging of the glasses problem under the lights in the winter. Could deal with just thumbing the sweat off the glasses lenses between points. :-)

Shall not bore you with the glaucoma issues. :-) Currently (apparently) under control.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:06 PM
Default Experimentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
it may just be sun, glare, clouds, haze, or reflection issues. As someone already stated, try amber colored polarized sunglasses. Just a suggestion, might help! You can probably find a cheap pair at walmarts or target.
Experimenting with all these variables makes the most sense to me. These clip-on thingies are practically disposable.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:09 PM
Default Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Don't worry. That problem will gradually go away. Last week I hit a 150 yard tee shot that went about 75 yards , hit a tree and came back to the tee box I hit from. I easily found the ball and entertained the rest of the foursome.
Yep, all these issues will be gone within a couple of decades. :-)

Hope you captured that tree episode on video.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Don't worry. That problem will gradually go away. Last week I hit a 150 yard tee shot that went about 75 yards , hit a tree and came back to the tee box I hit from. I easily found the ball and entertained the rest of the foursome.
Too funny! Wish I was there with my phone. We could have sent it to Amerca's Funniest Videos.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:28 PM
Default Cheap experimentalable lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
Experimenting with all these variables makes the most sense to me. These clip-on thingies are practically disposable.
Amazon.com
Old 08-03-2023, 07:31 PM
Default Visionary golf oldie but goodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
Oldie but goodie. . .

Stevie Wonder rings Tiger Woods and says...

"how do you fancy a round of golf"

Tiger says "I didn't think you would be able to play Stevie"

Stevie explains how he had a caddy put a device in each hole that emits a constant high pitched tone and he can tune an earpiece into, which tells him the direction and distance to it.

Tiger says "you have to understand Stevie I am a pro golfer, it will be too much of a mismatch"

Stevie says" OK well tell you what, a million dollars says I win or are you chicken"

Tiger says "OK done, when do you want to play?"

Stevie says "any night this week"
Old 08-03-2023, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtyoughtsix View Post
I have suffered with vision issues for many years and have found most golfers more than willing to watch you tee shot and let you know where the ball approximately landed. A polite request at the beginning of the round always works for me. Good luck and keep playing.
Yup!

I've been asked to help some older golfers track their ball...

I tell them "I got it!", then I promptly forget where it went as we drive down the fairway...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-03-2023, 07:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Sorry that may not improve. The guys I play golf with, we have one who shares your problem, are always there to help him track where his ball is headed. At times he may get teased but takes it in stride………just part of our group.
We have one guy like that in our Thursday group... Was a former minor tour player, but age has really dealt him a crappy hand... He has trouble seeing the ball on the exec courses 130 yds out...

Occasionally, he'll top one off the tee, traveling only 50 yards or so... We'll all shout "We got it!" He laughs and calls us names...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-03-2023, 08:05 PM
Sage

Try this site...

Sunglasses For Cycling, Pickleball, Running, Sports & Active Lifestyle

I bought a few pair for golf and pickleball. Their golf lenses really seem to help...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-03-2023, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Yup!
I've been asked to help some older golfers track their ball...
I tell them "I got it!", then I promptly forget where it went as we drive down the fairway...
Happens to me all the time. . if I have to remember where my ball went and someone else's

Old 08-04-2023, 05:29 AM

I am opting for cataract surgery for just that problem.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:32 AM
Default Electromagnetism

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Try this site...

Sunglasses For Cycling, Pickleball, Running, Sports & Active Lifestyle

I bought a few pair for golf and pickleball. Their golf lenses really seem to help...
Tried the site and learned a bit about VLT on this page. What is visible light transmission? | Banton Frameworks Reminded me that I don't *want* to wear sunglasses and maybe why the "amber" colored lens compromise makes some sense. I definitely see *less* with sunglasses on. Hate em for sports.

Was hoping to do some solo golf on the hot afternoons on the executives once the cart arrived, maybe playing a couple of balls. Could mostly get away with walking solo on the MickyLee, though it was always a guess where the ball would be on the 18th hole. :-( If I'm gonna have to learn to hit it *straight*. . . I just don't know.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:42 AM
Default Cataract surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaz1 View Post
I am opting for cataract surgery for just that problem.
Opted for "early" cataract surgery in the "already affected by glaucoma" left eye so as to qualify for coverage for the cool little drainage tubes they put in that have dramatically dropped the pressure in that eye. Vision is plenty good in that eye now (other than the "blind spot" area on the lower left), but that "golf ball in the sky" thing seems unaffected. Hope yours works out better. Did specifically ask the ophthalmologist the other day if he knew of anything else that might help and he said "no".
Old 08-04-2023, 07:22 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Decreasing visual acuity is quite common for those of us at a "certain age." I would hope that folks in your group would be understanding, and help you spot your shots.

That said, there are a few things that may provide some level of help. On cloudy or overcast days, a yellow or orange ball might help. They tend to stand out better against a white sky. On sunny, blue sky days, a white ball works well for me. My wife loves to play with those pink or red balls. I can't see those things under any conditions!

Another thing to try would be glasses with yellow lenses...think shooting glasses. Yellow lenses filter out blue UV light, and enhance depth perception. They also increase contrast, and make focusing a little easier.

If you already wear corrective lenses, and they are progressives, consider getting a pair of single vision glasses for golfing. Most people I know who have done this went with a distance prescription, and found them to be just the ticket for golf.

Last tip: Buy cheap balls. If you're going to lose them anyway, no sense playing with Pro V1's!
Old 08-04-2023, 07:52 AM

I have a similar sight Issue and have no problem in asking my fellow golfers to watch my ball and indicate where it lands. However, I have little use for golf but do like the English language. Congratulations on correcting your sentence that ended with a preposition. You stand alone in that respect. Being retired with nothing else to do I like analyzing replies and in your case it's confusing. I realized that it matters little, but I find it interesting that your handle indicates possibly an Englishman (bloke) and yet your final sentence ends with an 'eh?' which might indicate Canadian. I know, too much time.

Last edited by Kathyo; 08-04-2023 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Clarification
Closed Thread

Tags
shots, vision, problem, end, flight

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.