What would you do??

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default What would you do??

Your foursome is playing a brisk game and you are on the 4 th green..its a par 4 370 yd hole. While lining up your putt......a ball has been hit onto the green while you are still putting with no alert from the upcomming foursome? Its a close call from someone being hit. What do you do????
Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 AM

Finish the hole and move on ! If it happens again, I would pick up tha ball I found on the green and toss it back.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Sage

If the shot came from the tee box on a 370 yard hole, I tip my cap.

A lot of it has to do with HOW the shot got there. If the ball lands in the center of the green, IMO this is unlikely an accident and I would be pretty upset. I would certainly stop putting and give my best glare back toward the fairway. If however, the shot rolls up on the green, it may well be a career shot, hit a sprinkler head, etc. I would still stop what I was doing and look back, but could understand how this could happen.

How mad or aggravated I get is also based on the offending person's next move. An apology goes along way. If a "player" (someone who understands the game and etiquette) ever did this by accident they would make every effort possible to catch up and say, I am sorry, I did not <put reason here>.......

Me personally, I would never touch the other ball. If someone does this to me and I feel it was intentional and they showed no remorse, I would let the ambassador know. If someone is enough to hit into someone on purpose, there is no telling their reaction when provoked.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

I agree. I would assume that like me, he crushed his drive 200yds (heehee) and still had a big 3 wood left and figured he wouldn't hit the green and then went ahead and caught it all. Though I am suprised that no one came up to apologize. I would probably wait for them to finish and ask them who hit it, and then buy the first round to congratulate him on a career shot and THEN explain a little golf etiquette.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:06 AM

Might have been an errant shot from another fairway....
Old 09-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

If you play golf long enough, you will do it to. You think it's 200 yards to the green, plan on hitting your 150 club because your 200 you have no confidence in, tail wind, shot of your life, and it rolls onto the green. ALWAYS go apologize. If someone does it to me once, I wait for them to apologize. They almost always do. If they don't and they don't do it again, I chalk it up to beginners. If they do it again, I slow down. Again and we have a come to Jesus meeting.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Veteran member

Back in the high school days I caddied at a local well to do country club and one day the foursome following us kept hitting into our group. This went on for about 4 or 5 holes and it was just not one person. Well our foresome had enough when 3 balls came onto the green so our guys picked up their balls, asked for their drivers, teed the balls and on the count of three fired back at them. That ended that. Teach them to hit into a foresome that the highest handicap was a 4 and included 3 members of the country club board.

Last edited by Hawkwind; 09-04-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Default Once is okay...

Once is okay, if they continue to hit to close it is not okay. I would drive my cart back to see them and offer to let them play through so that I could then hit into them. No one has ever taken me up on that offer and it always ended the problem.

Charlie
Old 09-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie49 View Post
Once is okay, if they continue to hit to close it is not okay. I would drive my cart back to see them and offer to let them play through so that I could then hit into them. No one has ever taken me up on that offer and it always ended the problem.

Charlie
Great answer...
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

A ball that rolls onto the green while you are still putting is one thing BUT a ball that clearly lands on the green in the air needs to be taken seriously. I know someone who was hit in the head with a golf ball...not a pretty sight with months of rehab. You say once is OK?? Something like this only needs to happen once for someone to get seriously hurt....and most likely it is an experienced golfer who is the culprit. I would not be confrontational but I would definitely clean the green of any debrie while I was putting.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Default Fore

I had a similar situation right here in TV. The ball actually hit me in the leg while I was on the green. No "fore" or other warning, or, apology. I picked up the ball, put it in my pocket, glared at the offending foursome and continued to complete the round. I then left the ball in the cup of the 9th hole (exec).
I don't need no stinkin ball and wanted to leave a message. There is liability for such behavior for those who hit into the group ahead as there is no "assumption of the risk" in such cricumstances
Old 09-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default What and Who would do that?

I've found that men have more tolerance for shots that land on their green from the tee....What do you think?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 PM

The problem with hitting a ball back at the offenders is that you might actually hit one of them. Liability for that would be endless.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Platinum member

For the first offense, I would put the ball on a tee. That should send a message. The second time I pick up the ball and it's gone. Then I call the pro shop and report the nit wits.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.