What's going on with Briarwood?

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2023, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

All of the courses are on a schedule for both aerification and for green replacement. The aerification will occur on schedule regardless of the condition of the course as that is what ensures continued health for the green.

Green replacement also occurs on a schedule, and they adhere to it. Unlike aerification, replacing greens should really be done on an as needed basis, not on a schedule. If proper maintenance were done on the greens (like at most other courses in the world), they would not have to replace greens as often as they do. This is The Villages band aid to handle greens that they have let go too long.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

I took a lovely walk through Briarwood this morning with my dog. Maybe they ought to just leave it that way. It was certainly more pleasant walking under all those huge oaks, than suffering in the heat under the high-tension wires on the "Multi-Modal Path", without so much as a crepe myrtle to cast some shade.

But I noticed something odd. All of the dead greens and tees had obviously been aerated so recently that the grass hadn't had time to fill in the holes. Why would you aerate a lawn and then immediately kill it? I can think of three possible explanations:

1) We're in a drought and didn't have enough water to keep 40 par-three's green, so we sacrificed one up North.
2) The guy we hired cheap to ride the fertilizer machine doesn't read English and got the bags mixed up.
3) We had an extra quarter-million bucks sitting around and decided to pick the prettiest course out of 40 that didn't need renovation after the snowbirds went home, and just go ahead and renovate it.

Oh, well. I seem to be the only one here who cares, and I just got a great walking path out of the deal. Maybe next January, when some of my fellow Northies discover they can't get a tee time, there will be enough interest to revisit "The Mystery of the Murdered Golf Course".
Old 06-15-2023, 12:37 PM

I would agree that Briarwood is in the top tier of executive courses in The Villages. The Villages Golf Maintenance Survey that is available for all of you to complete after playing a round of golf puts Briarwood at the top. Briarwoods greens scored 6.6 on a 1 to 10 scale. 6.6 is the top score for all executive golf courses. Tee Boxes scored 6.4 and was in second place. Bunkers scored 6.6 and were in a three way tie for 5th place.
Villages Golf Maintenance Survey is a Google Form and hosted by Google. 900 responses were recorded prior to a recent change in the questions. The survey results were cleared out to make room for new and additional questions. I changed the focus from "tell me what is wrong" to "tell me what is right". The old survey focused on only Tee Boxes, Bunkers and Greens. A new section was added for a group called Fairways, Collars and Rough. The survey can be located at "https://forms.gle/r1KiDohrECcowcRS6". The survey covers 41 executive, 13 championship and 3 pitch & putt golf courses. After submitting your results you will have an option to review all of the results to date. Results can also be found on my Google Blog which will be posted from time to time. The location of my Google Blog is "executivegolfmaintenance.blogspot.com".
Closed Thread

Tags
grass, briarwood, walk, heck, day

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.